PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Sick raccoon

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

vonne63

Sick raccoon

Postby vonne63 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:20 am

I have a fmale raccon had her from 4weeks old was orphaned nearly a year old now. Usually very playful friendly loves her food and snacks. Noticed she sleeping a lot yesterday not wanting to come out of den to eat or drink. Eventually came out ate but wont let me pick her up. I havent seen any poop now today not eating or drinking. Not lethargic moving round etc. Lets me pat her but not pick her up could it be constipation?? Or maybe coming in season need some ideas here what to do i cant lose her shes family please help
Vata Raven

Re: Sick raccoon

Postby Vata Raven » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:34 pm

Does she eat all the food you place out?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:44 pm

Hopefully one of our raccoon owners will chime in soon. Info on wild coons say they eat more in summer and fall to prepare for winter so would think slowing down might not be happening yet but don't know for sure.

You could try feeding something like canned pumpkin for extra fiber maybe put some honey or something on it to entice her. If just constipation it could help.

Signs to watch for in an animal for possible blockage, restlessness, trying to poop but nothing coming out, more advanced will also cause vomiting and lethargy.

Since she lets you pet her you could try pressing around on her stomach to see if she is sensitive anywhere or if you feel anything hard. Don't press supper hard but just a bit gently. Like with my anteaters they just poop once a day or every other day. When Pua gets up to snuggle with me at night I feel a firm lump(poop). Main thing though would be to see if anything hurts her as that would help point out a possible problem.

But maybe they are slowing down already, one of the raccoon owners could say better on that.
Ana

Postby Ana » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:57 pm

My kids have slowed down for winter, and will be in torpor by next month. During that, they sleep up to 18 hours a day, eat much less, and
are generally slow, sleepy, a little bit clumsy. Do you normally carry her? It seems the coons who are in the house full time are more amenable
to being carried than those who are in enclosures. Grumpy, tired and eating less are normal right now. ♡
vonne63

Postby vonne63 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:13 am

My cooney girl hopefully then is just slowing down for winter. She is not eating anything at moment. She does not have runny nose or eyes so dont think its distemper. Thanks to all who have replied it is very helpful and comforting to know others care. Not sure if this is where i reply to you all newm
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:15 pm

Not to worry you unnecessarily, but someone in a FB group I belong to just lost their young raccoon who had symptoms very similar to what you've indicated. Is there a vet in your area who would see her? If so, I highly recommend doing so, ASAP. Any change in behavior in your raccoon should be a red flag. Wild animals such as our raccoons tend not to show when they're sick, so the fact that you're seeing a change in her personality indicates something of concern.

This time of year is when they pack pounds on for the winter torpor. My guys are eating machines right now, so the fact that yours isn't interested in eating is a concern. And if she's not drinking, risk of dehydration is high. Dehydration can be deadly. As TG said (above), concern for a blockage would be #1. Is your baby in the house, where she can access and eat things she shouldn't be eating? Have you observed if she repeatedly visits her litter box or bathroom area, only to not pass anything (urine or feces)? Does she have access to outdoors where she could have come in contact with a diseased animal? More information would be extremely helpful in determining her issue...
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”