PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

He's been nipping me, ECT. More questions

Topics include: Tricks, litter, toys, aggression, personality, walks, etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

H20 Sl

He's been nipping me, ECT. More questions

Postby H20 Sl » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:08 am

Hey, I'm back for some more advice. As for the legal issues, I've been having a hard time. But netherless, I have my fox and i still have questions. :shrug:

Ok, hes been a bit "aggressive" per say. He'll nip me through my clothes, and ripped my good shirt just with a nip. I know when he'll do it. He'll put his noes were he will nip, and then bites me :shrug: . He'll also bite my calf, which is play I think.

I'm also wondering how to handle October crazies, I do trust him so lick my face, so should i not let him do that soon? I heard they become unpredicatble.

Also, I started to take him for "runs" and he LOVES it, not fearful once so ever. I want to know what harness I should use that positivly will work. I used velcro that was fabric based and he slipped out, but i didn't tighten it very good that day. I just want to be safe.. when slipped out, he crossed a busy road with no fear :wall: and i was sprinting after him, i didnt even look both ways, I stopped all traffic and good thing he went in a fenced in trailer storage. He trusted me, so i could "easily" get to him without him being scared. He thought i was playing.

Anyways, sorry for spelling, I'm in a rush. :roll:
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: He's been nipping me, ECT. More questions

Postby Ash » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:02 pm

Doesn't sound like aggression to me. Sounds like playful or curious biting. Teaching them not to nip like that is important since lots of times they will accidentally nip pretty hard through clothing. When they go to nose you and you know they're going to nip, just brush their face away and pet them instead--though this might make them want to nom your hand, lol (which I really don't mind and I think is a good foxy behavior).

It's okay to let them lick your face. When they mature it's not a matter of unpredictability. It's a matter of being an adult fox and acting more like an adult fox. So if you know what an adult fox acts like, there isn't going to be any unpredictable factor. You've probably watched lots of videos of adult foxes, so you will know what to expect. If you haven't, watch a lot so you can learn how other adult foxes behave. I was lucky and got to work with adult foxes prior to bringing my first kit home, so I didn't really notice anything surprising with mine.

I use the velcro harnesses, actually. I've found my foxes prefer them and think they're comfortable, making them easy to get on and off. You do have to make sure you fasten it tight, but the clip on the leash keeps it pulled together. So that's what I've come to like. I don't think there is any harness in the world that will be 100% fox proof, to be honest. My foxes have slipped their h-harnesses or chewed through them (I left their harnesses on a lot). Whatever you feel most comfortable with is what I would suggest harness-wise. I don't advise using a collar at all though when leashing--foxes will dart and could choke easily (or just plain slip out of it).

I don't remember what legal issues you were having before, but if you are running into some problems, I wouldn't take your fox out on runs until it gets cleared up. Even legal owners have had police seize their foxes thinking they weren't allowed. I think it's great that he loves running with you though. Is he good on the leash? Or does he just bolt anyway he wants like a normal fox, lol?

Maybe not a good idea to take your fox in high traffic areas if you don't think the harness is secure. I'd take him more to secluded spots, but that's just me. I don't like the attention, and I feel like having my fox out in a busy area is asking for trouble.

Sounds like otherwise you're doing a great job raising him. :) Would love to hear more updates on the guy.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
H20 Sl

Postby H20 Sl » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:12 pm

Ah, for the area I take him in, I honestly thought he would be a bit weary of going towards the traffic. I take him to the canoe launch, but away from it. No one goes there, EVER, that's why I thought it would be the best, but TBH, I a bit scared to walk him now with him being with me illegally..

When he on the leash, he knows how far it goes, he's EXTREMELY good on it. I remember that he grabbed his harness and put it right by the door, I knew he was going to be fine with the harness from now on lol. What I've seen in lokitheredfox videos is not at all what Bo does. He's not bolty like a fox, he's brave and very much like a dog. He knows th limit of the leash, but he knows I'll run around with him. And when I do, then he'll bolt around happily. I was surprised how doglike he has become..

I mean, I love him to death, he is the sweetest thing I've ever met. A little punk though at times. He does not bite me hard when he's scared, I think I have established my dominance very clearly, I noticed that he is very aware that I am bigger and much more strict with his actions.

Yeah, I didn't know if the nipping was the crazies or what. I'm not sure what to expect, I mean, he's always moody so nothing new lol. But I have watched fox videos, mostly lokis, because there are just so MANY. sorry, I'm haveing a weird day, my typing skills are crap.

But yeah, here's some pictures. He's defiantly a wildfire so far
H20 Sl

Postby H20 Sl » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:15 pm

He looks so funny
Attachments
image.jpeg
I thought this one was kind of funny
H20 Sl

Postby H20 Sl » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:21 pm

Fox are hard to photograph
Attachments
20160915_181953.jpg
H20 Sl

Postby H20 Sl » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:23 pm

M
Attachments
20160915_182246.png
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:25 pm

Aaaaaw. He's so cute! I'm glad the two of you fit so well together! Thanks for the updates. What a handsome man.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
H20 Sl

Postby H20 Sl » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:29 pm

The first one is accurate coloring because my iPad has better quality
H20 Sl

Postby H20 Sl » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:35 am

OH, another question. HIs right eye i belive, has been very watery. there is always wet fur in the corner of his eye. Should i get it checked out? He does blink in more that the left, but it doesnt bother him.
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:18 pm

H20 Sl wrote:OH, another question. HIs right eye i belive, has been very watery. there is always wet fur in the corner of his eye. Should i get it checked out? He does blink in more that the left, but it doesnt bother him.

I would have a vet look at it. It could be nothing and you simply could wash his eyes without a saline solution, but it could be anything.

This link could give you a general idea of what could be wrong with the eye.
http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/eyes/c_dg_epiphora
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:32 pm

Sounds like allergies, so should go away once the season is over. A fox where I interned had really bad allergies and would get big goops in his eyes, but he was a more extreme case. He needed eye drops put into his eyes. As far as I remember, this was only during the spring and summertime.

A trip to the vet will help you figure out what exactly he needs, or if it could be something else. But my guess is allergies.

Hopefully you get it figured out. :)
H20 Sl

Postby H20 Sl » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:31 am

Thank you so much! Allergies are bad, even for humans right now.

Return to “Training, Behavior & Enrichment”