ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Need toy ideas

Topics include: Tricks, litter, toys, aggression, personality, walks, etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Whisper

Need toy ideas

Postby Whisper » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:46 pm

I've tried a rope toys, but he looses interest in like 3 minutes. I got him a play and squeak toy too, but he just carries it around until he looses interest (30sec at the most)
He got his leash some how, and ripped it into three sections.
So, if anybody has good ideas, I need them.
Do you think he could wreck this?:
http://www.petsmart.com/dog/toys/toys-r ... tid-100118

Thanks icon-smile
Owner of a Red fox, magpie harlequin, and a Netherland dwarf
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Need toy ideas

Postby Ash » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:11 pm

Enrichment is one of the hardest things to come up with when it comes to foxes! You have to start being very creative. My foxes like it when I put treats in cardboard boxes for them to tear up and find. I think a treat dispenser would be a good idea. Hopefully the plastic would be hard enough for his teeth. If it's a strong plastic, it should be fine. :)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:39 pm

I made him a "tetherball" by tying a tennis ball to a pole, and cutting it so when he bites it treats fall out(:
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:42 pm

Whisper wrote:I made him a "tetherball" by tying a tennis ball to a pole, and cutting it so when he bites it treats fall out(:

That's clever. I'll have to do that!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TooManyPets

Postby TooManyPets » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:20 am

Whisper wrote:I made him a "tetherball" by tying a tennis ball to a pole, and cutting it so when he bites it treats fall out(:

I may steal this.

My male loves squeaky toys but only certain ones. Iv found it best to give em a bunch and let him pick. What he doesn't like, my dogs take. My girl is far more lazy prefering to steal socks or the toys her brother has. For her, food in empty 12 pack soda boxes is the way to go. Each fox is different and way more so IMO than dogs typically are. Try a few toys. Maybe he likes squeaky toys but the ones your offering are too hard or maybe too soft.

Rope toys, I have had no luck with. Only one he likes was a half rope, half plastic bone I got him as a 5 week old kit. Im sure that will get tossed to the side soon enough but for now it works.
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:32 pm

Right now i have this one from amazon he really likes, its a ball with spaces, like you cut the rubber out every inch, and it has bristles in each spaces. He loves it. but im pretty sure they changed the product, cause now it just looks like a plastic blue ball in the pictures.
I also set up a dog run for him, its like 50ft long. And i just gave him a plastic tub to jump on. He carries his bones and toys onto to and just lays down and chews them. I got him a heavy duty squeaky toy, and that lasted 3 days...
Havoc&Stark

Postby Havoc&Stark » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:22 pm

My two boys absolutely LOVE the different kong toys. The classic kong toy is great if you fill it with all sorts of treats and fill the gaps with chicken broth and freeze it, that keeps them busy for a while. The kong wobble is also a lot of fun! They are tough enough to last a little while even with two little monsters chewing on it.

And this may sound strange but car tires are awesome too! If you go to a tire store like Big O tires they have old tires which have been thrown out and if you ask they will give you for free. I hide food inside of them to encourage foraging. I also stack multiple tires on top of each other and my boys just hop in and out of them all day! Just make sure that they are cleaned well before you give them to your fox.
Proud mommy to 1 Fox, 2 Standard Poodles, 1 Aussie, 2 Leopard Gecko, 1 White's Tree Frog, 1 Pygmy Goat, 1 F1 Savannah Cat
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:38 pm

Great ideas! Mine has a kong classic right now, and a bone. He tries to cash it, and every day there will be a new lump in a different part, where he buried it, (:
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:25 pm

Short list to help spark ideas:
Bowling pins, antlers, snake sheds (can be autoclaved), clean plastic jugs and bottles from nontoxic products and food. Whole produce items such as large zucchinis and cantaloupes, paper-mache creations, balls in a variety of materials and sizes including ones large/heavy enough that they must be pushed with the body, traffic cones. Any suitable dog toy.

Whole wing from a chicken, pheasant, etc. Frozen rabbit pelt. Stuff a mostly intact eggshell with canned dog food or other filling.

Make a self grooming station using a push broom, scrub or horse brush(es)

Foraging/treat toys-infinite variations.

Scents-Too many to list, different perfumes, hunting lures, herbs and spices, condiments (mustard, etc.), arthritis/menthol rubs placed so no direct contact. Be sure anything that can be directly contacted is safe.

Place a pile of leaves, or a 'wild' log in the enclosure. Dig up a patch of sod. If you or someone you know has healthy barn bunnies and use straw bedding, get some of the used straw for a pile.

It should be common sense but I'll add a disclaimer. Know your pet and it's a good idea to supervise the first time you offer an item. Some items can be left in pen and others require supervision. What's safe for one fox/animal isn't always safe for another individual.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Aeroz

Postby Aeroz » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:41 pm

Alot of toys Natasha just steals rather than plays with. She loves cloth toys but obviously they dont last too long. We found some soft squeaky toys made out of tough fabric (not sure what it is but it reminds me of denim). She also likes squeaky balls but specifically because she enjoys tossing them from high places and chasing them.

What she loved the most, but requires you to actively play with her, is one of those dangling cat toys. She with chase after that all day, in fact she enjoyed it so much I had to hide it because once we were done playing she'd be trying to get it still.

Return to “Training, Behavior & Enrichment”