She stole garbage and now I cant go near her

Topics include: Tricks, litter, toys, aggression, personality, walks, etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: She stole garbage and now I cant go near her

Postby Ash » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:19 am

The problem still has to be solved though. You can't just leave an aggressive fox trapped in a room to get into more stuff (especially if some of those things are cords or are harmful items). Since she's your animal, you need to know how to work with her when she is being aggressive and when she isn't. If you're nervous about getting bitten though, then you could hire someone. I personally would be too worried the person hired would get bitten and then report the bite (and then fox gets put down). But obviously it's your decision to take whatever risks you think are necessary.

This particular situation could easily repeat itself, knowing the owner's current setup (I don't think Aeroz has an enclosure). Foxes get a hold of stuff all the time and can become possessive of it, so making the room totally fox-proof would be ideal if there isn't an enclosure yet for the future.

As for the current situation, I'm assuming it resolved itself, but would like it if Aeroz came and posted what they tried, and what worked. :)
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Aeroz

Postby Aeroz » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:54 pm

Sorry about the delay, see to get to my computer I need to go through my room so initially that was a problem, then there was my trip, then me recovering from it. Now while I was on a trip she was of course being watched. They took the stance of leaving her alone in my room but trying to encourage her to leave it. Upon my return she was back to her usual self. I went up to say hi, because she was sleeping and she moved on her back to get scratched.

Before, well I did remove the garbage, which was a package some raw chicken came in. When i removed the bulk of it she got aggressive. It was probably a mistake to remove it while she was around so she knew I did it. After luring her out and trapping her outside the room I found abit more and removed it. Initially this didn't have much effect but I was happy that it was cleaned out since it was a health hazard to all involved. As I said she is fine now.

I'd love to give her her own area but there are multiple issues with that. We have essentially settled on restricting her to my room when she needs to be restricted. She views the room and especially the bed as her territory already. I cannot get permission to build an outside enclosure and frankly our neighbor would report it immediately. We have had the cops called on us several times already due to our dog. All unfounded so nothing really came of it but sadly any fox owner is aware that is a much bigger issue with foxes.

I am hoping some leash training and walks might work instead.
dragonking

Postby dragonking » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:22 am

Walks might help, but if your neighbors gave you trouble over dogs I would advise going someplace else for the walks.
Aeroz

Postby Aeroz » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:12 pm

dragonking wrote:Walks might help, but if your neighbors gave you trouble over dogs I would advise going someplace else for the walks.

A single neighbor gives us trouble (and its not just us, last week they called the cops because the neighbor kids were playing ball near the property line).

I do get what you mean, maybe a bike trail or dog park would be a better idea
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:39 pm

Aeroz wrote:I cannot get permission to build an outside enclosure and frankly our neighbor would report it immediately.

You can't build on your own property?

Do you own your house or rent? If you own it, hire a land surveyor, and build a high, wooden fence to block out your rude ass neighbors.

They cannot call the cops on you for doing that. It is you land, you can do what with it. If they give you BS for it, take it to court.
Aeroz

Postby Aeroz » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:43 pm

I dont own the property.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:55 pm

Thanks, Aeroz. I'm glad it worked out for you two. :)

Technically, even if you did own the property, you may not be able to build on it anyway without obtaining a building permit or variance. There are city ordinances in place that may or may not prohibit building structures of certain dimensions on the property. That's where checking zoning laws comes into effect.

Just throwing that out there so it wasn't just assumed that you can build whatever you want on your land. Not always true and don't want people to get the wrong idea. ;)
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula

Return to “Training, Behavior & Enrichment”