PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

What is this sound

Topics include: Tricks, litter, toys, aggression, personality, walks, etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Aeroz

What is this sound

Postby Aeroz » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:56 am

I finally manage to record it, though its not very good or even a great example. She tends to make this sound late at night when alone, usually a very clear 3/4 syllable sound

https://youtu.be/tP67R0EQsbY

Any idea what it means?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What is this sound

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:44 am

It's a contact call.
Aeroz

Postby Aeroz » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:19 pm

then what does she want? She was doing it almost constantly last night making it very hard to sleep
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:26 pm

She wants attention. Though this time of year she may also be doing it more due to breeding season.
Aeroz

Postby Aeroz » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:34 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:She wants attention. Though this time of year she may also be doing it more due to breeding season.

I hope its not because of breeding season because then it might be too late to get her fixed

Is there anything to do to discourage this? It just keeps waking me up. I try to give her some attention but the moment I'm not actively occupying her she starts again. I tried toys too but similar results. Its why I'm not so sure its for attention because of how sudden and consistent it is. She seems to stop because she's being occupied rather than because she got attention.

I mean she can easily get to me, unless she is really insistent I come to her.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:40 am

Foxes are noisy, so it will most likely be something you'll have to put up with. The only thing I can suggest is more enrichment in the meantime to try to keep her occupied... but it's going to be hard to come up with a bunch. My friend down the road says her foxes will sometimes keep her awake during this time of year.

So it's just something they do... I was lucky that Fable is a silent fox. Ifrit is a lot more vocal and squeaky, but fortunately she doesn't call a bunch.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:40 pm

Fixing doesn't make much of a difference does it? i doubt there is anything you can do besides trying to find something to entertain her, maybe peanut butter in a Kong toy, or a treat dispenser?
Owner of a Red fox, magpie harlequin, and a Netherland dwarf
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:43 am

Whisper--Yeah, you're right. Fixing doesn't change the behavior much in red foxes.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas

Return to “Training, Behavior & Enrichment”