ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Oral flea treatment?

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

northfish

Oral flea treatment?

Postby northfish » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:55 pm

Does anyone know of a safe flea product for small exotics that could be given in food? I have used Revolution in the past but i cant get it onto the animals i want to treat as they are not tame and don't like to be touched and are lightning fast! Even my tame girl wont let me put it on her.

I was told ivermec is good for fleas so i got some as i want to worm them as well and they said it was better then Fenbendazol, which i have used before, but now i am reading it does not work on fleas?

Has anyone used Revolution on Marsupials?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Oral flea treatment?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:45 pm

To ivermectin does not treat fleas. It's very similar to Selamectin(revolution) so they do similar things but ivermec does not do fleas.

What species are you wanting to use oral on?

A quick google shows Selamectin has been used on marsupials like wombats and swamp wallabies for mange.
northfish

Postby northfish » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:27 pm

Kinks and genets. I just cant get spot types on them:-(.

Yes but i was wondering if anyone had personally used it on wallabies or sugar gliders and had any issues, they don't need it but wanted to know just in case they ever do.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:04 pm

northfish wrote:Kinks and genets. I just cant get spot types on them:-(.

Yes but i was wondering if anyone had personally used it on wallabies or sugar gliders and had any issues, they don't need it but wanted to know just in case they ever do.

sorry, I really don't know anything about kinks and genets.

all I can think of is "bravecto". it is for dogs, it comes in a pill form and is good for fleas and ticks for 3 months.
but, don't take my word for it on kinks and genets, ask your vet if it can be used, or something similar :shrug:
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:51 pm

I used revolution on Aurora when we thought her fur problem might be mites. Not a marsupial though but she was fine with it.

"bravecto" Never heard of it. Is that OTC? I wouldn't try one that's not prescription(though maybe is generic Program[think it's out of patent]a different oral flea med and wold be okay int hat case).

Comfortus is what my vet usually recommends. But the idea of oral makes me nervous even for my domestics. Found no info on it used with exotics so I'd be reluctant with it.

I didn't find mention of fleas or treatments for them at all in the kink/coati group I'm in. Maybe not a common problem.

Program/lufenuron is suggested for wallabies, mustalids, and rabbits (from fowlers zoo book). So it is likely okay but sorry I can't help with actual experience or even know anyone who has.

My anteaters never have fleas even when my domestics do.
northfish

Postby northfish » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:56 pm

Thanks!
I am not sure what is going on really, I have had exotics several years here and never had flea problems with any, but this year i have seen several fleas around but no one is showing any obvious signs they have them, very little scratching or anything, but i am worried a few fleas may suddenly explode in a ton of fleas, and I am about to move them into new enclosures, which is why i wanted to be on top of it. Which would not be a big deal if i could get them to cooperate with it lol.

Does diatomaceous earth really work that well? I was thinking of sprinkling some in the cage bottoms to help kill any flea eggs/larva.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:18 pm

I've not had that much luck with diatomaceous earth and fleas, works great on internal parasites though. Helped some with Hyzzie as she was thick coated so once powdered in it stayed with her awhile. Can help in carpets and such if you get some in the house.

I had much better luck with beneficial nematodes. You buy them and spray them on the yard or in this case around the outside pens. You wont see the effect instantly like with chemicals but after a bit it drastically reduced the amount of fleas they came in with from the yard.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:12 am

TG,

the braveto was prescribed by my vet. 50.00 a pill :roll:
I get good and bad reviews on this type of flea treatment.

Juska said she has been using it for quite awhile on her dogs, and no problem. but, on other animals species, I don't know.

northfish,

there is a spray I have used "ortho" I think it is pet friendly. it is suppose to kill fleas, ticks, ants.
since you are moving them to another pen, you can spray the ground, with ortho, or whatever else you can find.
let it dry/settle for about 24 hours. maybe you can spray it before you move them to their new pen.

Juska

Postby Juska » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:48 am

Emo gets Nexgard but I do not know anything about giving it to exotics. I think there is a cat dose of it as well but you'd have to look it up. I much prefer Nexgard over topical flea treatment.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:02 pm

Okay looked Braveto up it is vet prescription but it says it lasts 3 months so if they did have a reaction your stuck with it for 3 months. It seems to say it's fairly safe but I'd never dream of trying it on an exotic.

Nexguard says for dogs only, which means it probably caused issues in cat when tested so I'd not try exotics.

That's one thing to look for when treating exotics. Cats are more sensitive to meds than dogs so try to look for cat treatments and it can be good to start with cat does then just go to dog size dose if needed.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:31 pm

Juska,

couldn't remember the name of the pill you use. not sure how similar it is with other ones.
but, for exotics, I don't know either.

TG,

Good point, the one for cats if there is any would probably be a better choice.
but, asking a vet that does exotics hopefully, would give a straight answer might be more assuring. :shrug:

northfish

Postby northfish » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:12 pm

Thanks all or the help!
I am looking into the Frontline spray mentioned in the Flea meds thread up top, it seems like it might be good since the person mentioned using it on baby wildlife safely, and i don't have a ton of fleas.
All the "large" animals i have are being moved into a new area wile we are preparing to move, just got done the AC, vent fans and lino floors down , so it is a flea free area and clean enclosures so i want them to move in flea free! I was thinking of trying to put a spot on when i move them but that might just stress them more and still be pretty tough to do but i am giving it some more thought.

If i do that i was looking at some of the generic spot on types and saw this https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Bottle-Adva ... op?ie=UTF8 and it says it is good for several species including cats and ferrets.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:02 pm

Just seen a strong recommendation for capstar and revolution for opossums. Capstar is oral but just kills the fleas on them at the time for a day. So could be a good solution for the wallabies as you could treat them when you move them so they don't move any fleas with them. You would have to discus with the vet if it would be possible to somehow give a small enough dose to gliders though.

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”