PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Trying to Pee

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Trying to Pee

Postby Ash » Sun May 06, 2018 9:13 pm

Nova the red fox is trying to pee, but he can't. He's trying constantly and nothing is coming out. I know he needs to go in to the vet, but should he go in tonight or could it wait until tomorrow?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Trying to Pee

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun May 06, 2018 9:58 pm

He should go in now. He wont have long if his bladder ruptures. He probably had crystals that have turned into stones and are blocking the way.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon May 07, 2018 12:42 am

My normal vet doesn't do 24/7 care, so I had to take him to a different emergency vet. He started peeing out a decent amount of blood once we got there. They did a urinalysis and determined that he has a UTI. They gave me pills to give him. They said if it doesn't clear up after a few days to bring him back in for a blood analysis.

I'm glad I brought him in. I was reading online and it looked like it could have been something really serious.

They had to sedate him, so he's still really sleepy. I think he'll stay in his crate tonight.

Thanks for the quick response. I didn't respond sooner because I just up and went to the vet, lol.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon May 07, 2018 2:25 am

I understand. I guess if it was stones they likely would have seen crystal in the urine as well so hopefully that's the case and the antibiotics clear it up.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue May 08, 2018 3:50 pm

He won't take the pills... I've tried putting them in absolutely everything. Peanut butter, strawberries, ice cream, bacon, chicken... The last thing I'm trying now is frozen-thawed rats. I'll shove the pill down the rat's throat and see if he'll take his medicine that way.

I hate seeing him like this. Rats are still thawing. If the rat method doesn't work, I'm going to go back to the urgent care and ask if they can swap the pills for injections.
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue May 08, 2018 4:22 pm

How big are they? I take it if they'll fit down a rat's throat they'd fit down his. Can you try holding him and pushing it down his throat? Though I'm guessing maybe a fox would be more prone to vomiting a pill up, than a dog or cat would...

If it's an antibiotic, maybe ask if they can make it into a (possibly even flavored) paste/liquid instead? When my rat Johnny had an upper respiratory infection the vet had the prescription medicine, which was liquid already, flavored like peanut butter and he licked it right off the end of the syringe.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue May 08, 2018 4:26 pm

They're about the size of a dime. I have to cut them up to put down the rat's throat.

We tried holding him down and opening his mouth last night and he spit it back up... This fox just does not want to eat these pills. Plus his lack of appetite isn't helping.

I'll ask about the flavoring option. I think it might just be easier to give him shots though if they'll let me do that since he's pretty good about being restrained.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue May 08, 2018 4:59 pm

Since it's okay to break them up you could dissolve them in liquid and syringe it into his mouth.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue May 08, 2018 5:09 pm

Does loss of appetite go along with having a UTI? And lethargy?

TG--that is a great idea. That will probably be the next thing I try. I need to buy a syringe though.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue May 08, 2018 6:17 pm

It could mean it's progressed to being a kidney infection. (edit: if it were a dog I might be inclined to do a day at the vet with IV antibiotics and fluids but that probably wouldn't work with a fox).

The syringe works great in cats and dogs. I hold the mouth shut and then put the tip in the pocket like side of their mouth and put in a bit at a time and they have to swallow it.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue May 08, 2018 7:33 pm

I’m getting the syringe now.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue May 08, 2018 8:55 pm

So the syringe feeding went... okay... He really hates that stuff and would shake his head each time we squirted some in his mouth. He had to be fully restrained with bite gloves, even though he was being pretty good, just didn't want to take the risk of getting bit. So more or less he got his antibiotic tonight. Thanks for the suggestion. It worked out.

I don't know if he'll ever trust humans after this, lol.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue May 08, 2018 11:24 pm

Jake is a total brat about it too but I found it actually works better if I do it myself. Get him wrapped up in a large towel and straddle him and hold him between my legs as I kneel sit on the floor with just his head sticking out. Then hold the mouth shut and squirt in from the side.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bowxF75SRg
But adding the towel helps a lot more.

Hyzzie did the head shaking thing to so if possible I would always do pills for her instead. She was fairly easy to force pill but couldn't hide them in treats.

The only one I couldn't force meds into was Pua, wish I could have. I have done it with Aurora. But they are entirely different beasts anyway like wrangling a squid with the strength of a bull and supper tiny mouth. I think that was one main difference. Pua could cinch her lips tight while Aurora had this loose flabby lower lip.
Juska

Postby Juska » Fri May 11, 2018 7:17 am

If you hold his mouth shut, he'll eventually have no choice but to swallow.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri May 11, 2018 12:50 pm

He hasn't gotten any better about taking his medicine. Even when we do hold his mouth shut he struggles like he's dying and tries everything possible to get it out--even exhaling really hard through his cheek so it sprays out. We're getting most of it in him though.

He stopped peeing blood two days ago, so it must be helping. And even though he still strains when he potties, pee does come out.

I thought about filming it for educational reasons, and then thought better of it. Everybody would be like "Oh my gosh, it's torture!" It pretty much is for the poor fella.

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”