https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

October Crazies/ Behavioural Changes

Topics include: Tricks, litter, toys, aggression, personality, walks, etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Jess2569

October Crazies/ Behavioural Changes

Postby Jess2569 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:58 am

Hi all icon-smile

Been a while since I have posted on the group! Nala & Zara are doing great, they are so much fun to be around and we have even managed to train them to sit! They are both around 8 months old now, and Zara has recently started to become a bit temperamental. She seems shy, skittish and not as affectionate as before. She has snapped at Nala a few times when Nala has tried to play with her, she just seems to want to be left alone. She has also become very shy around my partner.

I have been reading a lot about the October Crazies. I realize that this isn’t really a ‘thing’ and more of a term used to describe behavioral changes at this stage of a foxes life.

I was wondering if the above sounds like a reason as to why she’s been acting like this? Does anyone have any advice as to how we should manage her during this phase?

Thanks in advance, greatly appreciated as always! :thank:
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: October Crazies/ Behavioural Changes

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:06 pm

No. The "October crazzies" is a red fox thing, even though not a real thing. Fennec have different time lines for growth development and breeding seasons. They can even have more than one breeding season. When were they born?

Is she as active as before? Eating as much? It might not be a bad idea to get her a check up just to be safe as what you describe can also be early signs of a health issue, skittish, shy snapping and wanting to be left alone. An animal that knows it's not up to par will be more skittish and shy because they know they are an easy target for bigger predators and competition, if she is not feeling well or is in pan she is more likely to snap when another is bugging her or snap when they do something to trigger the pain.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: October Crazies/ Behavioural Changes

Postby Ash » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:14 pm

Might also be she's growing up. I've heard that fennecs are more affectionate as babies and can become stand-offish once grown. Kind of like any exotic, I guess.

Hope you can get her to come around and nothing's wrong. She might just be coming into her personality and be more naturally flighty.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula

Return to “Training, Behavior & Enrichment”