PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Red fox vaccination

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

LexieMay

Red fox vaccination

Postby LexieMay » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:16 pm

I was told by my breeder to not give foxes live virus vaccinations. (Mostly grays - he said he has lost whole litters before) I have a marble (red) fox now and planned to give her killed virus vaccines just to be safe, but it's proving quite difficult to locate these. Some I can only find a modified version of. So, my question is what vaccines have you given your red foxes and had no issues? Were they modified? I can't seem to find much supporting info on this other than a study that did experience some deaths after vaccinating gray foxes with a live virus for canine distemper. Lexie does not stay at home - she goes everywhere with us and would be heartbroken if we left her so I feel not vaccinating isn't a safe option. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
LexieMay

Re: Red fox vaccination

Postby LexieMay » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:37 pm

Meant to ask if you know where to get the killed virus vaccine if you know of one. I found one for rabies, but would have to have my vet order it. The modified I found will also have to be ordered by my vet and it looks like I have to purchase a whole tray, which is VERY expensive.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Red fox vaccination

Postby Ash » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:29 pm

Most vets are switching over to killed and modified. Sometimes people have had to order a whole tray before in the past if their vets hadn't switched over yet. It's very important in gray foxes not administer the distemper vaccine since grays for whatever reason are very likely to contract it from the vaccine.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”