PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

What happens when you cant trade up?

Topics include: Tricks, litter, toys, aggression, personality, walks, etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Aeroz

What happens when you cant trade up?

Postby Aeroz » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:39 am

A problem we often have is she gets very defensive when she has something she really likes (slippers in my case). To the point if you come near her she will attack you to protect it. Of course I cant trade up to get her away because she'd rather have the slipper she stole than any toy I could offer. Worst part is she views my bed as her den. So she's trying to get me away from my own bed. Its a real issue sometimes at night
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What happens when you cant trade up?

Postby pat » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:57 am

if you keep your fox in your house 24/7. expect worse problems.
the best thing you can do is to keep your positions up somewhere so she can't get to them.

she needs her own space. foxes love the outdoors.

there was a member here awhile ago, that keep his fox in the house 24/7. got to the point
where the fox nested in his bed mattress. tore the mattress up really bad.
foxes can be very destructive when in the house 24/7.

if the trade off didn't work, try something different for a trade. maybe a treat, or a kong with treats.

basically, she just needs her own space, a outdoor enclosure would be the best.
to be honest, in 14 years I raised 4 foxes. they have indoor and outdoor access. I never had any bad destruction,
or aggression. it just revolves around how they are raised and a good understanding of a foxe's behavior.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:25 am

Try treats. Or do something unexpected, like suddenly run away. That always makes my foxes super curious, and usually they'll chase me.

I agree with Pat. I can never remember if you have an outdoor enclosure or not, lol (very bad at remembering these things!), but if not, that would solve this issue.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Aeroz

Postby Aeroz » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:04 am

I'm getting her chipped today, wanted that done before I started letting her out. Still abit concerned about something like an enclosure. The neighbors have called the police multiple times about our dog being outside. Usually claims like him being in their yard or something along those lines.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:34 am

You can't just let her out without an enclosure.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:17 am

Aeroz wrote:I'm getting her chipped today, wanted that done before I started letting her out. Still abit concerned about something like an enclosure. The neighbors have called the police multiple times about our dog being outside. Usually claims like him being in their yard or something along those lines.

What do you mean by letting her out? If she doesn't have an enclosure, and your dog can escape the yard, there's no way she can be outside! A fox should never be unsupervised outdoors unless in a secure enclosure, and when you DO take her outside, she must be on a leash (if you can even get a leash on her).

Are you getting her chipped because you think there's a real possibility she's going to get out of your yard? If that's the reason, then don't let her out at all.

I'm really confused by your setup and what you're envisioning. Maybe TamanduaGirl and I are taking your words wrong or something? :shrug:

If you don't want the enclosure outdoors, you can at least build one in your garage. I kept my foxes in the garage for a while (one of them for about 4 years). It was a pain to clean up after them and it sure stunk. But they had their own space with plenty of things to do, and they were happy. They could pee wherever they wanted without being punished for it. Your fox needs a place like that, a place where she can do whatever she wants.

What do you keep her in when no one is there to supervise her? Does she have a crate?
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:28 am

And actually if the neighbor see's your dog out and calls in even if it's only in your own yard and he is making it up, he'll see the fox out loose and do the same right? But if it's in an enclosure when out he can't do that since when they come to check it's in a secure enclosure so makes him obviously lying but if loose just in the yard there's a great chance of belief he isn't lying, plus there would be a greater chance he'd actually not be lying because foxes can jump right over fences, dig out etc. Enclosures for foxes save lives and make them happier and easier to live with.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:06 am

I agree with everyones reply here. by letting your fox run free (if that is your intentions) it is a death sentence for your fox.
once they escape, they are pretty hard to find and catch. not sure how good a chip will be anyway. doubtful anyone will pick the fox up to find out. catching a fox that is loose if very hard.

my first fox I had a long time ago, did manage to escape, she did it a couple times before when young. but, the last time she escaped, she bolted. it turned out someone killed her and has her in his trophy room.

my oldest fox did escape once, he travel about a mile from me. fortunately, the people knew who he was. tried everything to catch him. after 5 weeks of watching his patterns, I finally called a professional trapper. got him back, I am now extremely careful he can't escape. the people that use to see him in their neighborhood told me, there were people that tried killing him for his pelt.

my point is it is best to safe than sorry. also, some states could fine you over that too. most likely confiscate your fox

to sum this up, you are better getting a good enclosure for your fox. keep it next to your house with a lock on it if you are worried about your neighbors.

to be blunt, your ideas if I understand correctly is only asking for trouble.

sorry, not trying to be rude about it, only telling you the facts.
if you feel your fox is too much to handle, you are better off trying to re-home your fox with someone that has experience with them. some rehabs might take your fox.. I am not trying to discourage you, only be straight forward and honest.

I sincerely wish the best for you.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den

Return to “Training, Behavior & Enrichment”