HAPPY AND SAFE HOLIDAYS TO ALL

PLEASE READ THIS REGARDING TOXIC DOG FOOd viewtopic.php?f=67&t=1463

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041 (with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.) FREE TO USE.
(PLEASE USE THE LINK ABOVE, YOU WILL GET $25.00 TO START)

Grainger (cat) is in the hospital with a Urinary Obstruction

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Kagney

Re: Grainger (cat) is in the hospital with a Urinary Obstruction

Postby Kagney » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:07 pm

Vulpini,

Thank you so so much for your reply. I've been so worried about the little guy, and most of what you hear about the long term outcome for UTO cats is not promising. So glad to hear everything worked out well for your kitties!

I'm pretty sure the bob tail is genetic. He came from a "mutt" litter that we found advertised on CL. The litter was half bob, half normal tail, and most of his litter mates were solid white. My parents have a 16yr old solid white rescue bob that's deaf (always has been), and I've heard that deafness is pretty common in solid white animals. If you add in the additional mutations causing the bob tail, does that make them even more prone to health problems? Its probably just me grasping at straws, but I've wondered if there may be a greater chance of genetic-influenced problems for him because he came from a mostly solid white litter of bobs. :shrug:

Its really interesting (and a little scary) to hear just how negatively they can be affected by stress. My vet mentioned that too, but I can't think of a single thing that might be troubling him, nothing has changed around our house.

We haven't gotten him a water fountain yet, but I will be picking one up today. I've been meaning to do it, but life's been a little crazy/busy and I just hadn't gotten to it yet. I have heard that they make a tremendous difference in how much water they consume. I can certainly see it helping with Grainger, one of his favorite pastimes is sitting in a freshly drained bathtub and staring at the drain. Its like hes trying to see into the future or something. :roll: Cats are so weird.
vulpini

Postby vulpini » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:31 pm

:lol: :lol: He sounds like my two! They stare at the running water faucet like they want to drink it, except mine are terrified if you even take them near a sink when they're being held :roll:

No problem! Fortunately I've never had one with a UTO, but I was very worried when Ella (female) got two...I think they were urinary tract infections, in the span of just a few months. I thought I would be dealing with a recurring thing but fortunately it's been quite a few months with no incidents.

That's a very interesting theory about the mutations causing health issues. I know that with horses, if you breed two horses with the frame overo gene together you have a high chance of a "lethal white foal." They're completely white, deaf, and born without a section of their intestines. But, I'm pretty positive that if you breed two frame overos together and you happen to not get a lethal white, the offspring doesn't have any related health problems. It might be the same for cats :shrug: The totally white ones get all the health problems, but their litter mates don't experience any side effects? Or if they do, maybe they're just not as severe? I'm not very knowledgeable about genetics so I'll let someone else answer that :lol: It's definitely an interesting theory that does have a lot of merit, considering the downsides of mutations. I wonder if white corgis and their littermates have the same problem--considering the mutation of the tail along with the white gene?

As far as the stress goes, I had no idea that it could set UTIs off until my vet told me. Is he an indoor cat/do you live in a neighborhood with cats? Maybe he sees them outside and is stressed about them encroaching on his territory? :shrug: It could be unrelated to stress and just be one of those health things that are, as my vets said, "idiopathic" i.e. the cause isn't known. I'm not sure anyone really knows what sets these off in some cats and not in others, but I have noticed that a reduction in stress correlated with no more urinary problems.

I know when my cats were having problems they would try to pee as close to the wall of the litterbox as possible, which made it really difficult to clean up. If he's doing that, you could always try the 'litterbox' we use now. I first saw it at someone's house and loved the idea, because it gives the cats room to dig and they don't have to duck or feel trapped. The one they have is a big Rubbermaid container that is filled about 8 or so inches with litter. They seem to like it a lot because Ella loves, for whatever weird reason, to scratch up the sides of the litterbox (you can hear her doing it. It's so odd) when she's in there, and she can do that with the high walls this allows.
Kagney

Postby Kagney » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:13 am

We had to let him go this morning. We're both completely heartbroken.
He had a steady decline over the weekend, and we both kind of knew by Saturday night. With the help of the tramadol every 12 hours, he was sort of in and out over the weekend, having some spans of feeling almost like himself, so we made sure he had the best possible few days. He even managed to come along for one last short walk to the woods with us and his sisters yesterday. (It was always one of his favorite things) He also had tuna all weekend and we spent as much time as possible making sure he knew he was loved.
I haven't cried this much in a really long time, he was such a wonderful little man and so deeply loved.

RIP Grainger, you will always be a huge part of our family, and we will always love you.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:14 am

Kagney,

:cry: I am so very sorry to hear that. I know how you feel, it is so darn hard to accept.

R.I.P Grainger you were deeply loved and will be missed.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:20 am

I'm so sorry... But I think you did the right thing, especially with the way he was deteriorating... Rest in peace, Grainger.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Kagney

Postby Kagney » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:47 pm

Thank you both very much for the kind words.
Ana

Postby Ana » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:20 pm

You did everything you could, and so did he. I am so sorry for your loss. He knew he was loved.
vulpini

Postby vulpini » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:53 pm

I am so, so sorry Kagney. I know you guys did everything possible for him and gave him a fantastic home. Rest in peace, Grainger <3
Kagney

Postby Kagney » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:32 am

Thank you all.
Last night was rough, but but I guess the first night without them always is.
I'm a little worried about Giz. She's taking it very hard. She's been exceptionally rude and snappy to my SO. She's also pacing, and when she finally does settle, its somewhere unusual, and she has a strange look in her eyes. I tried holding her and trying to comfort her,(nightly lap time is her usual thing) but she was too upset last night. They were closely bonded. It will take her some time, but I have faith that she'll adjust. I guess we're all still greiving for now. icon-sad

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”