PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

potty training questions

Topics include: Tricks, litter, toys, aggression, personality, walks, etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

juniper707

potty training questions

Postby juniper707 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:25 am

I have a few questions I am hoping someone with an indoor red fox can help me with. I realize they are all different and what works for one might not work for another, but just trying to get some ideas.
The first question is for indoor/outdoor foxes, should they have a litter box in the house or would it be possible to train the fox to go to the door like other indoor pets would when they need to go potty? My previous fox had been strictly indoors so I never even tried to see if that would work.
Second part of that question is does anyone have issues with them marking inside? Again, my last fox was indoors only and she marked in one particular place in the house just about every day. I am very worried that will be an issue, but I’m hoping because this fox will have an outdoor space as well that it won’t do that.
Thanks!
Emily
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: potty training questions

Postby Ash » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:25 pm

Hello! Sounds like you got super lucky with your first fox only marking in one place. Foxes, regardless of gender, will mark despite whether or not they are fixed or intact. So marking will definitely be an issue. They will mark around the house (in and outside of breeding season) and will mark what they claim. This includes toys, clothes, something they shouldn't have. When a fox gets something that it doesn't want to give back, lots of times they will pee a lot or defecate in their excitement. My foxes both have the habit of peeing when they see me since they get excited and "happy submissive."

I suggest closing off any areas with carpet though.

Since you'll have an outdoor enclosure, you can play it by ear. If your fox seems to be doing well indoors, then you can increase the amount of time it's inside. If it doesn't work out--no harm done. You still have the outdoor enclosure.

Red foxes litter-train pretty fast, actually. Many owners have success getting them litter-trained the first week or two they bring them home. So for a red fox, I personally think it's best for them to have a litter box. Unless you have a SUPER secure backyard, I wouldn't let them out to go potty like a dog anyway. A fox is not going to come back if it gets loose, and it's going to be a pain catching it. If you have a secure yard, then you might want to go ahead and give it a try. Other owners have said that if they see dogs going to wait by the door they are more likely to pick it up an learn that way. Arctic foxes seem to be the "outdoor potty" foxes, but they are never consistent.

I guess that's something to keep in mind. Even if your red fox is very good, there will always be moments and times of inconsistency. My foxes both became pretty good at their litter boxes, though the female was picky and stopped using it if it got "too dirty" for her liking (which happened pretty quickly). So she always seemed really inconsistent to me, but it was probably just because I didn't clean her litter box as much as I should have. She also didn't like that Fable would use the same litter boxes she would.

Keep in mind, when I say litter box, I'm talking about a really big pool-thing. I've used cement mixing pans in the past, but I had more success with using a miniature, plastic pond from a hardware store. After that, I gave my foxes a kiddie pool that was about 6' in diameter. So they do need a big space to do their business. Otherwise, they are very prone to be standing in their litter box, but all the waste will not necessarily make it into the box.

I hope that helps. :) If you have anymore questions, let us know!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
juniper707

Postby juniper707 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:59 am

Well, sorta lucky with my first girl. She only marked one place but it was my bed. She would pee on the bed once in a while and then she started going up into the box spring, but eventually dug a hole in the mattress and she would mark all over the mattress. People thought it was real weird that I slept on the couch lol. Definitely no delusions over here about them not being destructive. Which is one reason I wouldn't get one again if I didn't have an outdoor enclosure. but really, she was awesome. I had a giant plastic storage box with lid and the end cut out for her litter box which worked great inside (cuz the litter didn't fly all over) but I was thinking that be a pain to do outside. I like the kiddie pool idea!! Do you use like just play sand or actual cat litter?
Thanks!
Emily
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:43 am

I used cat litter (Tidy Cats I think). It worked super well. The higher sides make it hard for them to fling the litter everywhere.

LOL, sounds like your first girl knew where it was comfy! :mrgreen: Box springs aren't my cup of tea though. ;)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
juniper707

Postby juniper707 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:02 pm

Oh yea, she knew what she liked and was spoiled for sure!

Return to “Training, Behavior & Enrichment”