PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Flea Medicine

Health, Medical or behavior problems with all animals.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Neofelis

Flea Medicine

Postby Neofelis » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:18 am

I have to get my cats some flea medicine.... They never once had fleas in Spain, but now we're back in the U.S., we've spotted a couple. Don't want it to get out of hand. I remember some people saying, however, that one brand (I think it's Revolution?) is the same exact formula for dogs as for cats. That way you can buy the big bottle and divide it up. Is it Revolution, or am I getting mixed up?

Also. My rat has mites, does anyone know if the same rule (dividing up) works for rats?
codycatz

Re: Flea Medicine

Postby codycatz » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:01 am

FRONTLINE is the same formula for dogs and cats..it is just a matter of dose. Buying the large dog size and splitting up amongst the cats works well. Only problem is once the applicator is open it evaporates quickly. I try to do everyone within the same day if I can get them.

Fleas and the *&^%$#(*&! ticks are bad the past few years and I have to dose them every three weeks so the cost factor is huge.
amyers

Postby amyers » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:20 pm

Revolution is the same, but you have to be careful since it is 60 mg/ml for the cat dose and 120 mg/ml for the dog. I really can't remember how many mg a domestic cat needs. I THINK it's 30 mg/10 lbs, but you'll probably want to double check.

Advantage and Advantage II are 0.4 cc or mL/10 lbs of body weight. Make sure you don't use Advantix as it is not the same for dogs and cats.

Frontline is the same. It's 0.45 cc or mL/10 lbs of body weight for regular frontline, and 0.36 cc or mL/10 lbs for frontline plus.

EDIT: That's all for cats, I really don't know rat dosages.
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:23 pm

Frontline and advantage are the exact same think just more in the large tubes.

Revolution is the same medicine but different concentrations, not just dog and cat different but between the sizes of dogs. You need math to figure the right mg to give.

Aurora is currently being treated with it as she was loosing her fur. We didn't find any mites but it looks like it just may be working. I'll try and dig up the paper I found on it later. It's very safe stuff. Been used on birds and guinea pigs. It talks about doses in there.

It's super expensive stuff especially at the vet. It was $55 for one 3 dose cat package for her. I'm wondering if I maybe should treat all of them even though the others look fine, since they sleep together they could have but just not be effected and give it back to her. I'll ask the vet. If we do I'll buy it online and dose down the large dog dose.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:09 pm

paper on exotics and Revolution use
http://www.jarvm.com/articles/Vol5Iss3/Beck%2087-96.pdf
Beck10,11 recommends selamectin, 1 drop from a 15-mg pipette(small cat dose 5 pounds or less), for treatment of lice in rats and mice.

Unlike frontline and advantage the dose strengths are different in the different sizes sold and not just the amount you give.
It's got a chart
cats 5lbs or less 15mg dose, 60mg/ml potency, 0.25ml
cats 5.1-15lbs 45mg dose, 60mg/ml potency, 0.75ml
cats 15.1-22lbs 60mg dose, 60mg/ml potency, 1.0ml

dogs 5lbs or less 15mg dose, 60mg/ml potency, 0.25ml
All other dog sizes are 120mg/ml potency at different amounts given.
Dogs 85.1-130lbs 360mg dose, 120mg/ml potency, 3ml

So if you were dosing a 14 pound cat you would need to give .375ml of the large/giant dog revolution. As that would give you the 45mg. You would have to somehow give half a drop to the rat.

Bird info http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedi ... &O=Generic
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:02 pm

In discussing possums and fleas this product came up http://www.critteroil.com/

She's got lots of experience so I trust her and am going to give it a shot. I asked and she said it does also work on mites. I can't bath Aurora till she's done with treatments since the vet said revolution does wash off. I think I would just spray them all anyway instead. I can't imagine keeping my dogs sitting in the tub for 10 minutes much less the anteaters, lol, though I will bath the dogs with it then spray them later.

PS, I am moving this the main heath section and sticky it as flea treatments come up all the time for all sorts of critters.

I've used Frontline for a long time for my domestics, often used on exotics like foxes, but it only seems to ever last 2 weeks any more and I never had any luck with Advantage at all. Plus advantage stings if I get it on my skin.

Revolution seems to work awesome but it is awesomely expensive too.
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:38 pm

Thanks so much.
amyers

Postby amyers » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:27 pm

Info on revolution for rats:
http://www.ratfanclub.org/skin.html

Warning: Some of the pictures are kind of graphic.
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:25 pm

For the rat, http://ratguide.com/health/integumentar ... asites.php
Use Ivermectin HORSE (1.87%) worming paste to treat mites and lice in rats. It is cheap stuff (I think I paid like $6 for a tube at a farm supply sort of store). Might want to get a flavored variety - some will lick it right off your finger that way. I don't know if it says on that linked page how much to give, but I have read you give a glob the size of a grain of rice I believe once a week for like 3 weeks...don't quote me on it, though. Best look into it just in case.

The Rat Guide is absolutely wonderful, written by veterinarians I believe.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:53 pm

Yes look into dose more. Overdoses of ivermectin can cause blindness but it does take a lot to over dose. Horse stuff is really concentrated.

Here's a little better guide I think if your going to use it. http://ratguide.com/meds/anti-infectives/ivermectin.php

Revolution(selmectin) is a next generation sort of ivermectin. Works better and is safer but yes much more expensive. I don't think regular ivermectin works on fleas either but I'm not positive.
amyers

Postby amyers » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:51 pm

Regular ivermectin does everything but fleas. I wish it did do fleas since all of mine get a monthly dose for heart worm. If you're going to use it make sure you double check the dosage you're going to use and the concentration. They also sell a 1% injectable and the 1.87%.
blacksagephoenix

Postby blacksagephoenix » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:34 pm

Anyone know what topical would be safe for a fennec? I have Advantage II for Small Cats (5-9 lbs). Would that be safe with just a small amount?
*~*~*~*~* Chell *~*~*~*~*

Mother of one daughter, one dog, two cats, one fennec fox, three hedgehogs, two short tailed opossums, three sugar gliders, three velveteen rabbits, one bearded dragon, one tortoise, twelve ball pythons, and several rats.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:17 pm

Generally if it's safe for cats it should be safe for an exotic mammal. People have used regular advantage and frontline/frontline plus on fennecs just fine.

Don't ever use advantix or over the counter things.
blacksagephoenix

Postby blacksagephoenix » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:39 pm

Thanks!
*~*~*~*~* Chell *~*~*~*~*

Mother of one daughter, one dog, two cats, one fennec fox, three hedgehogs, two short tailed opossums, three sugar gliders, three velveteen rabbits, one bearded dragon, one tortoise, twelve ball pythons, and several rats.
FoxyAspen

Postby FoxyAspen » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:27 am

I have a red fox and raccoon and I'm curious if they need to be wormed and treated for fleas like dogs?

Return to “HEALTH/MEDICAL/BEHAVIOR”