please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Vet that will spay my female raccoon

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: hecate, minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Krunch777

Vet that will spay my female raccoon

Postby Krunch777 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:13 am

One of my friends neighbors killed a mother raccoon but could only get to one of the babies that was in her attic. They didn't know that she was a female or had babies but she had 3. They asked me if I could raise her and I said yes because I have raised raccoons before. The problem is that I am so in love with this little girl and she's all by herself so I want to keep her. It is illegal here to even try to rehab a coon. The local DNR told me to just let her die on her own. I could never do that as she is precious. I don't even know where to begin looking for a vet to spay her for me. No vet around here will touch a coon with a 10 foot pole.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Vet that will spay my female raccoon

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:59 pm

Don't think there's anything you can do, if it's not legal to have them there. The best thing for both of you will be a soft release. Then she will officially be free, so not being kept illegally but she can still visit and get food if she wants.
DeweysMom

Re: Vet that will spay my female raccoon

Postby DeweysMom » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:23 pm

Sorry so late to this topic...

What state are you in? That would be helpful to know to enable someone to point you in the direction of a participating vet. Best thing to do is start calling the vets in your area, asking if they would see her.

You don't HAVE to have her spayed. I've not found any evidence that indicates that a spayed female behaves any differently than an intact one. Even spayed/neutered, raccoons still tend to behave hormonal during breeding season. My boys are neutered, and they still get rammy and anxious in the spring. I've never had female raccoons, so I really can't speak personally to how they behave, but friends have indicated that their females - both spayed or intact - act a bit differently during the normal mating season.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”