ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Fable Hurt His Leg

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fable Hurt His Leg

Postby Ash » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:21 pm

So Fable has injured his back right leg. He isn't using it, and he's not jumping up on anything, so it's obviously causing him discomfort and pain. He even dug himself a little shallow hole to sleep in. Usually he rests on his fox high rise. I called my USDA emergency vet, but they wouldn't see him because they don't have a license to see wildlife... And my vet won't answer any calls.

So I called another vet (the veterinarian I'm planning on switching to now anyway), and am now waiting to hear back...

I think it's a sprain. He will probably need some anti-inflammatory and pain medication, right? If he needs pain medication, it's just motrin, right? Obviously I don't want to choose an alternate that wouldn't be good for Fable, but IF it is the exact same medicine at the store, it would be way cheaper. And keeping costs down is every owner's goal.

I'm worried about him... When I touched his leg he would whine and pull it away. But he was still super happy to see me.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fable Hurt His Leg

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:53 am

No the only human one you could give is aspirin. The rest can have deadly consequences. The anti-inflammatories for animals are different.

Asprin is 10-20mg/kg every 8 hours but you want to get switched to a vet one as soon as possible as it can cause vomiting and bleeding issues but not as likely to as the other human ones which will essentially cause a dog to vomit blood to death.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:03 am

Thank you for responding. I did some more research after asking here, and yeah... DEFINITELY not something I want to risk. The vet got back to me, and we have an appointment tomorrow morning. He said I could give 7 milligrams of ibuprofen if I wanted to alleviate Fable's pain tonight, but that he couldn't offer me that advice as a professional. But I don't think it's worth the side effects that can happen.

They're going to take x-rays tomorrow morning and get him on some painkillers. I'm certain he'll sleep right through the night though. I feel bad that he's in pain, but there's nothing to do about it tonight unfortunately...
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:06 am

One of the vets at this clinic is actually the vet I'm planning on switching to for my USDA vet. So I'm excited to meet her.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:41 am

Hopefully he rests well, and also that would mean it just hurts to move it and not all the time, or he'd be more restless.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:00 am

Oh, that's true. Okay, that makes me feel better about him for tonight.

Ifrit was bouncing on him... but I made her quit. She was bugging him a lot. She thought it was weird how he was acting so kept flopping herself onto him and squeaking to try to get him to play. Poor guy. I hope he will feel better tomorrow after the exam.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:08 am

Hyzzie was like that. Always thought she could make someone better with play. Not quite getting the cause and effect right on that though.

Hope it's just a sprain.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:31 am

sorry to hear about Fables leg icon-sad
are you able to put ice on it for a little?

are you sure it is not broke? my first fox (thelma) broke her leg from playing with the dogs.
I thought she just sprained it, but, that day, she never seemed any better and obviously in pain.
took her to the vet. she had to wear a cast for 4 weeks.

if possible, can you keep ifrit and fable separate until Fable gets vet care?

again, sorry to hear about Fable, I know how upsetting it is not knowing what is wrong.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:01 am

Hope all goes well for Fable. Likewise with your meeting the vet (if she is the one you see).
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:46 pm

Thanks for the support, you guys. I appreciate it.

I took Fable in today to the vet, and she said she doesn't want to put him under the stress of x-rays since he would have to be sedated. She thinks it is a sprain, or that he tweaked his leg. She said it's always possible he has a small fracture, but even if he did, she said she would still give the same advice that she was giving for the sprain.

He isn't supposed to jump for the next week or two, or be with Ifrit. So he is in the reptile house. The reptiles are actually outside at this time of year, so none of the cages are in there anyway. He seems pretty miserable... but I gave him his medicine. He's on an anti-inflammatory and pain pill.

He was amazing in the car and at the vets. At first he was uncertain about the car ride, but I put him on my lap and he smiled and looked out the window and curled up and slept on me. When we arrived at the vet's, he was really happy to see everybody. They see foxes a lot, and they said that he truly was the best, most well-behaved one. Even when the vet was feeling up his leg, all he did was make a soft growl sound to let her know that it hurt him. But no aggressive behavior at all, not scared. He even just curled up and fell asleep in a ball there against a vet tech's shoe, heehee.

Ifrit is going to miss him for the time being. But I'm sure Fable will be just fine without her, lol.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:46 pm

Makes sense. That happened to Quasi once. He just went tripod on a walk. I was worried since Chihuahuas are prone to knee problems but they don't normally just blow out like that, so vet did the same with him and he recovered fine.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:21 pm

Fable started destroying the reptile house, lol, so I had to move him. I decided to use the catch cage for his recovery pen instead.

So I put the catch cage inside the fox enclosure with boards attached to provide shade. So now he's in a small 5x5x6 pen, which will hopefully keep him from moving around much. Ifrit is going crazy trying to get to him through the bars, but she won't succeed. :P Fable actually is taking the change of space well. I thought he'd be more stressed about having his space limited, but he's okay. I think his leg isn't up to snuff yet which is why he's been less mobile than usual anyway.

Since his recovery pen is now in the fox enclosure though, he has to be careful that he doesn't fall asleep against the walls. Otherwise Ifrit will reach in and poke him with her paw to make him move, lol.

He's not favoring the leg anymore, but does seem to move more carefully when using his hind legs. So the little guy is recovering!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:36 pm

Since he's doing a bit better a bit of an upgrade in room seems fine since he is still separated. Glad he's recovering nicely.

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”