PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Daryl is dying

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Daryl is dying

Postby pat » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:48 pm

I am pretty sure he is dying, he is not eating, drinking water. he is very lethargic icon-sad
he was out in his enclosure when I noticed him slowing down, not eating much and sleeping a lot. I knew something was wrong.

I opened the doggie door for him to come in his room, he went right in a carrier I have there. I have been trying to get him to drink water
and even an egg. but, he won't :cry:

I have no idea what is wrong. I should take him to the vet. but, his condition and age is just a matter of time. :cry:

I did see some blood in the enclosure the other day, so not sure if that was him. don't know if he threw up blood, I suspect he did.
but, that is the only time I seen it.

I don't know what else I can do for him. any ideas and thoughts?
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Daryl is dying

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:02 pm

I would take him to the vet. It could be something treatable like pancreatitis. At the very least the vet could make him more comfortable.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:24 pm

Sorry Darryl isn't feeling well. I agree about the vet visit.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Ana

Postby Ana » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:31 pm

This cannot be happening, it's unbelievable. I could not possibly be sorrier for your losses.

Is Doctor Harvey the only one in the clinic who will see him?? We need a new vet office, the
weather has kept me from meeting the few options. I'm so sorry. :(
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:14 pm

I really don't think there is anything that will treat Daryl. He is pushing 13 years old. which is a little better than average for a fox's life span.
He is pretty bad, and I really doubt the vet can do anything except put him down. Not sure if I can handle that right now. Maybe I am being selfish.

geez, in the meantime I am still dealing with my sisters death, family drama and burial issues.
then tomorrow, I have a couple people over for NYE.

however, I will see if I can get a hold of Dr. Harvey tomorrow morning. I hate to stress Daryl, but, at this point, he probably would not care.
he is not eating or drinking. icon-sad

Too damn much for me at one time :cry:

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:41 pm

I'm so sorry. I guess it's a wee bit better he had a good length life but a terrible time for it to happen for you.

When I was younger a wild rabbit had befriended me and my cat, odd I know. Used to visit us regularly and I'd give it snacks. It came to the yard sick once and obviously to me dying. My father offered to take her to the vet if I promised to keep her for the rest of her life and I said no. I knew she was dying and didn't want her to die terrified in a vet's office, since she was wild. I felt that would be worse than whatever she was going through. I just stayed in the yard with her most of the night till she died instead.

So I guess it's all a matter of perspective. As a pet though if he seems to be suffering it's better to let him go if that really is the only option than to wait to spare your own suffering.

I know where you are coming from though, somewhat, these choices are very hard. I do sometimes wonder if we did more tests or tried some steroids or something if Hyzzie might not have made it longer but really that's just me being greedy. I knew with her age and as bad as she was it was kinder to let her go.

I waited too long to put some past pets down and regretted it. It certainly was hard but I do feel a bit better with Hyzzie as I knew I didn't wait too long and that she was suffering so had no guilt for a change. Just really miss her. I had the vet come out to the car to sedate her first so she didn't have to get stressed.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:51 pm

Could you get a housecall? If it is time to let him go a home injection would be less stressful for Darryl and possibly by extension you. Again, I am sorry.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:10 pm

thank you everyone. I really don't think Daryl is suffering to the point is in severe pain. he seems to more out of it, than anything else.
I just checked on him a few minutes ago, thought he was dead, but, he is shallow breathing. my guess, by morning he will be with his buddy Larry :cry:

thank you mary for sharing your story.

I will let everyone know by morning. I doubt he will be alive by then :cry: :cry:

George (my oldest raccoon) laid near the carrier most of the night with Daryl. He liked Daryl.
I noticed George moved to the top bunk, so he must know Daryl is at the end :cry: :cry:
Gary thought he was already dead, but, I noticed very shallow breathing :cry:

no sense in taking him to the vets, doubt he will be alive by the time I get an appointment.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:25 pm

Aw yeah if he's that far along I'm sure he'll be gone soon. Really sucky timing but you did do a good job getting him to this age.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:22 pm

I'm so sorry, Pat... Please keep us updated...
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:21 am

So sorry for your loss Pat... I'm sure Daryl is in a better place now. :cry:
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Ana

Postby Ana » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:44 am

I'm so sorry. :( It just keeps coming for you, it's a nightmare.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:03 am

update: Daryl is still alive. I honestly didn't think he would make it through the night.
He actually moved to another carrier sometime last night.

I will try and see if I can get an appointment with the vet. however, if he is not there, I don't know what else I can do.
I think he drank a little water, but still not eating.

I know some might not want to hear this, but, I still fear raw chicken bones. However, I have been giving the foxes raw thigh bones in the last few days. not saying that is the problem, but, I won't rule that out. don't know if part of the bone could have caused some type of blockage :shrug:
it is so hard not knowing what is wrong. maybe he has cancer? I don't know what type of illnesses foxes get. Daryl was never sick for his 12+ years of life. but, again, at his age, it could be anything.

awhile ago, I use to give my beagle raw chicken thighs when I was making the food for the foxes. she was OK for a while, then one day,
she started choking pretty bad. I did the maneuver (whatever it is called) and it helped her. no more chicken bones for my dogs.
I know in the wild, foxes and other animals will eat anything they can find. but, what we don't know how many animals got sick and died from it :shrug:

does anyone know symptoms of splintering raw bones?

anyway, not sure what to do if my vet is not in today. I don't want Daryl to suffer, but, don't know what is wrong with him.

I got a couple pictures of Daryl a few minutes ago, doubt anyone can tell the problem, but, thought I would let everyone see what he looks like.
the picture don't show around his nose, looks like there is a little blood, can't tell.

thank you again everyone, really appreciate your support. will give updates when I can.
Attachments
d0303.JPG
d0302.JPG
d0300.JPG

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:24 am

I called the vet, and dr harvey is not in today. they are going to put a call in to him, and hopefully he will call me back.

there is another vet there that don't know anything about foxes, however, this vet agreed to put him down.
I don't want to make a rash decision on this. not sure what to do at this point.
however, Dr Harvey will be in the office on monday. if Daryl is still alive on Monday, I will take him.

I just wish I knew something else I can do for him. I am so sad. This is just too much on me right now.
gary said he would shoot Daryl, but, he don't want to do it,but will if I ask him.

Daryl is my favorite fox, he was always pretty good.
Geez, it is like a chain reaction. my favorite white cat got hit by a car, my sister died Dec 20 and now Daryl.

I am so depressed over all this, I cry everyday. I am having such a hard time dealing with all this.

Thank you again everyone for your support, It really means a lot to me.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:41 pm

Will the vet not see him or just not have experience. If he would be willing to see him then I'd go to him. Tell him he can treat him like he would a dog. Anyone can feel for an obstruction and feel around for pain reactions, take an x-ray if needed since he's already not moving. You could print out fox blood values and bring them with you to give him so he can test and compare.

If it's an obstruction or perforation he is likely already too far along to save but without someone looking you can't know if that's it. Early signs often include lots of stretching, being restless and trying to poop but can't or if higher up can be vomiting instead. But I've seen my dogs do the same for a kidney infection and bad pancreatitis before too.

Pancreatitis is something that could be remedied and if bad can make them lay around like Pua did. It can even cause bloody vomit or out the other end as well. A blood test would help tell. Supportive therapy like fluids, anti-inflamatories and b vitamins can help them get through. Of course if a perforation anti-inflamatories could make any bleeding worse so it really helps to know.

Maybe if you are going to wait the one vet could give you fluids to give and a b12 shot. That was enough to see Pua through the weekend when she had her first illness long ago where she nearly died. She was limp and nearly lifeless and it perked her up a bit and she made it through to see the vet. Fluids and b12 shots helped keep Hyzzie feeling better and around a bit longer too in her final days.

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”