PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Namira hurt her paw or is having a reaction? (cat)

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Juska

Namira hurt her paw or is having a reaction? (cat)

Postby Juska » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:51 am

Last Friday we noticed Namira limping a bit on her right front foot. I wasn't sure if she had just sprained it or something, so I left her alone at first. I think it was on Saturday, I was able to look at her foot, and she's got some dark debris up between her two outer-most toes, which I'm guessing was blood as it's stuck in her toe fur in tiny crumbled bits. The two toes are swollen and so is the paw pad on that side a little. They're a darker shade of pink but not burning red. I didn't notice any foul smell (I put my nose to it). There is a bit of yellow skin(?) on the one toe which I think is skin trying to grow back or is from the wound clearing itself out. That Saturday I did try to clean out between the toes a little with some soapy water on my index finger. It definitely made her sting, she didn't like that. I poked around in there with tweezers and didn't find any foreign objects, like a thorn or glass or anything.

After all that prodding, I couldn't actually find a wound or fresh blood. Which I thought was odd.

She wasn't licking it much until yesterday; she did lick it quite a bit after she'd run or jump on something. She still runs and plays and jumps and doesn't seem lethargic, just in a bit of pain and limps a little. She will let me take her foot and check her paw, but it is tender and she doesn't want me to "examine" it up close more than I already have :roll:

Today after work I was planning on getting some adhesive tape and gauze to wrap her foot and ankle in, hopefully after I can flush it with saltwater, so she can't lick it and maybe help the wound heal by keeping out dirt. Maybe it'll also help by putting a barrier between anything she walks on, and keep her from opening the wound back up. She is really going to hate the saltwater and I'm not sure if she'll tolerate the bandage, but I want to try. I'll try putting the saltwater in a little spray bottle and flush it that way, rather than trying to soak it, and after letting it dry for a bit, I'm hoping to get a bandage on. If she doesn't still hate me from the saltwater flush!

I did suspect it might be the litter I am using, it's Tidy Cats (I think?), it is scented. Maybe she is having a reaction to the scented part of the litter. Normally I use the lightweight Tidy Cats, or World's Best cat litter, but the latter doesn't absorb odor at all which is why I got the scented kind. I should probably grab some new litter at the store as well when I go for bandages. From other peoples' experiences I read, a lot of times it is either the brand of litter, a cleaning product, or an allergy to food or other substance. Since the only thing that has recently changed is the litter, I would be inclined to think it's that?

I've attached a photo of her paw, it's not gruesome but it's not pretty either. I took that on Saturday and it hasn't changed in color or size since then.

If it changes color or gets worse, I will take her to the vet, but for right now after extensive forum reading about the same issue in a cat, it looks like most vets just put them on an antibiotic and tell the owner to soak their feet for a week or longer. If it was one of my dogs I'd opt for the antibiotics, but Namira is a cat and I don't like putting a cat on any medication unless absolutely necessary. They can get very sick from antibiotics, if they have a bad reaction.
Attachments
20170625_153240.jpg
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Juska

Re: Namira hurt her paw or is having a reaction? (cat)

Postby Juska » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:18 am

So, it has been a week since the original post about her foot. I threw out the scented litter I was using and switched to a corn-based litter.

The pad and toes are no longer red or crusty. The pad itself is a little swollen yet, but otherwise the paw is normal-looking. The hair between her toes has grown back (in the photo above, the hair is missing). She licks it occasionally, I think she is keeping it clean and/or it might still be a bit itchy or something. I have been applying the spray that I bought, every few days.

The only thing that's bothering me is she still limps a little, and when she is sitting, she picks that foot up off the ground. But she'll use her scratch toys, grab onto things, jump, climb and run with both her front feet like nothing is wrong. I don't know if it is actually still bothering her that much or if she's just babying it. I clipped her front claws last night and she didn't try to get away or act as if she was in pain when I held her foot. The claws seem healthy, so sign of fungus or anything.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:00 am

Juska,

sorry to hear about Namira paw. I wonder if it was the litter. if it was, maybe it takes a while for her paw to heal after switching litter :shrug:
I use paws and claws non clumping litter for my cats, raccoons and foxes. never had a problem with it.

I sure hope namira paw gets better. I know it is frustrating not knowing for sure the cause. I can understand where it would be hard to treat, cause they lick their paws. wonder if you could apply something then bandage it? what about antibotic cream?
I am not real good with medical stuff, unless I experienced it.

keep us updated. and sorry for such long delays on my replies and posts.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:07 pm

I tried bandaging her paw last week, but she shook it right off. I'd need to tape the bandage around the top of her leg with adhesive tape/duct tape to keep it on, and even then she'd probably figure out a way to get it off, haha. The spray I got says it is safe if licked so that's why I got that. Because I knew there was no way I could keep her from trying to clean it. She's done a good job keeping it clean, there isn't any of that black stuff left up inside her paw now. Just a little dark staining on the hair around the paw pad and swelling. It doesn't seem like she's licking it raw, if she was doing that, then I'd have more cause to go to the vet and have them bandage it up so she couldn't do it. The only way I can tell the paw was swollen now, is if I hold up both her front feet and put my thumbs on each one, then I can feel the right one is a little more pronounced than the left one.

I'd really like to let her heal without antibiotics or other medicine; not that I'm against them or anything, just that she's not herself when on medication, especially pain meds. When we got her spayed and I brought her home with anti-pain medication in her system (I don't know what it was exactly), she became frightened of everything. She'd bolt and take running leaps into walls, try to jump onto things and miss, couldn't stand up straight, etc.

I didn't take her to the vet last week, because the paw improved day by day. If she's still limping/the pad is still this swollen by next week, I'll take her to the vet...but again, I don't think they'll be able to do anything for her that I can't do. Besides putting her on antibiotics :shrug:
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:52 pm

Sorry I forgot to reply. Everything about the first post shows lick injury to the skin, usually a result of allergies.

The continued swelling is a bit more concerning as then it's possible she was licking because of an injury or something causing the swelling rather than the licking causing any swelling. But I agree with giving it some more time to see if it continues to get better since it has some already.
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:52 pm

If the initial licking was caused due to injury/allergy, and that thing is gone but she's still irritated, maybe bandaging her foot for a few days might help it heal all the way? I think the hair growing back could be a sign of it being caused by licking, then as it got less irritated, she has licked less and it's healing.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:35 pm

glad she is healing. if you need to wrap it, have you tried the vet tape?
that is what I use when needed. when the rescue bit leo's foot, the vet put regular bandage, then vet wrap over that.
I had to change the bandage, and used the vet wrap, it did seem to stay on.

however, I agree, you probably will have to wrap it all the way up.

as mary mentioned, the swelling can be concerning too. but, at least she is making some improvement.

keep us updated.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ana

Postby Ana » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:41 pm

Do you think it was a litter allergy? We had a similar situation with a foster cat and equine bedding litter. It never occurred to me it could have been the litter!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:10 pm

Juska wrote:If the initial licking was caused due to injury/allergy, and that thing is gone but she's still irritated, maybe bandaging her foot for a few days might help it heal all the way? I think the hair growing back could be a sign of it being caused by licking, then as it got less irritated, she has licked less and it's healing.

Maybe. It could help her to use it less. If the self adhesive doesn't stay sometimes adding a bit of adhesive bandage tape will hold it, tape from end back onto the wrap. I have also sometimes resorted to using adhesive bandage tape around the top. They have stretchy adhesive tape, that you could try. That's not as sticky as the non-stretchy kind but the vets don't like that being used for fear of it getting too tight but I have done that too and just did it loosely and no limbs were lost. But before all else you can try just a bit to tack the end and keep it from unraveling if that's the issue.
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:47 am

Yes, I used stretchy vet tape with bitter additive. Unfortunately I did not get the kind that's actually sticky, just the kind that sticks to itself (not fur). So I'll have to put some actual sticky tape around the top. But I think I'll leave the bandaging to the vet, if she is still limping later this week. Whatever they recommend for it, will probably include a bandage to keep her from bothering it, because she sure as heck isn't going to stand having an e-collar on :roll:
Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:06 pm

No longer limping! Her foot seems to be back to normal except for she still picks it up off the floor when she sits. I think this is just a reflex left over from the limping, perhaps.

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”