Dog Food Recalls: viewforum.php?f=67

my beagle?

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

my beagle?

Postby pat » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:09 am

Lucy, my beagle seems to have a hard time walking. she went from running around like crazy to sleeping or laying down all day.
I have to force her to get up and moving and to go outside.

maybe she has arthritis? she seems kind of young for that :shrug: she is 6 years old.
I have to take her to the vet. money is so tight right now. but, I have to get her there.

I am worried she has cancer. my last coonhound had lymphoma cancer. but, my coonhound got to the point where she could not walk at all. icon-sad
I had to have her put down. I was lucky the vet came to the house to put her down. she died peacefully.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: my beagle?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:54 pm

Could it be lime? Didn't your dog that had lime have trouble walking?

Rheumatoid Arthritis can start young because it's an autoimmune issue rather than wear and tear so it could be that also.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:23 am

TamanduaGirl wrote:Could it be lime? Didn't your dog that had lime have trouble walking?

Rheumatoid Arthritis can start young because it's an autoimmune issue rather than wear and tear so it could be that also.

lyme crossed my mind too. however, she will have days when she will go outside and stay for awhile. she then walks OK.but,don't stay outside long.
Marco (my friend) brought over a bunch of deer meat. geez, Lucy perked up on that. :lol:

either way, I have to take her to the vet. both dogs are overdue for their vaccines.

with my coonhound dog, she got to the point where she could not walk at all. that's when I found out she had lyme disease.
if lucy does have lyme, I can get treatment sooner than I did for my coonhound. however, the antibiotics saved her life.
I also thought of arthritis.

I will call the vets at 8 when they open. I keep procrastinating on calling them. my days are so hectic.

thank you for your reply. I appreciate it.

Juska

Postby Juska » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:19 am

When Emo had lyme, she suddenly didn't want to get up one day. And when she walked, she had a limp. I had mom take her to the vet, and she tested positive for lyme.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the American shorthair
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:23 am

Juska wrote:When Emo had lyme, she suddenly didn't want to get up one day. And when she walked, she had a limp. I had mom take her to the vet, and she tested positive for lyme.

the lyme did cross mind. however, there are days when she will go outside, and stay out there for awhile. she don't limp though.
however, there are times when she is laying on her doggie cot, she will wine a little trying to get up.
I keep getting side tracked on calling the vet. both dogs are overdue for their shots.

I am glad you got Emo taken care before it was too late. did you get a script for Emo? I had to give my coonhound the script for 30 days.

thank you for letting me know.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:10 pm

juska,

I was lucky and got a vet appointment today. I am taking both dogs with me.
I hope lucy can be helped. will let you know the outcome when I get back.

thank you much for your info.

GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:55 pm

Glad you got a vet appointment. Hope it all turns out okay!

Lucy does seem pretty young to have arthritis, but our four older doggies are all feeling the winter weather and walking a little stiffer. Cinnamon has been limping on and off and can't go on daily walks or he gets too sore.

Our dogs have also gotten short-term pulled muscles and other small leg or back injuries from playing too hard that led to quite severe symptoms for a few hours. They would refuse to put their paw down, refuse to walk/stand, but with some rest or a little medication to help with the pain they all healed up quickly.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:09 am

GitaBooks wrote:Glad you got a vet appointment. Hope it all turns out okay!

Lucy does seem pretty young to have arthritis, but our four older doggies are all feeling the winter weather and walking a little stiffer. Cinnamon has been limping on and off and can't go on daily walks or he gets too sore.

Our dogs have also gotten short-term pulled muscles and other small leg or back injuries from playing too hard that led to quite severe symptoms for a few hours. They would refuse to put their paw down, refuse to walk/stand, but with some rest or a little medication to help with the pain they all healed up quickly.

appreciate you telling me about your dogs. now that you mention it, Lucy was always on the run. she would be outside for hours.
maybe she did pull something. the vet was not very clear, I think she said Lucy might have a little arthritis. got a script for rymadal.
guess, I will see what happens.

both dogs were tested for lyme, and both test come back negative. I was glad to hear that. both got lyme preventive injection.

Lucy did or does have fleas though. I am paranoid about using flea treatment. both need a bath, especially my aussie dog.
I don't have a bathtub, only a shower stall, not sure how they would take to that. I might take them to Petco.

for fleas, I have advantage II. it is old, can't remember when I got it. do you think it would work? also, do you think it is safe?
the vet tried selling me the oral flea meds. nope, I won't use that.

thank you much for your reply.

GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:54 pm

Flea meds can be scary, I've heard the stories. We use to use one you applied to the skin (frontline), but the fleas in the area became immune and our dogs were so miserable. Our house was crawling with them, we all had bites on our bodies, I couldn't go into my bed room anymore, we had to shave the dogs practically bald because they were chewing themselves raw. Than we found trifexis. It is an oral medication, but has worked wonders. No more fleas! It also helps take care of worms and ticks. It was such a relief and, after years, it still works.
hecate
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby hecate » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:18 pm

When I was working in Greyhound adoption, many newly arrived dogs had fleas. Greyhounds are sensitive to many chemicals that are "safe" on other breeds, so my vet recommended using Advantage at half the recommended dose on only about half of the dogs. Since fleas are so mobile, every dog didn't need to be treated. It probably took longer than if all of them had the full dose, but it did eliminate the fleas.

Before Advantage was available, I just washed them and used Raid Fumigators in the house. They produce a dry "fog" that penetrates everywhere and leaves no residue.

https://www.hunker.com/13422011/raid-fu ... directions

About a million years ago, a vet put my first German Shepherd who was flea-allergic on oral Proban (cythioate, an organophosphate). It didn't go well at all. I'll never use any systemic flea control products on any animal ever again.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:53 am

GitaBooks wrote:Flea meds can be scary, I've heard the stories. We use to use one you applied to the skin (frontline), but the fleas in the area became immune and our dogs were so miserable. Our house was crawling with them, we all had bites on our bodies, I couldn't go into my bed room anymore, we had to shave the dogs practically bald because they were chewing themselves raw. Than we found trifexis. It is an oral medication, but has worked wonders. No more fleas! It also helps take care of worms and ticks. It was such a relief and, after years, it still works.

I am very paranoid using flea meds. especially oral. I have also heard front line don't work anymore.
sounds like you had a bad infestation of fleas icon-sad I had that happen to me years ago.

I am very paranoid using anything oral for fleas. I really don''t have fleas bad, if at all. I checked my beagle yesterday with a flea comb, and there was not one on her. but, I kept combing anyway. after I was done, I put coconut oil on her. not sure if it helps, but, can't hurt.
I started washing their doggie beds, but one bed threw my washer way out of wack :roll: The washer danced to almost the middle of the floor :lol:
never seen that happen before.

in the summer, I bought a fogger (it is called no-bite) I didn't use it yet. but, if I start seeing fleas, I will. it is suppose to kill all kinds of bugs and fleas.

I certainly hope you get the flea issue under control. I know how horrible it can be. keep me updated please and let us know what works and what don't.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:05 am

hecate wrote:When I was working in Greyhound adoption, many newly arrived dogs had fleas. Greyhounds are sensitive to many chemicals that are "safe" on other breeds, so my vet recommended using Advantage at half the recommended dose on only about half of the dogs. Since fleas are so mobile, every dog didn't need to be treated. It probably took longer than if all of them had the full dose, but it did eliminate the fleas.

Before Advantage was available, I just washed them and used Raid Fumigators in the house. They produce a dry "fog" that penetrates everywhere and leaves no residue.

https://www.hunker.com/13422011/raid-fu ... directions

About a million years ago, a vet put my first German Shepherd who was flea-allergic on oral Proban (cythioate, an organophosphate). It didn't go well at all. I'll never use any systemic flea control products on any animal ever again.

that Is interesting you worked with greyhound adoption. I always felt sorry for greyhounds that raced. I did hear people were adopting the retired greyhounds. I almost thought about getting one awhile back.

I think the advantage is OK too. I might put some on my dogs. but, will have to get some for my cats. even though I did not see fleas, I still might. not sure yet.

I got a fogger too, but did not use it yet. I don't have carpets, so that could be why I don't have a lot of fleas.
I also have a bunch of guineas outside, they are good for eating ticks, but, not sure about fleas. If anyone knows, let me know.
when I get a chance, I will research on what all guineas eat.

if anyone don't know what guineas are, here is what they look like:
https://www.motherearthnews.com/homeste ... az92aszshe
they can be noisy at times, but not too bad. their noise don't 'bother me at all. in fact, I enjoy hearing them.

Juska

Postby Juska » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:44 am

Glad it's not lyme. Hopefully the arthritis is manageable.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the American shorthair
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:35 pm

Juska wrote:Glad it's not lyme. Hopefully the arthritis is manageable.

I got rymadale for her. don't seem to help a lot.
she lays on her doggie cot too much. she even goes as far as covering herself up :roll:
I have to force her to outside. usually, once she is out, she seems OK :shrug:
I try to keep her joints moving. I would think too much laying around is not good either.

I am really glad it was not lyme. the guineas seem to help with the ticks. but, I did find a tick on lucy twice a few weeks ago.

GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:33 am

Dogs with pulled muscles or nerve problems walk differently than with arthritis. Arthritis is stiff in the joint areas but not usually too tight. Most of our older dogs have gotten arthritis, some quite badly, and it usually includes limping and avoiding bending the legs, trouble getting on furniture and being slow going up stairs.
When my dog hurt his back he arched it and his stomach was as hard as a rock because he was so tense. He took very short steps and hung his head. Poor baby, it took him a few hours and some steroids to bring the swelling down but he's all better now.
At the shelter where I volunteer we had a dog with nerve damage as well as arthritis. You can tell it is a nerve problem because when you flip over their back paws they are slow to correct them.

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”