PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

She stole garbage and now I cant go near her

Topics include: Tricks, litter, toys, aggression, personality, walks, etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Aeroz

She stole garbage and now I cant go near her

Postby Aeroz » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:25 am

She got into the garbage and stole some chicken. I took the wrapper and she became very violent. I think she has more hidden in my room. If I go in she immediately attacks me very aggressively. Its currently the next morning and the behavior persists

[update] I think I found it all. Hopefully she will calm down now
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: She stole garbage and now I cant go near her

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:13 pm

Toss a blanket over her and then toss her in her enclosure to calm down.
Aeroz

Postby Aeroz » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Toss a blanket over her and then toss her in her enclosure to calm down.

Cant even get near her. she rushes out and attacks. Plus I've tried using a blanket to catch her, never been able to. Similarly she's wise to all attempts at baiting her now.

Is it better to leave her alone until she calms down? I'm actually leaving for the weekend tomorrow morning
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:50 am

Does she live in your room? You're going to need to be able to get anything harmful away from her, especially if she's "trapped" in there for now and I wouldn't suggest leaving her alone in there. Besides, who will clean up after her while you're gone if she's in an aggressive mood? Try to lure her with another piece of chicken out of the room, and then lock her out while you clean up the mess. If you give her something more enticing, she will come after that.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:37 pm

Ash wrote:You're going to need to be able to get anything harmful away from her, especially if she's "trapped"

The owner did say her animal attacks whenever entering the room, so going into the room to remove harmful items is not a smart move on the owner's part.

Aeroz, you just might need to hire a wildlife catcher. I do not imagine they will take your animal away; just show them your wildlife permits, if your state required one. They should simply catch your animal and put it into your enclosure of choice.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:31 pm

I agree with Ash, put more enticing food out of the room. then close the door if the fox goes for it. if she is worried worried about getting too close to the fox, use a long stick to shut the door, gotta be quick about it though.
welding gloves is also a good idea.

don't think a trapper will help in a bedroom. the only sure way to trap a fox is using a foot trap, and even at that, it is not easy, especially in a room.
also, she stands a good chance of a trapper calling the game warden, and probably killing the fox if she is that aggressive.

aeroz needs an outdoor enclosure for her fox. her fox's behavior is abnormal.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:35 pm

Vata Raven ,

just a curious question.. how would a trapper trap a fox in a bedroom? I don't really know of other ways?
if the fox is that aggressive with the owner, I have to wonder how a trapper would handle that :shrug:

Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:52 pm

pat wrote:Vata Raven, just a curious question.. how would a trapper trap a fox in a bedroom? I don't really know of other ways?
if the fox is that aggressive with the owner, I have to wonder how a trapper would handle that :shrug:

I would think a trapper would have items readily on hand to handle the animal. They would have the gloves that are harder to bite through, a catching net, and other things on hand. This is just me assuming. However, if the trapper would have the fox taken away due to the aggression level, then I would not follow through with the hire. Maybe they could offer advice.

I think if Aeroz gets a strong enough net (and one without large holes in it) and long weld gloves, the owner might be able to corner it (not a smart idea, maybe something similar) and get the net over the fox and get it into a cage. It will be a rough on the animal, but it will get the job done. This is a situation where the owner does need to risk getting bit if they want to keep their pet. Long weld gloves would project the whole arm, and thick work pants to protect the leg.

Aeroz did note they would be gone the weekend. Maybe by the time they get back, the fox will have wore itself out. How long should the owner wait to see if the aggression wares off? I would worry if the behavior still persists when they return from their weekend trip.

Some enticing foods without a wait period (aside from the driving), head to Kroger or Walmart and buy a container of chicken hearts, livers, and gizzards. Lay them out raw, this should lure the fox out.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:35 am

Vata Raven,

Not really knowing the layout of Aeroz's room is hard for us give ideas.

long time ago, one of my foxes escaped, I knew where he was, watched his pattern for 5 weeks :roll:, I tried to get him, no luck,
hired a trapper, the trapper started out with some set ups that I knew would not work, but, would wait and see.
finally, he used a foot trap, we all stood by and waited, the trapper put an egg, some fox urine and buried it a little.
once the fox got in the trap, the trapper threw a heavy blanket over him, grabbed him and put him in my carrier.
on the other hand, my fox is not aggressive.

now, being in a room with a fox that aggressive is really going to be a challenge. "sly as a fox" is really true. foxes are very quick.
the net would have to be pretty heavy, then trying to get the fox with a net would be a challenge.. I would say a "catch pole" they are generally used on raccoons, but, I really can't see how it would work on a fox, maybe they having something that would :shrug:

I still think, as Ash suggested, is to try and to put food out of the room. the livers might should work , or eggs. it is worth a try.
maybe by the time they come home, he will be ready to come out :shrug: I feel bad for the fox, that really is no life for a fox being in a room like that. that fox needs an enclosure. my other concern, wonder if the fox has water to drink while they are away. icon-sad

as for the bad aggressive toward everyone, wonder if a big spray bottle would help when the fox goes into attack mode. :shrug:

Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:09 pm

pat wrote:finally, he used a foot trap, we all stood by and waited

I always thought a foot trap hurt the animals legs, but if you used it, then can't imagine it was harmful to your own fox. Very interesting to know that was a myth.
pat wrote:as for the bad aggressive toward everyone, wonder if a big spray bottle would help when the fox goes into attack mode. :shrug:

I suggest apple cider vinegar as the spray solution.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:14 pm

Vata Raven wrote:I always thought a foot trap hurt the animals legs, but if you used it, then can't imagine it was harmful to your own fox. Very interesting to know that was a myth.

Depends on the trap and situation. Most of them now are rubber rimmed to avoid damage. However if left for a long time in it they could still get some damage from wear of trying to get free. I think most trapping rules are to check the trap twice a day. In this case they waited close by so they could free him right away.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:07 pm

Depends on the trap and situation. Most of them now are rubber rimmed to avoid damage. However if left for a long time in it they could still get some damage from wear of trying to get free. I think most trapping rules are to check the trap twice a day. In this case they waited close by so they could free him right away

I agree, and that is exactly what we did, wait till he got in the trap. was not even 5 minutes.
daryl only had a minor scrape on his foot. I am against foot traps, but, with my fox and most foxes the only thing will work is a foot trap.

some people camo a have-a-heart, I tried it for many days, and no success. maybe a two way trap would work :shrug:

VR,
I suggest apple cider vinegar as the spray solution.
why? foxes don't like water. not sure if that would burn the eyes, if it got into their eye :shrug:

Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:37 pm

pat wrote:why? foxes don't like water. not sure if that would burn the eyes, if it got into their eye :shrug:

Because of the sour taste, you spray the item(s) that would be the cause of the aggression or misbehavior. Using a spray bottle to correct bad behavior is ill advised (like spraying it in their face) for dogs, so I would not do it with a fox, either. So, in this case, Aeroz would lay out chicken with the apple cider vinegar sprayed on it, the trash can could also be a good spray site. Hopefully, when the fox taste the sour item, it will learn not to act in aggression over time.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:35 pm

That would just act as a deterrent to not take it in the first place, if it worked. The bitter apple doesn't tend to work with foxes so don't see how watered down vinegar would.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:10 am

I think it is really hard to say for sure what would work. not having further info is not helping.

Aeroz did not specify what type of garbage, how long it will last. maybe it would help if we had more info :shrug:
either way, it is hard for us to say what will work and what won''t. all we can do is give her suggestions icon_confused.gif

she said the fox attacks her, does the fox jump up at her , if so how high :shrug:

another thought, (even though I don't know just how bad this fox is)
wonder if she could try the 2-door trap with some really good food. open the bedroom door just enough for the trap to fit. :shrug:

Return to “Training, Behavior & Enrichment”