PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

question about a cat that died?

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

question about a cat that died?

Postby pat » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:42 am

a friend of mine had a 1 year old cat, that was doing fine. they put "petarmor" spot-on on the cat.
about 24hours later, the cat was dead. there was some type of thick fluid that came out of it rear.
shortly before that, he was beginning to get lethargic the next day.

any thoughts on this? I am thinking it was the petarmor?
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Juska

Re: question about a cat that died?

Postby Juska » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:23 pm

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B0050LVXQO

66% 1-star reviews.

Lawsuits have been filed against not only the company that makes PetArmor but other topical flea and tick treatments as well. However, there have been many cases of misdoses by the owners. Not giving the proper dose can result in ineffectiveness at least, and death at worst.

It's hard to tell without an autopsy what caused it.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:25 pm

Juska wrote:https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B0050LVXQO

66% 1-star reviews.

Lawsuits have been filed against not only the company that makes PetArmor but other topical flea and tick treatments as well. However, there have been many cases of misdoses by the owners. Not giving the proper dose can result in ineffectiveness at least, and death at worst.

It's hard to tell without an autopsy what caused it.

I have looked at some of the ratings, and seems there were quite a bit of negativity. I really couldn't think of anything else that would have killed his cat. just kind of weird the cat died a little more than 24 hours after the treatment.

I would think he gave the cat the proper dosage. I will call him tomorrow and ask him anyway.
I have a hard time trusting most of the spot-ons. just don't know what the heck to use. the flea and tick pill seemed to work fine on my one dog.
just so darn paranoid about any of that stuff.

the vet wanted 200.00 for an autopsy :roll: so, he decided not to go that route.

thank you for your info. I will pass that along to him.

Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:04 am

I don't use topicals on any of my pets anymore.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:47 am

Juska,

I haven't had them for awhile. what do you use?

I read that coconut oil kills fleas and prevents them. but, needs to be applied at least once a week. :shrug:

guess the 3 month pill for dogs are safer? what about cats?

Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:55 am

I don't give any flea treatment to Namira because she rarely goes outside (and if she does it's usually up on the deck). And since the dogs are both on Nexgard, there are little to no fleas in the house anymore. My mom "picks" Conte for fleas every day and she will only find between 1-5 usually. Namira sometimes gets one right in the center of her forehead where she can't reach and that's about it.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:00 pm

I hate to speak too soon, but, I was actually pretty lucky with flea issues.
I don't have carpet, so maybe that helps :shrug:

I just got some guineas last night. they are good at eating ticks and I think fleas. so maybe they will help if any are around. (which I am sure they probably are)

from what I understand, even though cats don't go outside, they still can get fleas. they can jump on a persons pants and we don't know it.

long time ago, I lived in an apartment. gary brought over his cat and kittens (which stayed inside all the time), they got fleas so bad, the whole apartment was flea infested. I tried the flea bombs, everything I can think of, but, could not get rid of them. so I moved. the landlord was really pissed, he sued me over 300.00 for clean up. guess, I can't blame him.

GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:20 pm

I'm sorry to hear about the cat. It could very well be the medication or a reaction to the medication. However, there are some cat diseases that can cause rapid death in a cat. Was there any other symptoms at all? Lethargy, diarrhea, vomiting? Volunteering at a shelter, I know how quickly a cat can suddenly become sick and die the next day.
Juska

Postby Juska » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:42 pm

I'd like to have guineas some day. When I have that farm and guardian breed dogs and everything else I want...

The cat could've gotten into something and ate/drank something poisonous. A friend of mine's cat died very shortly after drinking glass cleaner. Lots of things can kill them very easily :(
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:11 pm

pat wrote:I read that coconut oil kills fleas and prevents them. but, needs to be applied at least once a week.

Would simply giving your animal a bath once or twice a week just solve the problem all together?
Juska

Postby Juska » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:13 pm

Bathing a cat or dog once a week (and good luck bathing a cat) would dry their skin out and do more harm than good.
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:33 pm

There are a variety of products that can be used for fleas (and all external parasites) and different medications used for internal parasites (Tape-worms can be hard to get rid of). You can also regularly flea-comb, treat the house, sweep the carpet often, mow the grass often, ect. It works best if you combine some of these methods, asking your vet what would best work in your area and for the animal you work with. It really depends on the individual animal, the species, and the type of parasites involved.

Bathing a cat or dog too often does strip them of natural oils. Keeping your dogs coat short can help avoid flea problems though, since they don't have anywhere to hide.
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:21 am

Juska wrote:Bathing a cat or dog once a week (and good luck bathing a cat) would dry their skin out and do more harm than good.

Vets recommend bathing once a week. If you fear drying out the skin and causing harm then use a soap that doesn't. Better yet, make your own shampoo, there are plenty recipes out there.

However, the most simple recipe is this: 1 part milk (coconut is the most common, whole cow's milk can be used) 1 part liquid castile soap, and 1 teaspoon olive oil (this is optional, helps keep the skin from drying out). And of course, the recipe can be adjusted.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:57 am

Will depend some on the type of dog and coat they have but I've bathed my chihuahua mixes at most 2 per year most of the time around shedding time and nothing horrible ever happened to them, not even stinking. Beaker being single coat and small I only need to just wipe him off and only if he rolled in something. He may never have a real bath. I don't know what vets you talked to but I think they generally just know the max number. There is no real definitive minimum number.

I had one cat I had to bath semi regular as she didn't groom herself but others I had I rarely if ever bathed, again nothing bad ever came of it. (Jake would shred me if I ever tried it, so something bad could come from doing it, lol).

What health conditions did these vets claim would be caused by bathing less than once a week?

PS I believe Juska worked as a groomer for quite awhile.
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:04 am

TamanduaGirl wrote:What health conditions did these vets claim would be caused by bathing less than once a week?

They were NOT suggesting health conditions were attached to not bathing your animals. The vet medical blogs just suggested to bath your pets no more than once a week, but aim for once a month for various reasons. One big reason is to...you know, to clean them, another is to check them over for anything unusual. Obviously, if you have an indoor pet, they won't need a bath as often.

Juska worry was drying out the skin, so I gave her a solution. Never use commercial hygiene products on yourself or your pet, the stuff damages skin and hair; the stuff is cheap for a reason.

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”