ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

a dig box

Topics include: Tricks, litter, toys, aggression, personality, walks, etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Aeroz

a dig box

Postby Aeroz » Sat May 28, 2016 6:29 pm

So I had an idea. I realize its not really possible to get her to stop digging. Its a very base instinct. So I thought if I gave her something she could dig in that would help. My idea was simple. Get a box, fill it with stuffing (I got the firmer stuff like what you'd use as lining) and hopefully she'll find it a good outlet. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions to encourage her to use it over say, the couch.
minervasden

Re: a dig box

Postby minervasden » Sat May 28, 2016 7:30 pm

The stuffing wouldn't be a safe material. Could even encourage her to savage similar furniture. A sand or dirt box outside would be best but if that isn't something you can offer yet, try a filling that won't make too much mess indoors. If she doesn't eat paper crumpled balls of paper could be used. Ball pit balls are another option. Maybe you have another suitable material around the house? Putting treats, favorite toys, and even new toys to dig out will encourage her to use the dig box. Place a treat on top first to get her interested. Plastic kiddie pools aren't too expensive and can be easily stored when not using.

A box with a goodie inside that she has to chew and dig open is always good as well.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat May 28, 2016 7:35 pm

Could also try a large cardboard cat scratcher to dig at.

Otherwise make it an enclosed box for digging with a small opening that's raised a bit and some carpet or something at the entrance to catch some of the sand/dirt when he jumps out. After seeing the sand Aurora tracked out with her after she used the sand box the one time I realized something like that would be a needed addition, assuming my fennec will be using the dig box a lot.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sat May 28, 2016 10:20 pm

Just noticed what I wrote may not read as intended. To clarify I meant a sand or soil dig box is better outdoors than in. Not that a dig box itself is better outdoors. It is certainly good to be able to offer digging in any area the fox uses. I apologize if that wasn't clear.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you

Return to “Training, Behavior & Enrichment”