PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Tips for Getting Health and Behavior Help On Forums

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

minervasden

Tips for Getting Health and Behavior Help On Forums

Postby minervasden » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:44 pm

It is natural when we are having a possible health or behavior issue with our pets, to want the opinions of others. Sometimes we want to be reassured a behavior is normal or check if the veterinarian is needed so we aren’t embarrassed or financially burdened by making an unnecessary appointment. Sometimes, a vet visit just isn’t possible for any number of reasons. Read on for tips on using a forum for health and behavior needs so you receive the help you need in a timely manner.

During an emergency is not the time to post. If your pet is unconscious, loosing large amounts of blood from anywhere, has bones protruding from the flesh, cluster seizures, nonstop vomiting or other major symptoms get medical assistance first. Make your post after the pet is stable.

Allow members time to respond. There are jobs, families, pets and life in general that must be attended to. Members will reply as they are able. Please don't freak out and double post or post in multiple sections because it has been 20 minutes or even a day and no one has responded. It would be great if everyone could respond immediately but it just is not realistic.

Skim through related forums and use the search feature. If you fox is behaving oddly take a look through the fox forums. Then use the search feature using keywords such as biting, aggression , fur pulling or whatever is relevant to your needs. You may find the information you need is already here.

Post in the proper place. Here on Sybil’s there is a general health and behavior forum and species specific ones. You are welcome to post in either but posting to your species forum may get more replies from those experienced with the species. More broad and general topics will do just fine in the health and behavior forum.

Start a new topic. Don’t start posting about your pet’s issue in an unrelated thread. This will just make it more difficult for members to find and reply to your message as it will be assumed your post is in reference to the topic already being discussed.

Write a clear, precise title in the subject line. It doesn’t need be fancy or technical but it should convey that you need advise and a general idea of the nature of the issue. “Help-my adult dog won’t eat” is ok “URGENT I need help NOW!” is not. The main body of your post is for fleshing out the details.

Give as much relevant detail as you can. A life story isn’t required but some information is. Include information such as results from any diagnostics already performed, species, age or life stage (adult, senior, etc.), gender and if intact or altered, diet, duration of symptoms, possibly relevant recent events, vaccine status. To little information wastes time as people will need to ask questions and you will need to reply. “My dog won’t eat and isn’t pooping. What’s wrong?” Doesn’t allow members to start posting help right away. Some may offer vague possibilities and some of those may be ruled out with just a little more information.
A better post would be as follows:
"Hi, I have a six year old vaccinated, spayed female dog named Butters who hasn’t ate for about 4 days. She also hasn’t pooped for a couple days. She still drinks water, pees and seems ok overall. What might be wrong with her and what should I do?"
In this case the owner gave us all the info he/she knew about the situation. There are still some questions such as anything the dog may have ingested, but members can start posting possibilities and suggestions.
In this case our imaginary dog Butters had an abscessed broken tooth causing pain when she ate. Nothing in = nothing out. But many other conditions could cause these signs so details are relevant.

Post status updates for your pet. Sometimes the advise offered will change as symptoms get better or worse, diagnostics are performed or a diagnosis is reached. Also, we care about your pets and look forward to updates sharing in your joys and sorrows.

Disclaimer: Remember that Sybil’s or any other forum is a source of information but not a substitute for veterinary care.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tips for Getting Health and Behavior Help On Forums

Postby pat » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:50 pm

M,

I think that is great idea, and you have it worded very nicely. now the question is, where is the best place put it?
thank you for the great idea
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:01 pm

pat wrote:M,

I think that is great idea, and you have it worded very nicely. now the question is, where is the best place put it?

Thank you, Pat. Hope it can help our members and their critters.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:46 am

minervasden wrote:
pat wrote:M,

Thank you, Pat. Hope it can help our members and their critters.

I believe it will be a great help. the more info we have, the better. thank you for great idea.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:32 pm

Great post!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”