Dog Food Recalls: viewforum.php?f=67

my beagle?

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: my beagle?

Postby pat » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:41 am

GitaBooks wrote:Certainly hoping for the best. I've heard of animals going blind for issues like poor nutrition or head trauma that regained their vision, not saying Lucy has that, but hopefully Lucy can do the same with her condition.

Lucy gets fed good food. at least I thought so. I cook her chicken, then grind it. sometimes I put a little rice and a little veggies in it.
she get marrow bones for treats.

she is so spoiled, she won't eat dog food. she loves cat food, but, I keep that away from her. once in a while she will steal some.
from what I have read it could be heritary. I bought her from a couple Amish kids. I know Amish don't treat animals like we do.

I was thinking of taking Lucy to another vet. :shrug:

can't remember if I mentioned this, but the other day, one of my cats actually caught and killed a rabbit. he could not finish it.
but, Lucy took what was left and put the rabbit in a different spot and has been munching on that. at least she is eating.

thank you for your support, it really means a lot to me.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:07 pm

I don't think her blindness is from nutrition, I was just using an example of times when a blind dog regained their vision. You take wonderful care of your animals!

I might suggest another vet. Sometimes it is hard to find another in your area, but if you don't feel comfortable with your vet its like not feeling comfortable with your doctor. The whole goal is what is best for your animal, so if they seem uninterested or don't know things they should know, or seem more interested in money than what is the best option, then they might not be the best fit for your animals.
We go to two different vets, the more expensive (but closer) one who is really good with diagnosing issues and doing any necessary major surgeries. Cinnamon went to him. Our other vet is cheaper and does tooth cleaning and minor surgeries. Both have worked out well for us.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:26 am

GitaBooks wrote:I don't think her blindness is from nutrition, I was just using an example of times when a blind dog regained their vision. You take wonderful care of your animals!

I might suggest another vet. Sometimes it is hard to find another in your area, but if you don't feel comfortable with your vet its like not feeling comfortable with your doctor. The whole goal is what is best for your animal, so if they seem uninterested or don't know things they should know, or seem more interested in money than what is the best option, then they might not be the best fit for your animals.
We go to two different vets, the more expensive (but closer) one who is really good with diagnosing issues and doing any necessary major surgeries. Cinnamon went to him. Our other vet is cheaper and does tooth cleaning and minor surgeries. Both have worked out well for us.

the vet office I go to has 5 or more vets working there. the vet I usually see has been treating all my animals for years. He does farm calls, and did a good job with them. except for my male black bear. (he makes house calls) my male black bear was not doing good. not sure what was wrong with him. I do remember the white of his eyes were red and was pretty inactive. the vet did not bring the proper sedative to treat him :roll: he used whatever he had on his truck, and it did not knock him out at all, only stressed Benny (my male beer). my vet was scared I guess. but, if I remember, he did manage to get some sedative in Benny, but, did not work. :roll: He died a few weeks later. I will never know what was wrong with him.
I just remember he had some type of large lump hanging from his stomach. I was so sad when he died, he was actually pet quality very friendly never tried to bite, he loved being petted. Sybil (my female) is alone now, but, she is moody. I don't trust her all the time.

I have been looking for another vet. I just don't know who is good and who is not. money is a big issue for me too. :roll:
the appointment I have with this other vet is July 11. I really don't want to wait that long.

Lucy is getting worse. I think she is completely blind. this morning there was water or piss all over the floor in my room. it didn't look like urine, but, could have been. she has been pissing in the house, she never did that before she got sick. she is free to go outside 24/7.

Maybe the auto immune disease is now attacking some of or organs? This is stressing me out so much, Lucy is or was such a good and lovable dog.
it just breaks my heart to see her like this. I can go to an emergency visit, but just the visit is a lot more money. I will call them today and see how much. I think they said almost $100.00 just for the visit :roll: I honestly think she will have to be put down. :cry:

GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:08 pm

I'm sorry, it really is so hard to see them struggling, so hard to try to balance the money with the amount of help you want to give them.

Hang in there. Praying you can get a vet appointment that gives answers without costing too much.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:28 pm

GitaBooks wrote:I'm sorry, it really is so hard to see them struggling, so hard to try to balance the money with the amount of help you want to give them.

Hang in there. Praying you can get a vet appointment that gives answers without costing too much.

Thank you. It is just so hard on her and me to see her decline. she does go outside sometimes. but, I know she cannot see.
There might be times she might be able to see. not sure. I quit giving her the meds for her Auto Immune issue.
I just give her prednisone. I really don't know what else I can do.

Thank you again for your support. It means a lot to me.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:48 am

Lucy is getting worse icon-sad I think she is losing control of her bladder. she is starting to pee in the house.
however, yesterday she was outside for quite awhile. I walked the property looking for her. then when I headed back toward the house
she was in the cow pasture :roll: It just breaks my heart that she can't see.

I found another vet that might be more educated and more equipment. I am going to make an appointment with him.
actually, he use to have (he still might) a TV show. I use to watch him on TV. He also does exotics. not sure what his fees are.
but, I might try the "go fund me page" for her some money.

I can't remember if I told you, Lucy also has some type of tumor in her tummy. not sure if it is cancer. my vet wanted a lot of money just to X-Ray her.
To be honest, I don't think anything can be reversed. I hope I am wrong.

I might try the "go fund me page". I hate doing stuff like that, but, I try and do the best I can for my animals.

I stopped at my local humane society yesterday. there was a 7 year old coonhound. I interacted with her a little, and she seemed very friendly.
I really would like to get another coonhound either way. it helps keep the wild foxes and anything wild away from my outdoor animals.
I lost so many chickens and guineas to this wild fox.

thank you again for your support and understanding.

GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:06 pm

Maybe the tumor is pressing on something and causing some of the issues (tumors can cause hormonal imbalances)?

Yeah, its hard when you start realizing they might be ready to go soon. I wouldn't give up yet though, this new vet could help a lot! Since you stopped her medication, that could be why she is peeing so much (steroids does make dogs pee a ton).

My Cinnamon has a growth in his mouth too large to remove. He's doing great right now, but we're waiting for the biopsy to come back. Doesn't look good, but I'm doing my best to help him enjoy his time (he sure is happy since getting his spleen out). Hopefully something can be found that helps Lucy enjoy herself just as much!

Shelter dogs are the best! The hound dogs especially, always so sweet and loving. Just remember, some shelter doggies don't get along with other dogs, cats, or chickens just because they weren't socialized around them when young (especially if they were previously hunting dogs, we get a lot of abandoned hunting dogs at our shelter).
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:06 pm

GitaBooks wrote:Maybe the tumor is pressing on something and causing some of the issues (tumors can cause hormonal imbalances)?

Yeah, its hard when you start realizing they might be ready to go soon. I wouldn't give up yet though, this new vet could help a lot! Since you stopped her medication, that could be why she is peeing so much (steroids does make dogs pee a ton).

My Cinnamon has a growth in his mouth too large to remove. He's doing great right now, but we're waiting for the biopsy to come back. Doesn't look good, but I'm doing my best to help him enjoy his time (he sure is happy since getting his spleen out). Hopefully something can be found that helps Lucy enjoy herself just as much!

Shelter dogs are the best! The hound dogs especially, always so sweet and loving. Just remember, some shelter doggies don't get along with other dogs, cats, or chickens just because they weren't socialized around them when young (especially if they were previously hunting dogs, we get a lot of abandoned hunting dogs at our shelter).

I was looking at a completely different vet office. there is one not real far from me. I wanted to call, but, I got so tied up with paper work, and other work. actually, I think it is the vet that use to have a couple videos on TV. Not sure. (Dr Mike) Not sure of their prices, but, the place I go to is shy about charging me either. :roll:

glad to hear Cinnamon is making improvement. just when we think it is the end, they sometimes are here to stay. but, I am very happy for you.

what you said about the peeing and the tumor makes a lot of sense. I thought of that too. but, i am not real up on health stuff.
I just want to find about Lucy as soon as possible.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:45 am

I hope I am wrong, but, think Lucy is dying :cry: I m so upset over this.
her vet visit is Thursday. I can bring her in the emergency, but, it is $115.00 :roll:

Now my problem is, my car broke last night. the drive shaft went out on it.
hubby is suppose to fix it. his truck don't run either :roll: all he has now is his motorcycle.
I will need to find a part for my car first. geez, "when it rains it pours"

GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:31 pm

That sounds so hard. For peace of mind, I might just go with the emergency vet. Is there anyone you can borrow a vehicle from? I remember you earlier saying you might try setting up a Go Fund Me page, that can help cover at least some of the costs.
Praying!
hecate
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby hecate » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:27 pm

Don't you have a PayPal account? In the shore term it would be quicker.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:52 pm

GitaBooks wrote:That sounds so hard. For peace of mind, I might just go with the emergency vet. Is there anyone you can borrow a vehicle from? I remember you earlier saying you might try setting up a Go Fund Me page, that can help cover at least some of the costs.
Praying!

Lucy's appointment is this Thursday. I plan on trying the go fund me page. all I need now is the time to figure it out and do it :roll:
I just have too crap at the same time.

I think the vet might suggest putting her down. she is getting worse. every time I look at her, I think she is in pain or dying.
then to matters worse, she somehow hurt her foot. I put a vet wrap on it to support her foot and bottom leg. but, that did not help.
she is also peeing in the house. she just cannot see at all at this point. Basically, she has no life quality. :cry:

I have to actually carry her outside for a little fresh air. then carry her back in. she looks pretty bad.
I think I mentioned she also has a tumor in her tummy. not sure if it is cancer. the last time I was there, the vet said he could do an x-ray for over $100.00 :roll: I remember my last male coonhound had lymphoma cancer. all the vet did was a sample of blood and put it on a slide, then viewed it thru a microscope. I don't understand whey they did not do that with Lucy.

I won't borrow a car. I have a fattish about that. my neice said she will take lucy and me to the vets. she lives 30+miles away.
I feel bad she has to drive that far. I have a local friend , I thought about calling him.
I guess, I waited this long, I may as well wait till Thursday.

Gary ordered a used part I need for my car, it won't be in until Wednesday. He claims he will have my car running by Thursday.
I will believe it when I see it happen.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:54 pm

hecate wrote:Don't you have a PayPal account? In the shore term it would be quicker.

yes, I do have a paypal account. I will try to squeeze that in today. Not sure how much to ask for.
I thought of about $500.00. it might help cover the past expenses I had to put on my charge card.

thank you for your support. I really appreciate it.

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:40 pm

I'm sorry it's so rough, Pat. I'll keep my fingers crossed for Lucy. She seems like a very good dog.
I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:02 am

Ash wrote:I'm sorry it's so rough, Pat. I'll keep my fingers crossed for Lucy. She seems like a very good dog.

thank you Ash. I know you and any animal owners will understand how hard it is to see our pets health decline. icon-sad

2 nights ago, Lucy could not walk at all. I had to carry her outside to pee,
geez, she is a load to pick up for a small dog. she just layed in the driveway the whole time.
after I brought her back in the house, I made up a mix of vitamins, her pills for the auto immune, thistle oil, prednisone.
the next day, she surprised me. she went outside in the afternoon by herself, and walked around for quite awhile.
prior to that she could not walk.

the vet appointment is tomorrow. Gary is suppose to have my car fixed by then.(I hope so)
what I am not sure of if the tumor in her tummy is cancer.

the one time I was at the vets with lucy. I told the vet about her tummy. he said, she will need an X-ray.
why couldn't he have pulled a little blood from her and put it on a slide (a lot cheaper than an X-ray)
when I go to the vets tomorrow, I will ask why they could not do that.

I had a coonhound that had cancer. I did not know. he was having a hard time walking.
turned out he had lymphonia cancer. he lived for about 6 months, he got to the point where he could not walk at all.
in my heart, I knew it was time to let him go. the vet even made a house call to check her, and put her down at my house.
he was about 12

I will post the outcome of the vet visit.

thank you for your concern.

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”