PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

too old?

Topics include: Tricks, litter, toys, aggression, personality, walks, etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

naja-naja

too old?

Postby naja-naja » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:29 pm

how old is too old to get a fox kit? assuming that it's been pulled at the right age and is being hand raised and well socialized by the breeder, how long before it would be too attached to the breeder/rearer? i think normal age is 4-6 weeks but if it was kept until 14weeks for arguments sake (didn't sell immediately and was still available for example would it make a poor pet and be stressed from the move?) what is the cut off age?
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: too old?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:54 pm

Fennecs age a wee bit quicker than reds but here's what I wrote in regards to fennecs.

"So what’s the max? That’s a little harder to pinpoint but 3-4 months is ideal. I might go 5 max but at 5 months you are likely not getting it from a breeder but a rehomed animal, even if the ad uses wording like “raised in a loving home”. They likely raised it there after getting it from a breeder and are rehoming it now due to problems either from raising it wrong or not expecting a fennec to be a fennec."

Though I may need to word that better you generally bring a fennec home at roughly 2-3 months depending on the breeders preferences so that would really be ideal and 3-4 still good. But with fennecs you have to wait till weaned so they come home older than reds already even though they age a bit faster, at least they hit sexual maturity quicker 9 months vs 10 in reds.

14 weeks should still be fine for a red too I think long as it's been bottle raised and socialized well with people and other pets.

But it is really hard to put a for sure max since individuals vary but as a general rule think the cut off would be 4-5 months for both species and the bond may still be a bit less than one gotten younger but shouldn't have any major issues.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:27 pm

I got my reds both at 5 weeks old. But I'm sure I could have gotten them a bit later. 14 weeks might not make it the easiest adjustment, but they are still young enough to grow up and bond to you. Might take a little extra effort.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Tue May 10, 2016 8:01 pm

My fox was about ten weeks old when I got him. If I ever purchase another, I would definitely get it younger, but we bonded great.
Owner of a Red fox, magpie harlequin, and a Netherland dwarf

Return to “Training, Behavior & Enrichment”