What some members here don't know.

Questions/Suggestions/Comments

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

What some members here don't know.

Postby pat » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:12 am

This message exclude excludes the the Administrators.

1. My goal for this message board was to help others learn more about animals.
2. this message board cost me money to run. I pay for the domain names and the server space.
3. I have more than one domain name for Sybils den. The only reason for that is, so no one snags up a similar domain name and puts a bunch of BS on it.

I do understand most people like FB. But, please keep in mind, you won't always get the correct information there..
I have seen it as did others. Of course there is some good info there.

the other issue, is I completely understand when the summer months are here, people have outside work to do, or vacations ect,

I created this message board in 2003. I have to take my time out to do the up grades on it.(which needs done again) I am having a hard time finding the time to do it. I am also upset about Lucy (my beagle) I love this dog. we are so very bonded. She is only 7 years old.
She has diabetics (which I just recently found out) I have to wonder why the vets didn't tell me this in the first place. she was at the vets almost every week for blood tests. ($100.00 or more a visit :roll: ) I looked into pet insurance. but, they raised their prices a lot. it is over $300.00 a month :roll: I am on the verge of having my electric shut off. so if no one hears from me, that is the reason. icon-sad

If any members here finds this board useless, let me know, I will not get mad or offended.
the only thing I can say is, I try hard to help others, as does other members.

One last note, creating this message board was my dream, only to help others. All can say is I hope I did help some of the members.
I have years of experience with many different animals. (Black bears, llama, donkey, crazy steers LOL) , raccoons, foxes, peacocks, chickens, turkeys. rheas (males are nasty) The great administrators also have experience with other types of animals.

iwhen I got Sybil(my first bear) She was very hard to raise. the breeder pulled her from momma the day of the sale.
It took me six months to get her tame. After working with her, the other animals I got were a breeze. :lol: My 2nd bear sadly died in 2015.
he was a pet quaility.

Please don't find this message offensive, That is NOT my intention. I only wanted to explain what I go through.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
hecate
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What some members here don't know.

Postby hecate » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:36 pm

I found this message board almost five years ago when I needed information about raising orphaned bobcat kittens. Without this board, Scully wouldn't be the happy, healthy cat she is today.

This forum is far more valuable than a Facebook group. The accumulated years of experience here is truly irreplaceable. We all owe Pat a huge debt of gratitude for setting it up and keeping it going.

It's an honor to be able to help keep the lights on. Thank you, Pat.

(Scully thanks you, too.)
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:30 am

hecate wrote:I found this message board almost five years ago when I needed information about raising orphaned bobcat kittens. Without this board, Scully wouldn't be the happy, healthy cat she is today.

This forum is far more valuable than a Facebook group. The accumulated years of experience here is truly irreplaceable. We all owe Pat a huge debt of gratitude for setting it up and keeping it going.

It's an honor to be able to help keep the lights on. Thank you, Pat.

(Scully thanks you, too.)

Scully is beautiful. He looks very happy.
I thank you again for your support. also for sharing information about Scully and thank Scully too. icon-smile

thank you so much hecate. You made my day.
Also, happy you found info valuable. I too learned about the different type of animals.

Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:34 pm

Been here since 2008, don't intend to leave any time soon though I do not currently own any exotics. I believe I originally found this board when I was interested in skunks.

I think my current main role here is to repost dog food recalls, haha. But I try to help in any way I can. I think this board is full to the brim with good info on a lot of pet species. It would be a huge loss if it ever went down with no archive.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the American shorthair
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:33 pm

Juska wrote:Been here since 2008, don't intend to leave any time soon though I do not currently own any exotics. I believe I originally found this board when I was interested in skunks.

I think my current main role here is to repost dog food recalls, haha. But I try to help in any way I can. I think this board is full to the brim with good info on a lot of pet species. It would be a huge loss if it ever went down with no archive.

Thank you Juska. You made my day too. Sometimes I feel as though some members don't or new members don't care or believe the good and honest info here. I really appreciate you taking your time to post the recalls on dog foods. I read it all the time.
I had your link at the top of the board. I removed everything, but, I will put your link back on there.
I am just upset over my dog, and a boat load of other work to do icon-sad. Lucy is going to the vet today. she will need insulin icon-sad

I am so paranoid now about using dog foods anymore.
Again, thank you for your research. I hope other members or non members read your info on dog foods.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:43 pm

There are a lot of people who read and just don't post, unfortunately, but at least they get the info that way.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:32 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:There are a lot of people who read and just don't post, unfortunately, but at least they get the info that way.

that's is good to know. I just hope our info helped some people.

When I update this board (if I can ever get around to it) I will see about adding something like "thank you" to a button :shrug:

Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:07 am

A "thank you" or a "like"/"thumbs up" button would be a good way to see what people are coming here for, and looking for information on.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the American shorthair
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:36 pm

The thanks/like you button probably only works if you are logged into the board. I've heard from people on FB that they come to look at info but don't login. I do think it will help though because a lot of times a person might like or appreciate something but really not have anything to add or not feel up to typing something out and people posting will feel better seeing some acknowledgment, even if it's just a click. Hopefully it doesn't also encourage people to type actual replies less but encourage those who already don't to at least click something.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:21 pm

Pat, I've loved Sybil's ever since I found it. Before I owned a fox, it was recommended to read through every single fox post that was on here, and I DID, lol. Every single one (that's a lot, btw). The info gathered here is immense and invaluable. The board has gone through its ups and downs, drama, etc, but it's still here, and that's what counts. And many do still use it as a source of information--they just aren't necessarily members. Lots of lurkers and people who need specific advice will find a topic on here that they can read through and learn from. FB is a great tool, but I do not like that it doesn't archive nicely. A forum like this performs that function better than FB ever could. Honestly, I wish all the FB people would just come here so we can all keep a collection of our experiences.

Keep doing what you do. <3 We love and appreciate you and all the hard work you've put into making Sybil's Den what it is.
I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:41 pm

Very helpful forum! I've loved animals since I was a kid and am now going to college to study them, including their care in captivity, so the information here is really useful. One of my interests is understanding the care, health and genetics of "exotic" animals. I especially love foxes, but I can't help but love all different kinds of animals.
I've always preferred forums over facebook for real conversations. I'm only on facebook because its a good way to keep up with the shelters and rescues in my area. : )
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:37 am

Juska wrote:A "thank you" or a "like"/"thumbs up" button would be a good way to see what people are coming here for, and looking for information on.

that is my plan when I update this board. I think there is add on for that. There is a lot of different addons I can use. I just can't get the time to update this board. it takes awhile, I have to be clear headed when I do it.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:42 am

TamanduaGirl wrote:The thanks/like you button probably only works if you are logged into the board. I've heard from people on FB that they come to look at info but don't login. I do think it will help though because a lot of times a person might like or appreciate something but really not have anything to add or not feel up to typing something out and people posting will feel better seeing some acknowledgment, even if it's just a click. Hopefully it doesn't also encourage people to type actual replies less but encourage those who already don't to at least click something.

I believe you are correct on the "thank you button" At least people that are not members can read the info. I just hope most believe the good info we have here. A big THANK YOU for all the admins and members here that post good information.

Once I get through some of my horrible paper work, I will update the board. once I do, I will again add it to all the search engines.
I also need to update sybilsden (the main website)

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:48 am

Ash wrote:Pat, I've loved Sybil's ever since I found it. Before I owned a fox, it was recommended to read through every single fox post that was on here, and I DID, lol. Every single one (that's a lot, btw). The info gathered here is immense and invaluable. The board has gone through its ups and downs, drama, etc, but it's still here, and that's what counts. And many do still use it as a source of information--they just aren't necessarily members. Lots of lurkers and people who need specific advice will find a topic on here that they can read through and learn from. FB is a great tool, but I do not like that it doesn't archive nicely. A forum like this performs that function better than FB ever could. Honestly, I wish all the FB people would just come here so we can all keep a collection of our experiences.

Keep doing what you do. <3 We love and appreciate you and all the hard work you've put into making Sybil's Den what it is.

Thank you Ash for your kind words. I do not like FB. I do use it, mostly to explain some of my experience. I do have people posting off animal topic.
I try and get people to join this message board. Personally, this message board is easier to find information than on FB.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:50 am

GitaBooks wrote:Very helpful forum! I've loved animals since I was a kid and am now going to college to study them, including their care in captivity, so the information here is really useful. One of my interests is understanding the care, health and genetics of "exotic" animals. I especially love foxes, but I can't help but love all different kinds of animals.
I've always preferred forums over facebook for real conversations. I'm only on facebook because its a good way to keep up with the shelters and rescues in my area. : )

thank you GitaBooks for your kind words. I too prefer forum vs FB.
us animal lovers need to stick together. icon-smile

Return to “MESSAGE BOARD ISSUES”