https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Toys / Structure Ideas?

Topics include: Tricks, litter, toys, aggression, personality, walks, etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Sammy

Toys / Structure Ideas?

Postby Sammy » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:40 pm

Hello, all!

What are some ideas that you've got for great toys and structures for the enclosures? I've currently got a couple of KONG toys and some stuffed animals; in the enclosure, we have shelves, boxes, and tires. But what are your ideas to make the enclosures more fun and enriching? And what are your foxes' favorite toys?

I was thinking about putting in some ramps and more shelving, maybe a tunnel of some sort as well... But what sort of things will make life more fun out there?
Whisper

Re: Toys / Structure Ideas?

Postby Whisper » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:38 pm

Zorrs used to be a "forever ball" but he ruined it and the product was discontinued. Now i have a bone and a kong toy for him, along with a piece of fleece. The fleece is by far his favorite, and he runs around shaking it like a dog and pouncing on it.
Owner of a Red fox, magpie harlequin, and a Netherland dwarf
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:29 pm

I also made a little fox burrow for him by taking a bin, spraying the inside with foam for insulation, and than putting another bin inside it, so its like bin foam bin. Then i cut a door, put the lid on, and tada a fox box!
The other thing i did was a fox tether ball, where i took a tennis ball and cut it so when he bit it, a slot opened and treats would fall out. Then i tied it to a string on a pole, and played with him.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:22 am

Aw, this question, lol. This is the question we're ALL always asking ourselves! :lol: How to keep up with the enrichment.

Two words of advice: be creative. I know it doesn't seem like helpful advice, but what we have to do is share our ideas with each other. I used to hang paper towel rolls at different heights from the ceiling, and inside the paper towel rolls were treats. I would put some in places that I KNEW were too high for them to reach, but it keeps a fox entertained!

Halloween is coming up. One thing a lot of people do is they carve pumpkins and then put their animals' food inside and close the lid. It can take them a while to figure out how to get out the food--and they'll scratch at the openings in the pumpkin or chew through it to get to the good stuff.

Also for Christmas, my foxes LOVE Christmas tree boughs. We have to clip off some of the branches anyway, and the foxes absolutely love them. This year, I want to give them a whole tree (after Christmas). The smell of a fresh pine tree like that is very enriching for them, and they'll have a great time checking it out.

Anything and everything cardboard is great. If I have an empty cereal box, I save it to use for fox enrichment.

Oh, also live bugs. :) They may catch them too fast though, lol. But they'll love it while it lasts.

I can't really give my foxes conventional dog toys anymore since Ifrit will eat parts of them. So it gets hard coming up with stuff... Fortunately, I can steal everybody else's ideas her and use them for my foxes, heehee. ;)

More enclosure furniture is also great. My foxes love their "high rise" and are going to get a miniature high rise and ramp before winter this year. They love having stuff to jump on. I remember Fable used to go crazy with joy whenever I would rearrange his stuff. He'd be sniffing all over for hours after I rearranged it. So something as simple as that helps.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:06 am

I stuck zorrs food in a paper towel tube last night, and he was racing around, thinking he was so cool d: im sure it didnt last long, but it was fun while it did...

Return to “Training, Behavior & Enrichment”