Dog Food Recalls: viewforum.php?f=67

Snake Nose Bumping

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Donnah cornsnake

Snake Nose Bumping

Postby Donnah cornsnake » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:24 pm

My corn snake is constantly nose bumping into the glass of his tank and has not eaten for 25 days how can I stop this??????? please let me know! :shrug:
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Snake Nose Bumping

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:55 pm

Sometimes they need something up so they don't see out to stop them bumping into the glass. The not eating could be a different problem from just the glass though. Temperature and lighting are big ones to look at. Possibly impcation as well. Try a good soak to see if he poops.
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:59 pm

Soooo, today was the day that we put our Corn Snakes in together. The reason we got a second snake? Our male, Jack, would try to escape constantly and wouldn't eat for weeks during the spring. We got him a girl and it really helps. They are together for like a week and than Jill goes back to her cage and Jack usually starts eating in a few weeks.
If you just have one corn snake than you may just have to wait it out. Jack would be out all the time, rubbing his nose against the glass and climbing up to the top to try to push out. In a few weeks he would start to settle down again and start eating.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:10 pm

Hello, Donnah. There are many reasons why your snake may not be eating. Do you know the temperature of the hotspot, the ambient temperature, and the humidity of the enclosure? If those are off, a snake will not feel comfortable enough to eat. I'm assuming, they're fine, but just checking. Corn snakes are highly adaptable however since they're found throughout the US. But that would be the first issue I'd look at for not eating.

Second, how long have you had the snake for? Or have you made any significant changes to its environment or enclosure? Reptiles can take a long time to adapt to change and will not eat until they feel comfortable.

Third, what have you offered meal-wise and how often? Maybe offer a more enticing meal.

Last, don't worry! 25 days isn't bad. Sometimes during certain months of the year snakes will go off-feed due to the light cycle or temperature fluctuations. As long as your snake is not losing weight, you don't need to worry. Just keep offering food regularly and make sure husbandry is up to snuff, and I'm sure your snakey baby will be eating in no time.

As for the nose rubbing, TamanduaGirl's suggestion is great. You can take cardboard and put it up around the sides of the enclosure so the snake sees a barrier in its way, and then it will be less likely to nose rub. If it's mating season like GitaBooks suggests, males will sometimes start bumping around a lot more, searching for females and ways out of the cage to find said females. This is common in male reticulated pythons, so sometimes putting them in with a girl is advisable. If there happen to be eggs later, you can pitch them before babies develop. Please do not cohab your snakes though unless it is for breeding/mating purposes.

Hope all goes well. Welcome to the forum, by the way.
I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”