PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

She is dragging her butt around

Topics include: Tricks, litter, toys, aggression, personality, walks, etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Aeroz

She is dragging her butt around

Postby Aeroz » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:36 am

Not sure why she is doing this but she's dragging her butt on stuff sometimes. I know with dogs this can be a sign of worms but I don't see any other signs. I never had a dog have worms before but I hear if you look at their poo its not too hard to detect.

I wonder if its a marking thing, or just her wiping herself, or if there is something else I'm just not thinking of
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: She is dragging her butt around

Postby Ash » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:14 am

What are you worming her with and how often? Worms would be my first concern too, but sometimes they might just act goofy. Ifrit did it a few times, but she didn't have anything. But if your fox is doing it often, I would be concerned that it would be parasites. Might worth it to have a fecal done. Not expensive at all, and would rule out worms.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Aeroz

Postby Aeroz » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:47 am

she's done it a few times but pretty sparse. I have seen her do it about three times the past few weeks. I also cant think of any way for her to get worms. The few times she's given meat its cooked and she's an indoor fox. There is that dirt I bought to try and help with fleas, I read that can be fed to get rid of parasites. Could try using that as a precaution.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:40 pm

Aeroz wrote:she's done it a few times but pretty sparse. I have seen her do it about three times the past few weeks. I also cant think of any way for her to get worms. The few times she's given meat its cooked and she's an indoor fox. There is that dirt I bought to try and help with fleas, I read that can be fed to get rid of parasites. Could try using that as a precaution.

Diatomaceous Earth? Yeah, definitely good to try and would be worth it if it helps.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
juniper707

Postby juniper707 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:51 am

I know this was from a few weeks ago, but just wanted to say in case your fox continues to drag her butt on the ground that this is often due to the animal having anal glands that are too full or clogged, and they scoot and drag their butt to try and express them. The anal glands normally express themselves when the animal poops and this is what gives all the "info" that other animals pick up when they smell it. Anal glands can be manually expressed from the outside but to fully empty them you'd have to actually stick your finger in the butt and sort of milk the gland. As you can imagine most animals do not appreciate this! If it is a continuing issue you can go on YouTube and there are a lot of videos on how to check and express a dog's anal glands yourself (it's the same for a fox.) Any veterinarian can do it too. You mentioned she's indoors only - if you ever see what looks like a poo streak on your floor that's the anal gland. Them being full isn't a big deal and the animal can usually get it expressed themselves but if they get clogged it can abcess and burst open. If that happens you'd see a little hole next to the anus.

That was probably way more information than anyone wanted lol.
Emily
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:28 pm

Thanks for posting that. I did not know that this could be a reason for the behavior, but it makes sense.
juniper707

Postby juniper707 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:49 am

Sure!
CrazyLykaFox

Postby CrazyLykaFox » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:01 pm

Definitely check her anal glands! Scooting is almost ALWAYS indicative of full or impacted glands. Your veterinarian can express them and likely show you how to do it at home. It's a little gross, but a necessary part of keeping a dog/fox and sometimes even cats!

=]

Return to “Training, Behavior & Enrichment”