PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Do they play fetch?

Topics include: Tricks, litter, toys, aggression, personality, walks, etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Aeroz

Do they play fetch?

Postby Aeroz » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:01 pm

She often plays with herself. Tossing a ball down the steps. But when I have it and get her attention does throwing it show I want to play or in her mind and I just keeping her toy from her?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Do they play fetch?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:18 pm

Some will play fetch but not just like a dog. They wont do it on command but may learn to bring it to you to throw IF they feel like it.

Fennec playing fetch. You can see he plays with it then just brings it when he feels like having the owner throw it to chase
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnJqqHHBECM

But if your fox tends to be possessive there could be some chance of a misunderstanding if you grab for it. One thing that could help is having more than one ball, throw the second if she brings the first back to you then pick the first up while she's chasing the second.
Aeroz

Postby Aeroz » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:57 pm

I'm just not sure. She isn't trying to rip it out of my hand but I do get her attention when I have it and squeak it. She will chase after it but then just nudge it abit or take it and run off somewhere
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:43 pm

Sounds like she just doesn't want to fetch. I did teach my first dog but she didn't want too. She'd get it at first but after the third toss or so she'd just give me a dirty look, like you keep throwing it go get it yourself, lol.

Hyzzie loved to chase toys when she was young BUT she also loved to play keep away and tug, so she'd run after it and then taunt me with it, tug and then if I got it again would chase it if I threw it but never bothered to try and train her to do it. This might not be good with fox though but she'd bring it back at least near me because it was fun and if she ran off with it the game was over.

I think it would be hard to train a fox to do it. They either want to chase and grab it, so get the idea that giving it to you prolongs the fun, or they don't.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:02 pm

That fennec fox video is so cute. I didn't know they played fetch.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:52 pm

My foxes absolutely love it when I throw the ball, but they don't like to bring it back let alone pick it up, lol. So I pretty much just toss it, watch them chase it... and then I walk over to pick it up to throw again, lol. Mine really like chasing best.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas

Return to “Training, Behavior & Enrichment”