PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Daryl is dying

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Juska

Re: Daryl is dying

Postby Juska » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:20 pm

I agree with giving fluids. The inexperienced vet can give fluids even if he's never treated a fox. You could ask if he could come and give him an IV bag and let you watch him.

My boyfriend's sister's cat is very old (I think she's about 18) and one day she just crashed. She took the cat to the vet and came back with an IV in the cat's leg. She turned right around in about a day and she's been back to her very old self since then. This was a few months ago. I thought she wouldn't come back with the cat after that vet visit, that she would die. But the fluids brought her right back.

On the other hand, when my first dog Max died, he started to slow down, stopped eating/drinking, couldn't get out the dog door. He started losing weight and after about a week my parents decided he was ready to go to the rainbow bridge. He was very obviously trying to hide somewhere so he could pass away, and didn't have any more will to eat or drink. Even after a while he stopped taking food by hand.

Maybe try giving him some cooked chicken or something else he doesn't usually get (but likes a lot)? Something that smells really pungent that could entice him to eat? Maybe canned cat or dog food, peanut butter, Nutrical for puppies; put some on your finger and rub it on his gums. I've gotten dogs to eat when they were sick that way.

I will light a candle for Daryl.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:41 pm

Yeah with Hyzzie she had the IV in her leg and I would attach the bag for fluids then remove and cap it off after. At first she spent all day hooked up though so I toddled around after her like her IV pole so she didn't have to be locked up.

If he wont see him though he could still give you fluids to take home and give sub-q which is easy but the fluids get into them more slowly so IV is better but sub-q can still really help.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:29 pm

appreciate all the info.

I do have an IV bag. but, not sure if Daryl will accept it. since he is in a carrier, not sure how I would hook it up.

I did mix some water with part of a melexacam. I used a syringe and squirted it in his mouth.
when I put it in his mouth, he bit down on syringe. not very hard though. but, he did get some in him.

the other vet I mentioned closes at noon on saturdays. he is good for over charging.

because of his age, I doubt there is much I can do for him. :cry:
to be honest, I am surprised he is still hanging on. he is in pretty bad condition. :cry:
I just wish I knew what is wrong with him.

Thank you again for your support..
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:12 pm

Here's a very detailed how to on giving fluids. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtSzMuDgx78 The temperature thing can be skipped.

You could just run the line down into the crate with him. One thing she doesn't say in the video is each number on the bag is 100ml
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:54 pm

mary,

thank you for info. I looked at the bag this morning. everything is there but the needle.
I am not sure if the injectable needle would work. appreciate the video, but, it looked a little complex for me.
(guess my stress level is not helping me think straight either )

to be honest, I doubt anything will help at this point. I just don't want to see him suffer.
I will keep looking for a needle and see if I can get something to fit.
I gave him more melexacam with water. also squirted water in his mouth.

George is still near him, guess he knows something :cry:

his condition now is very grave :cry: I don't think anything is going to save him, especially at his age.
I just hate seeing animals this sick.

If he makes it through the night, I will take him to the vet monday at 10:00 am. I am sure the vet will put him to sleep.
I am just so sad over this. really bad timing for me for this to happen. :cry:

One thing that did cross my mind, I hope he don't have something that is contagious.

thank you again for your support.

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:51 pm

I'm so sorry, Pat... :( I don't know why this is happening to you after so much else has happened. But it WILL make you stronger... I'm so sorry about Daryl. He sounded like such a sweet fox... I will keep him and you in my thoughts.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:54 pm

I am so, so sorry to hear about this. We just lost our sweet, 11 year-old Goldendoodle, Rax. He had the exact same symptoms, he got really tired and had trouble breathing. We took him to the vet and they gave him fluids and some medication but it didn't help. A few hours later he passed away. We had moved him in front of the fire-place and all gave him snuggles. He was happy in the end, you could tell because he got calm and laid down instead of sitting up and panting.

Miracles can always happen, but if worse does come to worse, remember that you gave him a wonderful life. Rax had so many wonderful days and up until the end was as playful as a puppy.

I'm praying for you and your family.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:18 am

Thank you Ash for your support.

GitaBooks,
did you find out what was wrong with Rax? I know when animals get older, anything can cause their death :cry:
I am sorry you had to endure the pain of losing Rax. I am sure he had a good life too. we get so darn attached to our animals.

I just checked on Daryl yet again, now he is breathing very heavy, but really out of it and limp.
George(my raccoon) has been sitting at the top of the steps on the bunk beds I have. He has been in that same spot
for a few days. He is eating fine. He looks OK, but, just would not come down that I know of. usually, he comes down or wants out
or sleeps in his cylinder, but, he has not moved from that spot for the a few days. I guess maybe he is bummed over Daryl :shrug:

thank you for your support.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:14 am

Daryl died at 7:30 am today :cry: he is now pain free, and I will miss him very much.

This is really weird, as I mentioned about George(my oldest raccoon) staying near Daryl.
I was checking on Daryl and George about every 5 minutes. when I went back in the last time,
george was coming down the steps, I looked at Daryl again and seen he was dead.
sounds like George knew without even seeing him.

George then wanted outside to his enclosure wonder if he went out to tell Darla and Donnie. :shrug:

I just called the vet and asked what the procedure is to find the cause of death. he said an autopsy, which will cost at least 200.00.
the vet agreed with me about Daryl's age.

as we know, a foxes average life span is 10-12 years, so I guess Daryl almost made it to 13.
Daryl is at peace now, and with his favorite buddy (Larry Lee)

Thank you everyone for your support and help. I appreciate it.

Ana

Postby Ana » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:32 am

I'm so sorry, he was such a pleasant guy, I know how much you loved him. If there's anything I can do to help, I'd love to. :(
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:21 am

thank you Ana. thank you for offering help. at this point, nothing we can do icon-sad

I was just out in the fox enclosure and checked on everyone along with some food.
I found geroge laying underneath the cubical that is out there. that is where Daryl was for almost a week before he come in his room.
I know George is upset and I feel bad for him. this will be the 4th buddy he lost icon-sad (larry lee, billy bob, larry jay and now daryl) :cry:

I don't know what to do for geroge. maybe I will let jerry and carrie go in the enclosure. I don't think darla and donnie will hurt them.
I will stay out there for awhile and see how everything goes. I think darla and donnie is also bummed out, they didn't come down from the tower to eat icon-sad

I just don't know what I can do for everyone. I am still grieving the loss of my sister and of course the family drama.

thank you again

Ana

Postby Ana » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:21 pm

The kids are the same age as Charb, they're ready and can handle themselves if you supervise. Let poor George see some new
people and try to distract himself from his grief. If you like I can bring some toys up, I've got an extra basket right now from all
the holiday replacements, and I'm coming up that way later this week to pick up some chain link fencing. I've wanted so much for
Charb to get a chance to visit his brother, and Jude LOVES coming out there to see everybody. *hugs* You hang in there, you've still
got so many who love and need you. <3
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:11 pm

Rest in peace Daryl.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:26 pm

I'm so sorry to hear that. He knew he was loved and cared for, and he had a wonderful life.

Rax was older too, and we don't have the money to know the true cause. He had eaten a bunch of eggs before he passed, which seemed to make him worse, but a friend of ours who is a vet said she doubted that was the the true cause of his sickness.

Our dogs are still in mourning for him. They react differently. Cedar gets really anxious, Kitty started trying to eat anything she could possibly find, and Epsilon actually seemed to get calmer, probably because he wasn't worried about having to protect Rax. I'm sure all your animals will go through their own mourning, but with each other and you they can all make it through.

Praying for you and your family!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:54 am

Ana wrote:The kids are the same age as Charb, they're ready and can handle themselves if you supervise. Let poor George see some new
people and try to distract himself from his grief. If you like I can bring some toys up, I've got an extra basket right now from all
the holiday replacements, and I'm coming up that way later this week to pick up some chain link fencing. I've wanted so much for
Charb to get a chance to visit his brother, and Jude LOVES coming out there to see everybody. *hugs* You hang in there, you've still
got so many who love and need you. <3

yes, sounds good to me. I doubt George will cheer up right now. He is still outside where Daryl use to nap.

Jerry , Carrie and me would be happy to see Jude and Charb. Of course I would be happy to see you and mike too.
it's been awhile.

I did a paw print of Daryl yesterday, I didn't do too good of job, I am not into crafts much. maybe you can help me finish it.
used plaster of paris (thats all I had) it needs sanded a bit, then painted. I never did finish benny's paw print icon-sad
I have the paint for it. Daryl is not buried yet icon-sad Gary is waiting to get a tractor, it should be ready in a week.
I was going to try and dig a hole by hand today. will put him near Larry if I can.

We become so darn attached to our animals, when we lose them, it is hard for us :cry:

thank you again for your support..

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”