Dog Food Recalls: viewforum.php?f=67

Flea Infestation!

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Alynn

Flea Infestation!

Postby Alynn » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:10 am

My pets, seemingly overnight have become infested with fleas.

Well, Samantha, our setter mix had been chewing herself raw around her tail and on a little spot on her leg. I checked her for fleas but found none.
Jack has been scratching too - but he has allergies that generally flare up the worse in the fall, as his eyes are red too, so I thought it was just that. I checked him too - no fleas.
Amber had scabs all over her, around the neck and the base of her tail, and I was thinking she had fleas too, and I checked her. Once again no fleas, just scabs from her scratching.
The only animals not scratching are Fender the cat, who has about no fur for fleas at this point, and Miehiera. I have actually never seen her scratch, ever.
I figured the animals were getting allergies to the seasons or the food, so I made a note to buy a different food next time we went to the store.

Then Friday morning, we left to go visit my brother in the U.P., came back Saturday morning and it seems as though my animals just exploded with fleas.
Amber's neck is just... caked with scabs. This is the worse I've ever seen it. I picked through her hair and there is flea dirt everywhere, and it seems like every time I split her hairs a flea goes scuttling through. I've already caught and killed about three.
Jack is worse - he's ripped out fur on his back and he's covered in flea dirt and fleas.

Later today (it's too late right now, I gotta sleep), I am taking every animal, giving them a bath and dousing them with Dawn soap. Including the cat. She hasn't gotten a bath in like a year, lol.
Fender, he doesn't seem to have any, and Miehiera just got a bath Friday. I give her a bath every week, so I think that's how I've managed to stave the fleas off her.

Guys, what flea preventative do you recommend that I can use for the dogs, the cats and Miehiera? The last thing I'd want is fleas nestling down in that think fur of hers. @_@

Ugh... we haven't had a flea infestation in forever. This is just the worst timing. I hope I can nip in the bud before it gets terrible. It once got so bad that whenever we were sitting down on the couch or laying in bed were were getting bit.

Can fleas transmit worms? Because that's what I'm really worried about, the animals getting worms from these little demons. I hate fleas so much.
BB

Re: Flea Infestation!

Postby BB » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:52 am

I use Comfortis, and swear by it. It comes in tablet form given once a month. I haven't had fleas for a long time, but just recently my dogs got fleas from the new neighbors dogs. I give mine a tablet and within the next day - no more fleas. I also don't use it regularly, only when they need it.
I've tried other treatments like Advantix and another one I can't remember the name right now, they worked (not as quick as Comfortis but eventually) but over time it seems like fleas have become immune to it.
Juska

Postby Juska » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:22 am

Our old house used to get totally infested with fleas when we first got Max (my mal/aussie mix). We actually had to leave for a day and Raid-bomb the house.

We use a liquid repellant like Advantix, but I can't remember the name of it. The other name brand, I guess. Now we almost never find ticks the entire year on either dog, and maybe a flea or two once in a long while. I believe it comes in doses for cats and dogs. I'm sure Miehiera would be fine with a cat dose or smaller.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the American shorthair
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:23 pm

Comfortus is not okay to give puppies and it causes birth defects and miscarriages in pregnant animals. I would feel kind of weird giving a poison pill. Even though the topicals are poison too and soak in I feel a bit better.(not saying it's bad I just don't feel comfortable).

Frontline is good but yeah it can take a little longer. It kills all the fleas on them and makes it so they are sterile if they try to breed. The thing is when you are so infested you wont see the results. The vast majority of fleas are not on the animal but in the home and yard. There are like 1,000 fleas for every one you see on your animal. So it kills the ones on your animal but a bunch more will jump back on. So it takes awhile to stop seeing fleas.

I just put their monthly dose on my dogs and fleas are gone but they were getting fleas at the end of the month before their dose was due. It does wear off faster than it used to. I was thinking of trying Revolution next time but since it treats heart worms too they should be tested for that. Well actually my vet said were at such low risk she would be willing to give it without but left the decision up to me as officially the answer is yes test first.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:25 pm

Juska wrote:We use a liquid repellant like Advantix.

Advantage. Advatix kills cats. Sometimes even just from being in the same home as a dog that's been treated.

Frontline is commonly used on foxes. Revolution is suggested by a breeder here.
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:38 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:
Juska wrote:We use a liquid repellant like Advantix.

Advantage. Advatix kills cats. Sometimes even just from being in the same home as a dog that's been treated.

Frontline is commonly used on foxes. Revolution is suggested by a breeder here.

Lol, I always get Advantix and Advantage mixed up. It's good to know the difference then. o_o

I believe Frontline is available at our store, so I'll get dressed (I'm soaked from giving baths, Samantha had the worst fleas of the three of them. I went through her fur with a single stroke of the flea brush and picked up about three or four fleas), and get a pack for the cats and Miehiera.
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:36 pm

Well, my dad saw that Frontline is about $50 at the local grocery store.
He wanted me to get online and look for something cheaper or see if Frontline itself would be less if I ordered it online.
My brother who recently had a horrible time with fleas and his cats, which are never allowed outside but still picked up fleas, says the only thing that worked for him was Revolution.

I've already treated the dogs, but I want to get a 3 pack of something to treat Fender, Amber and Miehiera.

Revolution looks awesome; it kills fleas, ticks, and it also takes care of heartworm, roundworm and hookworm. Miehiera is due for another dose of wormer anyway.

It's only $31 if I order it online, which is a bit less than Frontline.

Do you guys think that Revolution will be okay for Miehiera? I know it will be fine for the cats, but I want to make sure that it will be okay for foxes.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:51 pm

Revolution is what we use at the refuge for just about everyone. Wolves, coyotes, etc. We don't have any foxes there anymore though. The last one we had has been rehabbed and released.
I like revolution.
Last edited by sarajeku on Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Juska

Postby Juska » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:56 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Advantage. Advatix kills cats. Sometimes even just from being in the same home as a dog that's been treated.

Yeah. That's why I said we use a repellant like Advantix, I know that's not what it was, I just couldn't remember the name of what we use. We also don't have cats anywhere near us, so we don't really have to worry about that anyway.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the American shorthair
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:01 pm

You need a prescription from the vet for Revolution even online at least on all the sites I looked at.

Unlike frontline and advantage the dose strengths are different in the different sizes sold and not just the amount you give. Like The 15.1-22 lbs size has 60mg of medication in 1ml of solution but the 20.1-40 lbs has 120mg in 1 ml of sultion and other sizes have other amounts in half ML and other amounts. So you can't just buy one for all unless you do the math but it's a bit risky you could mess it up and overdose easy.

There's this I found though if you want to try
Revolution dosage: 6mg/per kg which is 6mg per 2.2lb
A large sized Revolution for dogs (colour Teal) comes in tubes that are 4ml in size and have 240mg per tube which works out to 60mg per ml.

I'm trying to help a woman who is is rescuing a stray cat that seems to be infested with fleas and mites and she thinks it is about 6 or 7 pounds so 20mg should do it which works out to about a third of a ml.
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=147036
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:29 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:You need a prescription from the vet for Revolution even online at least on all the sites I looked at.

Unlike frontline and advantage the dose strengths are different in the different sizes sold and not just the amount you give. Like The 15.1-22 lbs size has 60mg of medication in 1ml of solution but the 20.1-40 lbs has 120mg in 1 ml of sultion and other sizes have other amounts in half ML and other amounts. So you can't just buy one for all unless you do the math but it's a bit risky you could mess it up and overdose easy.

Well, I just ordered it for cats, no prescription, and for cats there is only two different sizes to order, for cats 5.1 - 15 lbs and 15.1-22 lbs. Amber weighs 13 lbs, Fender weighs just barely 14 and Miehiera weighs 10. That is the most recent weight I just took today.

You can read the dosage chart for cats right at the bottom:
https://www.revolution4cats.com/default ... nformation

If you scroll a bit further, you'll find they also tested the safety of the product quite thoroughly - even if I accidently put on a tad too much it shouldn't cause a problem because apparently they
In safety studies, REVOLUTION was applied at 1, 3, 5, and 10 times the recommended dose to six-week-old kittens. No adverse reactions were observed.

Unless perhaps you think that the dog one would be better for Miehiera?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:01 pm

Well if they are all in the same weight range then you wont have to figure anything out so that's good. Using the cat one should be fine. It's usually advised to use cat on foxes since cats are more sensitive than dogs to chemicals they tend to be safest(like the whole advantix thing for dogs killing cats).

Where did you get it? I couldn't find a site that let me order without a prescription once I got to check out but then I was looking for dog.
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:09 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Well if they are all in the same weight range then you wont have to figure anything out so that's good. Using the cat one should be fine. It's usually advised to use cat on foxes since cats are more sensitive than dogs to chemicals they tend to be safest(like the whole advantix thing for dogs killing cats).

Where did you get it? I couldn't find a site that let me order without a prescription once I got to check out but then I was looking for dog.

Alright, thanks.

I ordered it from:
http://www.joespetmeds.com/

But there is also:
http://www.petshed.com/revolution.asp

These are companies based out of Canada and Australia so they do not require a prescription.

My brother got his from the vet first, but it was horrendously expensive and then ordered it online instead.

EDIT:
Apparently there is some sort of Legislation recently passed in either Canada or the US where now some places like petdrugs.com have to have a prescription despite being based out of Canada.
I don't know if this is going to apply to the Australian order I've made and I can't seem to find whatever legislation this is.
I don't know if the importation would be denied, or if we would get in trouble...?
I'm thinking of having the order cancelled because I can't find anything and I don't want to get in trouble for ordering a freakin' flea medication for my cats.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:22 pm

I found a paper on exotics and Revolution use
http://www.jarvm.com/articles/Vol5Iss3/Beck%2087-96.pdf

Though it's more common exotics
Whatsername

Postby Whatsername » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:53 pm

Alynn you won't be in trouble. That doesn't even make sense if anything the company would be in trouble for not warning you but you are just an innocent by stander so don't worry :)

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”