PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Advice on a injured crow

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

MClover

Advice on a injured crow

Postby MClover » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:15 pm

Hi,

I need some advice on the treatment of an injured crow.

i, we took in a crow that was visibly distressed and barely able to fly/ hop short distances three weeks ago. When we found him he was exhausted and starved. We brought him in and offered him food, which he immediately attacked and ate very quickly. For the first week, he did not move except to get food and water from his dishes. Now he is much more alert and interested in his surroundings, although he does tire quickly. He remains lame from the ankle down and sometimes sits tilted to one side:( He is very complacent when we handle him. he does peck at our hands sometimes, but not everyday, and usualy not if we kneel down to his level and .

1. Can crows have a vitamin A deficiency?
A. If so, what are the symptoms?
2. We are feeding him dog food. Is that nutritionally sufficient for him?
A. What else should we include in his diet?
3. A vet that does not specialize in birds prescribed him Baytril for 14 days to treat a possible infection in his lower leg joint (ankle). Is this ok to give to him?
A. If so, how much and how long should we give it to him?
4. He cannot easily move his legs from the ankle down, and cannot grip very well with his feet. What things commonly could cause him to be lame from the ankles down?
5. MC weighs 330 grams. Is that an acceptable weight for a crow?
6. He has no external parasites that we or the vet have detected. How can we determine if he has parasites in his intestinal tract? We want to be sure he is as healthy as possible and so we may want to "worm" or "de-parasite" him. Do recommend that we attempt this?
A. If so, how do we proceed to do this?
7. Are there any over the counter supplements we should be giving him?
8. Does it help him to be around him all the time so that he does not feel alone? We talk to him nicely and he does let us pet him, although if we move too fast he will sometimes peck.
9. We have two other birds in the house, a lovebird and a Green Cheek Conure. They hang out in his cage with him. He pretty much ignores them even when they walk right up to him. Is this ok?
A. Is it normal for him to not care? The other birds do not touch him or seem to bother him even though they eat his food.
B. Do they provide company for him or do crows not care about other birds?
10. We keep the door to his cage open most of the time so that he will not feel so much like a prisoner. He sometimes hops out and sits, seemingly content, on the floor right outside his cage. He has flown up to 25 feet in the house a few times and when he lands he is breathing hard and seems exhausted. Is this movement harmful to him?
11. His xrays show a healing fracture of the ulna in one of his wings. It looks pretty solid and nearly straight in the xrays. Should we worry about it?

The xray are at this link
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mjwuzqz4ol53 ... _Ip6a?dl=0
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Advice on a injured cow

Postby Ash » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:56 pm

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will hop on and give you some advice, but if you could get a hold of this guy: http://www.corvitude.com/corvidranch.html, he would be an amazing resource for future crow care since he specializes in corvids.

Really hope everything goes okay... Keep us updated. icon-sad
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
MClover

Postby MClover » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:59 pm

Thanks so much
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:08 pm

Your crow should definitely be dewormed if possible since came from the wild. If it was captive born and living indoors all the time, then it wouldn't be necessary. But it is very possible it does have worms. Diatomaceous earth is often used to worm poultry. It is safe to use on the outside of the bird, and on the inside. It is a natural product, and will not harm the bird but can still guarantee good worming results. You can find it in a farm store or buy it online.

Oh, even BirdTricks recommends it. :) I highly trust them as a resource. http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/is-using-diatomaceous-earth-to-kill-bugs-safe-around-parrots/
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:09 pm

The hard-breathing after flight isn't harmful. He's just exercising. In captivity he doesn't get the opportunity to fly like he would in the wild, so the muscles are not going to be as strong. So he's just working his heart in a good way.

Make sure to provide him water after a long exercise session (flying).
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:11 pm

If you are going to keep a crow as a pet, you need to provide a lot of enrichment. They are extremely clever animals. You should spend as much time with him talking to him as you can. It will be very beneficial. Give him puzzle toys. Put food in a puzzle that he has to figure out, and he very likely will. The mental stimulation is very important for these guys.

That's part of the reason why I'm intimidated when it comes to keeping corvids and parrots. They're so smart.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:13 pm

He probably just isn't interested in the other birds. Maybe he thinks they're too dumb to be proper company. :lol: :icon-wink: That's likely just a behavioral thing. Whether it is typical of all crows or maybe a personality trait he has, I would not be worried about it.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:14 pm

I refer you to Corvid Ranch to get ideas on diet and vitamins, normal weight, and some of those other specific questions you had. Hopefully I could help answer a few of them for you.
MClover

Re: Advice on a injured crow

Postby MClover » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:06 pm

thanks for all the feedback so far. I sent an email Corvid Ranch and I am awaiting a response.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:54 pm

I'll PM you a crow group that can help if you join. They should be tons of help. Lots of collective experience with rescuing wild corvids.
MClover

Postby MClover » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:13 pm

Thanks so mucg
MClover

Postby MClover » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:05 pm

Hi, I was able to get an online Avian Vet from 'justanswer.com and he gave me the following diagnosis. Now I need to find and honest avian vet in the Los Angeles area that i can afford.

'Infection can be addressed with an antibiotic such as Baytril but the changes I see in the joint with apparent joint fragments are chronic and unlikely to be satisfactorily addressed. If the other joint is dislocated - and I wish I could make that call one way or the other but I would need to palpate this joint and X-ray it from 2-3 different directions - it might be braced or fused. You'd be looking at quite an expense. First things first. Have a true avian vet examine and X-ray him properly. Please continue our conversation if you wish.'

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”