Dog Food Recalls: viewforum.php?f=67

Ways to prevent foxes from marking territory?

Topics include: Tricks, litter, toys, aggression, personality, walks, etc

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

TreeViking

Ways to prevent foxes from marking territory?

Postby TreeViking » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:15 am

I’ve been considering a fox for some time now but I want all the info in my arsenal that I can get. I’d love to give him/her free reign over my home most of the time, so for those of you who have that living situation, how do you prevent your fox from marking in your home? Is it something you have to just deter or can you train it not to? I know you probably can’t totally prevent it but I was wondering if any of you had any methods or luck with something. Thank you!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ways to prevent foxes from marking territory?

Postby pat » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:42 am

most foxes will mark. it is difficult to stop them. my oldest male would mark when he was in the house, but, I had to keep an eye out when he is ready. when I seen him starting, I yelled at him. he would then stop.

However, I highly recommend an outdoor enclosure. You don't have to keep a fox outdoor 24/7. but, foxes do prefer being outside.
If you are considering an outdoor enclosure, I will give you some ideas, as will the the fox members here.

keep in mind, a fox's urine smells almost as bad a skunk. I litter trained mine. however, they are not 100% trained.
I use the cement mixing pans for their litter. it is best to keep a larger pan for litter.

as for the odor, vinegar and dish soap will help cut the odor. I use that when I clean their litter pans.

there is a lot to be said about owning a fox. feel free to ask any questions.

please make sure you completely understand a fox's behavior. we are here to help.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ways to prevent foxes from marking territory?

Postby Ash » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:01 pm

Marking is part of a fox's instinctive nature. There is no way to stop a fox from marking, unfortunately. The people you see who keep foxes indoors--I don't know how they put up with the destruction and the stench.
I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!

Return to “Training, Behavior & Enrichment”