PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

hit a wall with litter training

Topics include: Tricks, litter, toys, aggression, personality, walks, etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Aeroz

hit a wall with litter training

Postby Aeroz » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:56 pm

She poops fairly consistently in the box, the issue is the peeing. I am not sure what to do, I know you should reward her when she pees in the litter box but she never does. Nor have we been able to catch her to put her in the box. We got some eucalyptus oil, put it in the litter box. Had her come over so she could smell it and she had no reaction at all.

The issue with putting the litter box where she does pee is difficult. She usually pees on furniture and over an area far larger than the litter box.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: hit a wall with litter training

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:29 am

Yeah they need something bigger than a litter box. Pat uses cement mixing pans. Pua used a washer tray

Make sure whatever you use in it is highly absorbent. I've had good luck with washable pee pads. You could just try some towels at first to see if she likes that better than litter.

But even if she gets the idea pee is marking and she will always mark even if she decided to put her major puddles in the tray. She will always pee all over the place to mark it. She's a fox. That's what foxes do. You can't train marking out of them. This is another reason why they need their own enclosures.

Neither she or you are ever going to be truly happy in your current situation. She needs an outdoor enclosure.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:35 am

Sounds like she is marking. This is something that you cannot train out of a fox--it comes with the package.

I used a kiddie pool for a long time as a litter box. Like 6 feet across. It actually worked great. It had high sides and was big enough for my fox to hop in and out of. He was great when it came to using the litter box, but that still did not stop the marking. In the winter time he would mark with feces, which made big messes... If you're only dealing with marking with urine, you're luckier than I was.

No amount of training will make her stop marking. What you are experiencing now is going to stay for the rest of her life. She's full grown, and you are seeing adult fox behaviors now.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Aeroz

Postby Aeroz » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:01 am

its the middle of winter, I cant build an enclosure until the weather breaks.

But there might be a more complicated issue. The dog has also been peeing in the house. I wonder if they are doing it to try and cover up each other
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:18 am

Is there anyway to get a pre built enclosure? And they are definitely trying to cover eachother's scent up.
Owner of a Red fox, magpie harlequin, and a Netherland dwarf
dragonking

Postby dragonking » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:31 pm

You can buy prebuilt panels. Also I think there are larger dog kennels you can get, but they usually lack a bottom and a top. They also require some assembly as well.
Aeroz

Postby Aeroz » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:19 pm

dragonking wrote:You can buy prebuilt panels. Also I think there are larger dog kennels you can get, but they usually lack a bottom and a top. They also require some assembly as well.

thats why I need to wait for it to thaw since I'll need to bury a fence. I already know from her transport cage that she will rip out a bottom of a pen and jumps high enough I'd never trust one without a top
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:58 pm

LOL, Fable and our shih-tzu Zip did the same thing. Fable would mark, and even AFTER it was cleaned up and bleached, Zip would somehow find the exact spot and pee there (Zip was jealous of Fable and made sure we knew it).

Fable would go over to Zip's puddle and just look confused. Fortunately for him it was a never a "pee battle." Zip was the one that would always start it.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:02 pm

dragonking wrote:You can buy prebuilt panels. Also I think there are larger dog kennels you can get, but they usually lack a bottom and a top. They also require some assembly as well.

Dragonking is saying you would have to add the top and bottom. He knows that they'll dig and climb out.

Hey, did you ever consider setting up a temporary enclosure in the garage? (If you have a garage, lol, I don't know your layout.) You could use the panels Dragonking is talking about and put a top on it--and the bottom would be concrete since in the garage. Then in the spring/summer time you could move it outside and expand.

Ooh, like this one: http://www.lowes.com/pd_476087-51029-830063_1z0weob__?productId=50441822&pl=1

That would be able to be expanded later no problem. You could put chainlink over the top, and boom. You'd have a nice little enclosure without much hassle. :)
Aeroz

Postby Aeroz » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:43 pm

we have a back porch but its in the middle of remodeling so loose insulation and tools. I could put a pen in there still but the family has some issue. The neighbors call the cops on our dog if we leave him outside (on a runner I might add) for more than about an hour due to barking. So we are worried she'll whine and we will have a similar issue. If they complain about a dog they definitely will with a fox. Might still be good just to give her short breaks outside though
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:42 am

how big is the porch? without me knowing what it looks like, it is hard for anyone to give ideas.
are your neighbors that close?

if there anywhere you can put an enclosure next to your house without the neighbors hearing her?
there are slats that can be inserted on chainlink fencing. this hides whatever side or part of the enclosure.

if your fox is legal, and your neighbors do call the cops, what can they do. :shrug:

maybe think of moving somewhere a little more private :shrug:
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den

Return to “Training, Behavior & Enrichment”