Ifrit's Eating Habits?

Topics include: Tricks, litter, toys, aggression, personality, walks, etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ifrit's Eating Habits?

Postby Ash » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:15 am

I've mentioned recently that Ifrit eats almost everything. As I told Pat, her motto is "Eat first, ask questions later." When I started putting a list together, it kind of started getting me a bit worried, so I thought I'd post some of my observations here and wait for comments. Hopefully this will help others to be more cautious with what their foxes get to have. Fable never had these problems, but she sure does.

It concerns me a little that she eats everything she sees. When she was younger, I would often find worrying stuff in her feces. I've learned better now though what she can and can't have.

I can't give her ANYTHING cloth anymore. She'll just eat it. When I gave her a towel, she would tear off pieces and eat them. When she had cloth toys, she'd eat them too.

She chewed off her harness last week, and I found a part of one of the bands in her waste... that one really worried me since it was 1 and 1/2 inches long...

The harness was the last bad thing she's eaten for a long time--if you discount the piece of the flystrip from last week, but I guess I don't really even know if she did or didn't eat some of it. I assumed the worst, but maybe she didn't eat it. I thought I had found some of the flystrip in her feces at first, but I realized later it was cardboard from a paper towel roll--she eats cardboard. :roll:

She also eats wood. I've always assumed that wood is digestible. She eats bark mostly, and some of the charred stuff on the burnt stump. Today she was chewing on the shelf and eating the little shavings she broke off, as well as licking up some saw dust from a project.

She also likes to taste-test the litter in the litter box whenever I change it. Just a few bites before she realizes it isn't meant to be eaten. She usually spits most of it all back out though, so that doesn't worry me too much. Plus it's non-clumping.

Man, reading through this makes me sound like I'm so careless... I swear, I'm not. I try really hard to keep everything out of her reach, but sometimes... I just can't predict EVERY little thing. After all, Fable always loved dragging around and playing with his towels and blankets. But Ifrit eats hers.

There was one point when I thought she was eating rocks. She'd pick them up and chew on them, but I don't think she swallowed any ever.

There is NO way this one would have survived in the wild...
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
dragonking

Re: Ifrit's Eating Habits?

Postby dragonking » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:58 am

My parents have a dog that would eat blankets. He would even drag a blanket around with him so he could lay on it while eating it. He would also chew on his claws to trim them. Don't think he's done it in a while though.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:57 am

wow, never had a fox that would eat anything but food.

hopefully, ifrit will outgrow that.
can you try giving her some raw hide bones, beef soup bones, pigs feet or some other type of dog treats that they she can chew on? maybe try a couple small ones and scatter them or hide them a little.
maybe try spraying some of the stuff she chews with vinegar or something that will have a real bad taste.
she might like the vinegar though :lol:

the only animal I have that would eat anything is my donkeys. cardboard is their favorite :roll:
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:59 am

While dogs and foxes aren't really the same, it may be the same case as one of my family's puppies. When we first got her back in 2009, she was cute as a button but ate our house (literally). She chewed through drywall, door frames, the insulation on the garage door, plastic bottles, cabinets... basically anything she could get her mouth on. After we thought she was out of the chewing stage, we replaced everything and repainted the spots where she had only done surface damage.

Wrong! :roll: Apparently she didn't like the new decor and did it all over again at around 1.5 years old (for a Leonberger, that's still young/teenagerish). Now that she's 5 years old, she doesn't chew on very much but bone treats and our other dog. :lol:

Life with animals. Sigh! I hope Ifrit grows out of it. But who knows, she is a fox! :lol:
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
lavenderlilac

Postby lavenderlilac » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:49 pm

Ash, you are describing my Lucy! The towels I used to give her, looked like swiss cheese. When I see the photos of people’s fox enclosures with lovely beds and plush toys, I am so exasperated because she rips up these things and eats them, so she can’t have them.

But the worst thing with Lucy is that she has what the vet thinks is IBD and if she swallows ANYTHING, even as small as a pea, she gets horrible bloody, mucousy diarrhea. She even chews pieces off of the supposedly indestructible Kong toys, so she can’t have those either.

I even wrote a post a couple of years ago about how Lucy had ruined a couple of her harnesses when I forgot to remove them and she chewed them off.

You said Ifrit eats his litter. Lucy eats her litterboxes! I’ve gone from kitty litterboxes to the cement mixing tubs and now she has this heavy duty oval tank ( http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/t ... ank-40-gal ) She started chewing the edges of it so I put bitter apple on it hoping that would discourage her.

Any of her perches have to be steel or pvc because she would eat wood. She used to love those braided rope dog toys but she would pull off and eat the strings and then get diarrhea again.

In the beginning, I made multiple trips to the vet (about the diarrhea) and every time, they did blood tests and worm tests. They were always negative. After about the sixth time she guessed it may be IBD and since then, I just really have to try to manage EVERYTHING she eats or can chew.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:21 pm

Okay, I'm not so worried now. :lol: Just have to be extra careful, I guess!

Life with animals. Sigh!

^^I hear ya there! Loud and clear, lol.

Lavender, Lucy sounds just like my Ifrit in that regard, haha. She chews up her litterboxes until the corners are rounded. When I gave her the rope toys, she would chew those up and I'd find rainbow strings in her feces. :roll:

I thought when I was getting a vixen I'd wind up with something majestic, regal, and aloof. Nope. I get a vixen that's just dumb and goofy. :lol: Wouldn't trade her for anything though. Maybe I'll "luck out" next time I get a vixen and wind up with a proper little lady fox. Too much to hope for, right? ;P

Pat, the chews are a really good idea. And Fable likes them too. I haven't bought some for quite some time, but I think that might help.

Oh, and she's slowly been chewing around the rubbery stuff that suctions the door. So now when it's closed, she can sort of peer out. The door is metal though (pretty sure), so at least I know she can't eat that!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
the_randomizer

Postby the_randomizer » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:31 pm

I love your foxes, Fable is calm and laid back, but still hyper at times and he's a doll :mrgreen: Whereas with Ifrit, she's a real derp but sweet and hyper all the same, Fable seems to love my mom a lot too, given that he tried to groom her :lol: Glad they're getting along fine!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:43 am

Oh dear... :roll: So, I bought some pig ears and a bone for her.

I gave her and Fable each a pig ear this afternoon.

When I came back tonight, Ifrit's was GONE. :shock: And half of Fable's was gone too, and she was eating it while I was out there.

She ate the whole thing, including half of Fable's in such a short amount of time. How long is a pig ear SUPPOSED to keep an animal occupied for?? Fable NEVER went through his so fast!

I'll probably have better luck with the bone since it's thick and heavy. It's a pig or cow leg--don't remember which. That SHOULD last a long time, but we'll see. I'll give her that one tomorrow, because I'm sure the rest of Fable's pig ear will be gone before the night is over.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:19 am

Pig ears never last here if they eat them most of the time when I got them they turn their nose up. They are fatty.

The cows ears are liked much better and last a bit longer but they are more chewy treats still than meant to last.

Get antler. Those last.

Bully sticks are good. Depends on the type of bully stick if they last. The ones at the farm store last a long time but I buy some online that they go through pretty fast. The fast ones don't cause blockages in Hyzzie when she swallows an end like the farm ones did. Hyzzie has a delicate system.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:48 am

TamanduaGirl wrote:Pig ears never last here if they eat them most of the time when I got them they turn their nose up. They are fatty.

The cows ears are liked much better and last a bit longer but they are more chewy treats still than meant to last.

Get antler. Those last.

Bully sticks are good. Depends on the type of bully stick if they last. The ones at the farm store last a long time but I buy some online that they go through pretty fast. The fast ones don't cause blockages in Hyzzie when she swallows an end like the farm ones did. Hyzzie has a delicate system.

Thank-you. I definitely want antlers. I'm going to ask my uncles when they go hunting this year if I can have some. Or maybe I'll just buy some online.

I'll check out the bully sticks. I got those for Fable a few years back, and he liked them.

Good to know the pig ears don't typically last long. I had thought they were a chew that would stick around for a while, lol.
dragonking

Postby dragonking » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:29 am

You don't even have to go hunting to get the antlers. Since they drop them, going out and just picking them up can get a lot of them.
KattAndTheHat

Postby KattAndTheHat » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:14 pm

This thread was extremely helpful!! Akane is the same way, she literally eats the walls of her bedroom(at least until I took off the crown molding), and will even try and eat rocks >.< glad to know I'm not the only one with a fox with an appetite for anything.
Hopefully it works out with your little girl, she's so precious <3
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:30 pm

KattAndTheHat wrote:This thread was extremely helpful!! Akane is the same way, she literally eats the walls of her bedroom(at least until I took off the crown molding), and will even try and eat rocks >.< glad to know I'm not the only one with a fox with an appetite for anything.
Hopefully it works out with your little girl, she's so precious <3

Yay! Another person who can empathize! :lol: Akane sounds like quite a character herself.
autumn blitz

Postby autumn blitz » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:41 pm

just read this and it's totally barking :) in a good way although expensive for all the owners :)

i've had and trained collies for over 30years and have never had to replace so much as a dog toy :) i got boxes of them if you want i can send you some well used but still in tact collie toys ;)
no point blaming the dog cos you tukd up ;)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:30 pm

Ifrit loves her bone chew. :) She went crazy when I first gave it to her. And guess what? It's still around!

Return to “Training, Behavior & Enrichment”