PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Potty Training Foxes

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Drake

Potty Training Foxes

Postby Drake » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:00 pm

Hey guys it's me again,

I've posted around here before about certain issues. Just a quick update, I finally was able to get them (my foxes) out of the cages. It made me very angry that they had to be in them for all summer but the house owners wouldn't let me have them out regardless. Anyways, now I'm trying to potty train them to use the litter but it doesn't seem to be sticking to them. Any advice on how I can get them to take to the litter? I'm sure because they were in the cages for so long that it has brought some problems. They sometimes use it and sometimes don't. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Potty Training Foxes

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:21 pm

Well if you clicker train then then you can click and give a treat every-time they go in the box. Or at least praise and give a treat when they go but clicking once clicker trained is usually more effective because it's instant but you'll need the clicker at the ready at all times.

They will still mark things but most poo should wind up in the box with training.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:42 pm

Glad they can get out and about now, Drake. Bet they are zipping around and going crazy, heehee.

I second the clicker training. I've been doing clicker training for a while on my animals, and it works great. If you get one, you can wear it around your wrist like a bracelet while you're at home.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
teamracing

Postby teamracing » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:18 pm

What is clicker training? What are you using
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:54 pm

You can look on amazon or in pet stores to buy a clicker or search and make one. You can also use things other than a click.

The basic idea is operant conditioning, Pavlov's dog. You click as you feed them treats then start clicking just before you give them treats. Once they get excited to hear the click(or other noise) in anticipation of a treat then you can use the click for training. It works better than just using your voice or treats because it's more instant.

So for potty training you click any time they squat to pee or poo in the right spot. The click rewards them and then you give them the treat to reinforce the click. Just using your voice and treats doesn't work as well because your voice happens a lot and doesn't mean treats. Click=treats they get rewarded the moment they do something right instead of after. It's less confusing and it works much better.

Beaker is scared of the click, lol, but that's not a usual issue. You can use other sounds but short and quick is best whatever it is. I'm using a squeaker somewhat similarly for him but right now just as a signal to calm and happy when something scares him, works like a charm.

You can google for better instructions or find books on the subject.

Oh also helps to use a special treat they go nuts for and then only use it for click training.

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”