PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

lump on anna my coonhound?

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Juska

Re: lump on anna my coonhound?

Postby Juska » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:15 pm

When it was Max's time to go, he didn't want to eat/drink anymore or go out. For a little while we were carrying him up and down the back stairs to go potty, but after a week or so of that, he didn't even want to get up. We tried to feed him by hand but he'd only eat a little.

When they don't have the will anymore, I think it's okay to let them go.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:25 pm

Thank you Ana. you made me feel better about my decision.

I can't let her suffer any longer. She is now having a hard time walking. I am so glad Harvey will come to the house to do the dirty deed.
I hope Gary digs her grave today, rather than let her body lay around for days, like he did with Daryl and Sammy (my cat)

I am going to call the vets office about getting a paw print. I did one on Daryl's myself when he died, but, never got around to sanding and painting it.
(I am not real good with stuff like that) I might call the vets office and see if they will finish it off for me.

If I do a paw print of Anna, can I use plaster of paris? that is what I used for Daryl's. I will call the vet's office and ask them if they will finish her's too..

Anna looks like she had an ear infection too :cry: I cleaned her ears pretty good, then put antibotic cream in her ears.
this is the worse I have ever seen her ears. do you think the cancer contributes to the ear infection? I guess cancer can affect many parts of the body.

I swear, sometimes I feel like I am being punished for some reason.

Again, thank you Ana for your support. really means a lot to me.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:34 pm

Juska wrote:When it was Max's time to go, he didn't want to eat/drink anymore or go out. For a little while we were carrying him up and down the back stairs to go potty, but after a week or so of that, he didn't even want to get up. We tried to feed him by hand but he'd only eat a little.

When they don't have the will anymore, I think it's okay to let them go.

thank you Juska, and thank you for letting me know your experience too. it is so hard to put their fate in our hands, but, harder to see them suffer too.

How old was Max when he died? Can't remember, but, what did Max die from?

I am so glad my vet is willing to come to the house to do this. I personally think it is better than bringing an animal to the vet to have them put down.
why stress them even more.

Juska

Postby Juska » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:09 pm

Max was just very old. He may have had other issues that we didn't know about, but when he was younger we treated anything that we found (broken tooth, ear infection, etc). Vet never suspected any conditions or diseases. So, I think his body was just too old to keep going on. We don't know his exact age, but we had him for about 14 years. And he was at least 2-3 before we got him.

Yes, that is very nice that your vet will come to you. My parents decided they didn't want him to starve or be in any pain, if he was, by just letting nature take its course. My parents took Max to our vet about 15 minutes from the house. They have a room that is furnished like a regular living room, where they put Max on a dog bed on the carpeted floor, and my dad held him while he passed.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:43 pm

When you know it's terminal and they are suffering then it's best to let them go instead of trying to keep them longer. I've waited too long before due to family pressure and it made their passing so much harder due to the guilt. With Hyzzie there was no guilt, sure it still hurts sometimes, not to be unfair to the other dogs but she was my special one, so yeah it hurts still, but the lack of guilt makes it so much better. Sometimes I think maybe we could have tried more and maybe bought her more time but that's really just me wishing she was still here.

Letting her go is the right thing to do. Sometimes I see some people on FB keeping them as they suffer because they want a "Natural Death" and that is so unfair to that poor critter.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:00 pm

Juska,
guess, no matter how well our pets are taken care of, we cannot control their destiny. :cry:

my anna is only 9, however her sister died at 8 years old. both had good care. Fannie before Anna and Brandy died at 5.. I think it was due from the breeder. (puppy mill) :cry:

I had 2 male coonhounds awhile ago, both lived to almost 13 years old. needless to say, they were from Ohio and a different breeder.

I never seen his dogs he had. he use meet me half way. he was from WV.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:10 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:When you know it's terminal and they are suffering then it's best to let them go instead of trying to keep them longer. I've waited too long before due to family pressure and it made their passing so much harder due to the guilt. With Hyzzie there was no guilt, sure it still hurts sometimes, not to be unfair to the other dogs but she was my special one, so yeah it hurts still, but the lack of guilt makes it so much better. Sometimes I think maybe we could have tried more and maybe bought her more time but that's really just me wishing she was still here.

Letting her go is the right thing to do. Sometimes I see some people on FB keeping them as they suffer because they want a "Natural Death" and that is so unfair to that poor critter.

Mary, I agree. poor girl has not eaten for such a long time. she walks around, mostly follows me where I go. gary thinks I shouldn't have her put down yet :roll: , so he is one of those let her live her life out (basically, like you said "suffer". vet only gave her 2 months to live. that was a month ago.
however, I can't see her suffering either.

I know what you mean about the guilt. however, we just have to make the horrible decision to do what is best for our animals.
I know what you mean about having a dog or animal that is "special" it makes it even harder when we lose them. :cry:

we know we can only do such much for them, but, we also know when it is time to let go for the sake of the dog.
I am sure you did every thing possible for your dogs. more so, than most people would.

the idiots on FB, are just that "IDIOTS". to me, that is cruel to let them suffer.

tomorrow is the day, so, depending on how I feel, I will let you know how everything went.

thank you much for your support.

Ana

Postby Ana » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:47 am

The vet told me Stasi's cancer was contributing to her chronic ear infections. Since the surgery
the ears are still infecting, but it's much less severe. They've got a new drug for her to start, it's a once a month shot that might resolve the ear situation. If there's a sudden ear thing, it's probably from being immunocompromised. :(
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:35 am

Ana,

I am glad Stasi's cancer can be controlled, at least for now. she had cancer for quite a while? I remember awhile back you told me about it.

as you know there are different types of cancer. Anna has lymphoma cancer. she has a large lump on her neck. harvey said it spread.
from what I read, it could be hereditary, which I can believe, based on the breeder's past dogs I had from him.
I just wish usda would clamp down on these idiots.

anna has not eaten in weeks. it just breaks my heart to see her like this.
anna recently had an ear infection (this was after the cancer) I treated that.

honesty, I just want to get this over with. harvey will be here around 1:00 PM

she is walking, but, slow. she stayed with me last night, but this morning she went out on the front porch, and that is where she still is.

I should try and get her to go out back, it will be easier to get her buried. gary can bring her to the grave using his tractor.
of course, he didn't dig a hole yet :roll:

I called the vet's office yesterday, I really want to get a paw print of anna. they might send along clay for it. they do such a wonderful job with the paw prints. I can see if I can talk gary into go to michaels to get some clay in case harvey don't bring it.

Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:41 am

pat wrote:I really want to get a paw print of anna. they might send along clay for it. they do such a wonderful job with the paw prints. I can see if I can talk gary into go to michaels to get some clay in case harvey don't bring it.

Pat, here's a link to how you can make your own plaster at home: https://www.reference.com/home-garden/o ... ee6372cb5#

To make plaster, approximately 1 1/2 cups of boiling water are salted and mixed with 4 cups of flour. The mixture is set aside until it is cool enough to handle, yet still warm to the touch.

Then you can press her footprint into it. Then you'll at least have that if you can't get clay.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:53 pm

Thank you Juska for that link. I will save it. however, I am not good at all that.
I did do one of Benny's and Daryl's paws. but, never got around to finishing it.
the vets office said they will finish Benny's and Daryl's for me.

The vets office does a nice job with paw prints. they told me, if I can come up and get the clay
do the print, then bring it back for them to finish it. (not sure if I need to trim it after wards.
I will call them if I have problems. Gary just left to pick up the clay. there is no charge for it.

I really am not feeling all that great right now, so I really don't want to be bothered with plaster of paris.

vet just left about 10 minutes ago. right now, Anna is still in the living room, of course deceased.
I put a blanket over her for now. then later, gary will dig a hole for her.

it is so hard to watch, but, I wanted to be with anna. She was in bad condition.
so, now, she is pain free.

Ana

Postby Ana » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:09 pm

I'm so sorry. I want to strangle Gary, having the body there is goddamn traumatizing, and needs to be handled immediately. Mike is home, we could come right now if you like? Just give a call and we'll be there in an hour. *hugs* I'm so damn sorry.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:38 pm

Ana,

gary has a tractor. he claims he is going to do it when he gets home. I am a little bit at time working on the clay.
I told him, he should have dug the hole before he left, he could have stayed at the shop for as long as needed.
he is on his motorcycle, so chances are good, he will be coming home wet.

I put a blanket over her. however, she is in the living room and I have to walk around her to get to the kitchen. :roll:
I need to get her paw print before she is buried.

thank you anyway for the offer.

Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:47 pm

I'm sorry Pat, this shouldn't be how things are for such a great person like yourself, and your beloved animals.

But, Anna is at peace now, and she left knowing you were there to watch over her.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:16 pm

Juska,

thank you. yes, she is now pain free. I told her she was going to be seeing Brandy soon. (my coonhound that died a few years ago from cancer)
I don't understand what these breeders do. apparently, not take very good care of the parents and babies.

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”