Dog Food Recalls: viewforum.php?f=67

is this a tick on my cat sammy?

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Juska

Re: is this a tick on my cat sammy?

Postby Juska » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:36 pm

Vets get a lot of owners bringing their pets in with cases of "ADR"...vet slang for "Ain't Doin' Right" :lol: I'm sure your vet will understand your concern if you decide to take Sammy in.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the American shorthair
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:06 pm

guess, I am concerned sammy could have gotten some type of disease from this tick.
especially "lyme" disease. if he did get lyme disease, how long does it take to show signs?

He seems to be doing OK now. but, I am just finding it strange, that he is not spending much time outside. he loves it outside. he has been in the house all day, and all night.
he did go outside today for about 10 minutes.

thanks again,
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:23 pm

Hey All,

Sorry for the late reply but here are my two cents.

Lasergrl wrote:Agreed, a tick. Seriously doubt its the same tick. They only feed for 3-11 days then fall off. That one isnt even full ;)

What type of tick stays on an animal for 11 days feeding? I have never heard of a tick staying on for more then three or four or until it is "full".

Lasergrl wrote:Lack of energy is not likely from the tick, because it hasnt been attached long enough for the diseases to express themselves. However could he have gotten something from a previous tick, yes. Usually cats dont really have much of symptoms but, if he is one of your favorites then Murphys law applies!

I have never had a personal cat with Lyme disease. I have seen a few however. They mostly did not act right , I.E. not eating or drinking. Also some tender/swelling issues hence "limited" mobility. What symptoms have you seen with cats and Lyme disease?

TamanduaGirl wrote:It will let go and fall off once full so if it falls off it wont reattach

That is my experience with ticks in both animals and humans.

Juska wrote:A simple way to prevent ticks and fleas is to put garlic powder in their food, works with dogs, not sure about cats but it probably works just as well.

NEVER BUT GARLIC POWDER IN EXCESS ON A DOMESTIC CAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pat wrote:guess, I am concerned sammy could have gotten some type of disease from this tick.
especially "lyme" disease. if he did get lyme disease, how long does it take to show signs?

It is possible the cat could get a disease from a tick. But it very very unlikely to show symptoms so quickly. But as Lasergrl said Murphy s Law on favorite pets is different then other animals :lol: .

It can take months to show symptoms. But it will most likely take weeks to show any tangible symptoms related to the tick bite.

pat wrote:He seems to be doing OK now. but, I am just finding it strange, that he is not spending much time outside. he loves it outside. he has been in the house all day, and all night.
he did go outside today for about 10 minutes

I find that VERY worrying. Are your cats tested for and given shots for FeLV, FIP and such? If not then I would get him tested for and given shots for the major feline communicable diseases. Also I would get a general blood panel done if his behavior does not go back to normal in seven to ten days. Or if he is not eating and drinking like normal in about a week or starts eating or drinking less.
Juska

Postby Juska » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:10 pm

Here are symptoms related to Lyme disease in cats:

* Lameness
* Joint Pain
* Joint Swelling
* Fever
* No appetite
* Dehydration
* Lethargy
* Swollen lymph nodes
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the American shorthair
astargirl22

Postby astargirl22 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:27 pm

gosh arent ticks so freaking nasty... during the summer they are so freaking bad here and i hate it! several of them will bite in or about the same spot. frontline works really well btw
~PROUD PARENT OF A SPOILED LITTLE SWIFT FOX NAMED BELLA AND A HANDSOME CHILL MARBLE FOX NAMED BARRETT~
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:46 am

I really appreciate all the great info here.

sammy seems to be OK. but, I am still concerned he still could have something wrong.
I think I will take him to the vet. he should have his shots anyway.
however, sammy seems to be laying around a little more than he use to, but, he don't look to be in
distress.

I have a couple tubes of frontline plus. so, I will begin his treatment.

may as well take my youngest dog also, she seems to be acting a little different.
maybe it is me just being paranoid. icon_confused.gif
she is due for her rabie shot anyway.

now the hard part is paying the vet icon-sad

again, thanks all, it really meant a lot to me for every ones help and support.

♥animals

Postby ♥animals » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:16 pm

Definitely a tick. We use Heart-guard so usually don't have to worry about them & they are everywhere -bad in IL.

I'm concerned about him not wanting to go outside but that hole seems rather large.......... Let us know! ; )
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:25 pm

Hi Pat,

pat wrote:sammy seems to be OK. but, I am still concerned he still could have something wrong.
I think I will take him to the vet. he should have his shots anyway.

Just so you know the shots for the fairly common feline diseases do not work unless the animals has been tested for and is NEGATIVE for the disease. For example the FIP shot will not prevent FIP if the cat already has FIP. Hence why I strongly recommend the blood testing for the feline communicable diseases BEFORE giving the cat those shots.

But it is good you are taking him to the vet if he is not acting right.

pat wrote: I have a couple tubes of Frontline Plus. so, I will begin his treatment.

It is NOT RECOMMENDED you or anyone else put on Frontline Plus on a cat that is suspected to be sick.

Hi ♥animals,

♥animals wrote:I'm concerned about him not wanting to go outside but that hole seems rather large.......... Let us know! ; )

I agree with being concerned about Sammy not wanting to go outdoors. But I do not think the hole is that large. But that is just my opinion.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:34 pm

I think sammy will be fine. but, I still plan on taking him to the vet.
was going to go today, until I realized I dont have any brakes in my car :roll:
I am going to drop my car off tomorrow, hopefully to get fixed.

Sammy has been in the house most of the day, however, it has been raining out all day too.
he did go outside a couple times today for a little while.

when I posted before about the three cats I have that had a tick. I was wrong.
it was a worm. that is why the one cat had a hole needed stitches.

I have no idea (or can't remember) what type of worm does that.
I just remember is was pretty horrifying.

when I use to have rheas, I had a baby that had a hole in its neck, where this type of worm
bored a hole. I was so deep, that every time the baby rhea would eat, the food would come out of the hole :shock: I did take it to the vet and said, the baby rhea had a 50/50 chance.
but, he didn't make it. guess he starved to death icon-sad

not to change the subject from tick to worm, but, anyone ever heard of these type of worms?

another bit THANK YOU to every ones input and support

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:46 pm

You might be thinking of bot fly larvae.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:51 am

TamanduaGirl wrote:You might be thinking of bot fly larvae.

must be, never really knew what it was.
do you know what attracts them? or any preventive for them?

I think that is what the three cats I mentioned before had.
was not a tick. the one cat needed stitches. this was about 3 years ago.

sammy seems to doing much better. he still is in the house more,but,
the weather has been pretty crappy too.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:57 pm

You can buy a fly off stuff to spray on your livestock but don't know how safe it would be for cats and exotics and it doesn't last very long.

You can buy nematodes and spray them all over your land. It did help with fleas in our yard but they are really expensive and flies travel farther than fleas. I got mine here but only used for fleas. They have some other fly control options that may work too.

http://www.arbico-organics.com/category ... l-Products
♥animals

Postby ♥animals » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:59 pm

Did you get your car fixed & Sammy to the vet? Just checking on you two..
Animals

Rottie RIP, Yorkie, Bengal, & Turtle + kid's chin, pupper dog mutt & 2 pitbulls staying right now..... ; )
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:10 pm

sorry for taking so long for update. really been busy, and just getting over being sick icon-sad

sammy is doing great. he is back to normal.

guess, I just hit the "panic button" to soon icon-smile

thanks all for your help and support.

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”