PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

foxes as an outdoor pet

Topics include: Tricks, litter, toys, aggression, personality, walks, etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

naja-naja

foxes as an outdoor pet

Postby naja-naja » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:52 pm

I have been thinking about foxes and it seems that many people keep theirs in the home at least part time. has anyone had any experience keeping them outdoors (in a secure enclosure with a den area obviously) all the time? I had been thinking if i got 2, raised them indoors and transitioned them into living outdoors as they grew up, would they remain friendly towards me or would they revert back to being wild? (I would of course be interacting with them inside their enclosure or even taking them out for supervised indoor time sometimes if possible) Because they wouldn't be housepets I wouldn't need them 100% bonded to me as if I was a parent, so I wouldn't be getting bottle raised kits I would try to get parent reared but socialized kits if possible and wait until they are fully weaned to take ownership of them. Does anyone on here with experience of fox behavior think that would be feasible? many thanks.
Teddy.
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
Wiggles

Re: foxes as an outdoor pet

Postby Wiggles » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:43 pm

I kept my male silver cross marble red fox inside until he was about 6 months old then moved him to his current outdoor enclosure complete with a den box & shelves. I got him when he was about 10 weeks old, and I was told by the breeder that he was pulled from his mother at about 5 weeks old.

He was a little nervous about the change at first, but he quickly adjusted to living outside. I've noticed that he's less skittish & more loving now that he's outside.

He's currently living with his mate, a black silver red fox, and their seven kits with great success.
Wiggles

Postby Wiggles » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:45 pm

Also, in my case, my foxes never used their den area during the winter and preferred to sleep on their shelves; they only use it for raising their kits.
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:59 pm

that sounds like an ideal situation. i would like if the fox stayed affectionate or even tolerant of human interaction, but i wouldn't want them to be too dependent on me either which is why i was thinking parent reared and socialized would be best. although i suppose pulled at 5 weeks isn't as drastic as pulled at 5 days so that could make all the difference.
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:34 am

Actually most foxes are happier outside, reds and arctics especially, some tiny ones do great inside. Most who keep them inside do it for themselves. Though those that have their own room attached to the outside cage work well but it's not needed. And no need to mom raise instead of bottle to do it.
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:09 am

would the fox not find it easier to bond with and socialize with it's cage-mate if it's been raised by another fox no? my way of thinking would be the whole point of bottle raising is to get the animal as tame as possible either to keep it as an indoor pet or for safety reasons, I'd be happy enough with foxes that were tolerant/curious of me and more socially adjusted towards each other rather then bonded to me.
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:46 pm

If you raise them together they will bond more to each other than you anyway. It can be hard on the animals to keep them when they are not adjusted to handling. They'll do just fine raised normally.
Wiggles

Postby Wiggles » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:43 am

I agree with TamanduaGirl in regards to the foxes bonding more with each other than you if raised together.

A friend of mine got a related pair of silvers at the same time that I got my first marble, and the female is only fine with her brother & my friend and can't be trusted around people besides my friend. Meanwhile, her brother loves everyone and can be trusted around people.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:25 pm

Mine are definitely way happier outside, and they are lovey with me. I think it is very important to move them outside as soon as you can. Very good for their mental health.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas

Return to “Training, Behavior & Enrichment”