https://www.gofundme.com/f/my-sick-beagle-dog

could anyone post this on their Facebook, or whatever they have for media
It is for Lucy (my beagle) she has some serious health issues.
=======================================

Dog food recalls: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14747

my beagle?

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: my beagle?

Postby pat » Mon May 27, 2019 12:08 pm

GitaBook

How is Cinnamon? it has been a few weeks since the surgery? I am thinking positive thoughts for you and cinnamon.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon May 27, 2019 12:19 pm

Update on Lucy:

she is doing so much better now. she stays outside a lot longer, and even hunts a little.
she is back to normal.

the prednisone was useless. but the new pills work great. geez, I had to tell my vet about this script :roll:

my vet keeps wanting me to come often. guess cause the $$$

the only problem I have now is when Lucy runs out of pills, if he will call in for a refill.the last time I was there, he said her blood work was a lot better. I have a feeling he will want to do blood work again and collect more money.

he had me coming back every week before, then changed it to every 2 weeks since her blood work improving.
I canceled her last appointment. I did call there to ask him about a refill, but, he was off that day.

GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Mon May 27, 2019 10:08 pm

So glad Lucy is doing so well!

Cinnamon is doing amazing! At first I was worried because he was panting, coughing, and, without the pain meds, seemed quite sore, but we think the panting was just his reaction to the steroids (he generally can't take them because they give him panic attacks). They have started to wear off and he doesn't even need pain meds anymore! His stitches are already out. He is happy, playful, jumps on and off furniture, and has even started rolling around on his back again (something he wouldn't do with his tumor).
Going to see the vet in a few weeks to check how the healing is going and see if his panting and anemia have gotten better by then.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed May 29, 2019 12:33 pm

GitaBooks wrote:So glad Lucy is doing so well!

Cinnamon is doing amazing! At first I was worried because he was panting, coughing, and, without the pain meds, seemed quite sore, but we think the panting was just his reaction to the steroids (he generally can't take them because they give him panic attacks). They have started to wear off and he doesn't even need pain meds anymore! His stitches are already out. He is happy, playful, jumps on and off furniture, and has even started rolling around on his back again (something he wouldn't do with his tumor).
Going to see the vet in a few weeks to check how the healing is going and see if his panting and anemia have gotten better by then.

you made my day. I am so happy cinnamon is doing good. why did the vet give him steroids? I would think pain pills would be better.
right now, I can't remember the name of the script, but, it for pain and inflation.
Lucy did not do any good at all with the steroids. the meds she has now is helping. she is just about back to normal. (hunting rabbits or just walking around outside.

GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Thu May 30, 2019 12:20 am

I think the steroids were so he wouldn't react to the stitches, but he did anyways, so they removed them early (they were the kind that dissolve, but they were getting infected). After the ones on his belly were removed he started doing much better.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu May 30, 2019 11:03 am

GitaBooks wrote:I think the steroids were so he wouldn't react to the stitches, but he did anyways, so they removed them early (they were the kind that dissolve, but they were getting infected). After the ones on his belly were removed he started doing much better.

wonder why the stitches caused an infection. my vet uses glue. however, I guess it depends on the type of surgery.
a long time ago, Lucy cut her chest really bad on junk that hubby has laying around outside :roll:
It was horrible to see, a big flap of her chest was hanging down. (I am very whimpy with stuff like that)
I took Lucy to the vet and they stitches her up with a lot of stitches. I guess in that case glue would not have worked well.
I think Lucy was got pain med and steroids. With Ceaser probably the same idea. guess glue would not have worked on Ceaser either.
I am just happy to hear that Ceasar is on the road to recovery.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:35 am

I have another problem with Lucy. Her eyes are red. I have eye drops for her.
nothing is working. I watched a video about massaging a part of the eye. I tried it, but, it is supposed to take about 10 days to work.
something about the corona. :shrug:

also, she seems like she cannot see well. it is really weird. gary and I went to a party yesterday afternoon to evening.
when I came home, she acted like she could not see. she was bumping into the wall. She was fine when I left.
as of today, she seems pretty sick.

I know when I go out and gary is home, Lucy cries almost the whole time I am gone. so not sure if that is what the problem is?

I will take her to the vets. not sure when I get an appointment. money is so tight for me right now. but, I will do what I can to get her to the vets.

all ideas are welcome.

GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:55 pm

Poor Lucy. : (
Do her eyes seem swollen or larger than normal or just red? The main issues I've seen with dog eyes are cherry eye (when the third eyelid swells up), glaucoma (the eyes themselves swell), and cataracts. A lot of our older dogs have cataracts, and in some dogs it can start at a pretty young age. However, it doesn't make their eyes red, it just makes it more difficult for them to see.

I would be concerned about sudden changes in vision. We had a dog that seemed to have temporary issues with vision after having a seizure. Dogs also may bump into things and be disoriented if they've had a seizure.
However, I can also say that some things that come with aging can have quite a sudden onset. In the last year, two of our dogs went mostly deaf so quickly that we're still getting use to it (we thought they were just ignoring us). Another is going blind from cataracts. It can seem sudden.

Hope things turn out alright!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:19 pm

Oh no. I hope you can get some answers after the vet visit is scheduled and gone to.
I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:01 pm

GitaBooks wrote:Poor Lucy. : (
Do her eyes seem swollen or larger than normal or just red? The main issues I've seen with dog eyes are cherry eye (when the third eyelid swells up), glaucoma (the eyes themselves swell), and cataracts. A lot of our older dogs have cataracts, and in some dogs it can start at a pretty young age. However, it doesn't make their eyes red, it just makes it more difficult for them to see.

I would be concerned about sudden changes in vision. We had a dog that seemed to have temporary issues with vision after having a seizure. Dogs also may bump into things and be disoriented if they've had a seizure.
However, I can also say that some things that come with aging can have quite a sudden onset. In the last year, two of our dogs went mostly deaf so quickly that we're still getting use to it (we thought they were just ignoring us). Another is going blind from cataracts. It can seem sudden.

Hope things turn out alright!

her eyes don't seem swollen. but does have a glaze over them.
she will go outside when I go with her. she did bump into a tree. but, later walked down the driveway and back up.
now she is laying behind me looking so pitiful. icon-sad

the white of her eyes is red. I was talking to my niece (she also has an autoimmune disease) she is the one that told me about the meds for Lucy. However, I talked to her today And she said the meds will affect the eyes. she gets injections in her eyes for that to clear her vision.
I tried to get an appointment with my vet, but, he is filled for tomorrow. there are other vets there, I will call tomorrow and see how soon I can get an appointment.

actually, it is pretty bad I had to tell the vet what script to use. :roll: maybe I should find another vet.

thank you so much for your support.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:05 pm

Ash wrote:Oh no. I hope you can get some answers after the vet visit is scheduled and gone to.

thank you Ash. I am going to try and find a vet as soon as I can find one that will look at Lucy sooner.
I think I know what happened. I posted it on gitabooks reply.

it is just so heartbreaking for me and Lucy. I hate to see any animal in distress.

I will keep you updated.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:57 am

Lucy is completely blind. I don't know what I can do. she can smell her way around, but, I have seen her bump into trees.
It is very heartbreaking for me. I had a vet appointment a few days ago, but, i got so sidetracked and loaded with work, I forgot about the time for an appointment.. I rescheduled july 11. that is the soonest I can get an appointment :roll:

last night one of my cats killed and ate a rabbit. he could not finish it, lucy took it and hid it outside, and she did eat more of it.

overall, I believe Lucy goes by smell,. most hunting dogs have a very keen sense of smell.

all ideas are welcome that might help Lucy.

GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:40 pm

Poor girl. I hope there is something the vet can do.

While we don't personally have any fully blind dogs, many dogs do go blind (some at a young age) and learn to manage quite well. While it is hard to qitness, and I'm sure it is at first hard on them, dogs adapt very quickly and it does not lessen their quality of life, especially if special care is taken to assist them with certain things. We had a blind dog for adoption at the shelter where I volunteer and calling out before touching them, using words to signal certain things (such as going outside or food time) all help them. Also, keeping the house and yard set up in the same way so they don't bump into things they aren't expecting is important. Some dogs may still bump into things when they get excited; I've seen some people use a "halo" that warns the dog when they are going to run into something.
Some rescues and trainers specialize in working with blind dogs, there is some great information out there.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:16 pm

GitaBooks wrote:Poor girl. I hope there is something the vet can do.

While we don't personally have any fully blind dogs, many dogs do go blind (some at a young age) and learn to manage quite well. While it is hard to qitness, and I'm sure it is at first hard on them, dogs adapt very quickly and it does not lessen their quality of life, especially if special care is taken to assist them with certain things. We had a blind dog for adoption at the shelter where I volunteer and calling out before touching them, using words to signal certain things (such as going outside or food time) all help them. Also, keeping the house and yard set up in the same way so they don't bump into things they aren't expecting is important. Some dogs may still bump into things when they get excited; I've seen some people use a "halo" that warns the dog when they are going to run into something.
Some rescues and trainers specialize in working with blind dogs, there is some great information out there.

thank you for the information. I was talking to my niece the other day. she also has Autoimmune disease. she said blindless can happen from the pills she takes and Lucy takes. but, it is rare. However, my niece gets injections in her eyes (yuck) to prevent blindness. Lucy might be too bad now, I don't know. I can only hope something will help. it just breaks my heart to see Lucy like this.

worse case, as you said, she can adjust. but, it does bother me that she cannot see. icon-sad she does have a glaze over her eyes. so maybe it is too late :shrug:

GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:22 pm

Certainly hoping for the best. I've heard of animals going blind for issues like poor nutrition or head trauma that regained their vision, not saying Lucy has that, but hopefully Lucy can do the same with her condition.

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”