PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

hay in enclosure, enclosure expirience, my fox expirience so far and a bit of a apology

Topics include: Tricks, litter, toys, aggression, personality, walks, etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

H20 Sl

Re: hay in enclosure, enclosure expirience, my fox expirience so far and a bit of a apology

Postby H20 Sl » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:13 am

Sadly, I just got the stomach flu, so I cant go get anything today.. But thank you Vata, Ash and TamanduaGirl.. I feel like crap right now, and just want to sleep. I'll update on anything new. I text my vet, still waiting for a response.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: hay in enclosure, enclosure expirience, my fox expirience so far and a bit of a apology

Postby Ash » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:42 pm

Now that I'm USDA, my vet does home visits so it's easier. But before then and when Fable hurt his leg, I crated them and took them in on a harness. I am lucky. My two usually did fairly well at the vet's. Ifrit never liked it, but she was okay. I would have a VERY hard time muzzling mine. I don't know how you would manage with yours, but I imagine a spastic, fearful fox which is why I never want to try it. You could always volunteer yourself to be the one restraining him for anything. I did that at the first vet I regularly took mine to. The techs were kind of nervous, so I did the stuff near the head and face.

My foxes love dirt, lol. They actually like it more than the hay anyway, so that's what I'll give em. I'm sure they'd love sand too. When I first spread out all the hay, they would make little tiny clearings they could lay in so they were laying on dirt instead, haha. I have two covered houses in there as well for them, the bigger one being insulated.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:14 pm

Ash wrote:You could always volunteer yourself to be the one restraining him for anything.

That's what I would do with my fox. I also am always helping with the anteaters. They are kind of like gators though. You hold their front claws closed and they don't have the power to open them. All their power is in closing them, the grip. But boy the arms and body are strong and squirmy and they can get you with kitty scratches with their back feet, so take me, vet and a tech to get the job(blood draw, x-ray, nail trim, etc).

Sorry you are not feeling well, H20 Sl. Hope you get over it quickly.
H20 Sl

Postby H20 Sl » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:47 am

So, my vet said to wait and let him try and fight it and clear his lungs.. he's almost all healed, I took the hay out, hosed it all out, and just let him breath fresh air.. I really loved that hay though, it was so fun.. My cage is on stone patio btw. My vet told me we would give him some meds to calm him down before i take him in eventually, and i can muzzle him then,,(I havent even got his rabies shot yet, bc my old vet, 1. wasnt comfortable treating him and 2. was an ass*** about the whole situation, but I'm not goin to expose or anything, it's over with) I thinking about muzzle training him so it will just be easier, he is not as well behaved as your guys pets, he get a bit of a wild side, wips around and is fast.. I want my vet to be comfortable, but she know hes a wild guy.. I hope... Yeah, I don't want a fearful fox, I know he was scared of a harness at first, but im going to see if he'll be accepting of a muzzle sense he was ok with his harness after a while..

Hmm, ok, so back to getting the flooring, I think he would like dirt or sand, but im not sure how to accomplish that.. I could take out the stones, but thats kinda of a waste and pointless.. I want the dirt or sand to stay in the cage.. if i just dump dirt, thats just messy. I have to re-read what you guys wrote bc I'm really forgetful recently.. I don't know whats going on omg....
H20 Sl

Postby H20 Sl » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:48 am

Oh, and how can I get a profile picture? I've been trying forever, and still havent figured out how to get a nice, clear image like Ash
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:32 pm

Host your profile photo on another site and add the link in the form. And it has to be a certain size, it should say the size it accepts under the area you put the link into.

Heard of raised bed gardening? You could do it like that. Build a box around the bottom of the cage, 4 short walls to hold the sand or dirt in. No reason to remove the rocks. Some will still leek or be thrown out when he digs but should be manageable.
H20 Sl

Postby H20 Sl » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:45 pm

Oh yeeeaahh, good idea! I think that's going to work out nice,, time to visit the hardware store :D! So, can I post a picture on photobucket and post it on the avatar setting?? I'm not that tech savy, lets see...
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:55 pm

oops I see we didn't have that option enabled but I have now enabled it so yes you can now link an avatar from photobucket instead of upload from your computer. I thought having that option on was standard.

My best guess is your other files were too large it's 200x200 max but the file size may have been too large. I don't know what the max is though as it's set to default 0 "For uploaded avatar files. If this value is 0, the uploaded filesize is only limited by your PHP configuration." So I don't know what that is, maybe Pat does. I suppose I could put a max value is but I wouldn't be sure what to put.

Try photobucket and see how that goes.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:04 am

Ah, he sounds like a sweetie. My foxes are older and they mellow with age. When they were younger they were pretty crazy (especially Ifrit!). Your dude is young and hyper! So no worries, he's just as good of a fox!
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
H20 Sl

Postby H20 Sl » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:56 pm

Ok, so I figured out how to get a pfp, FINALLY, but i want a different picture of bo.. How can i scale it down without cropping the whole thing?

I'm also currently working on the enclose flooring! Decided to try out some kind of sand/sand related material, like that granite sand?.. he might go to the bathroom in it though... well, he did with the hey too so, ^^'...
H20 Sl

Postby H20 Sl » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:57 pm

Lmao, thanks ash XD,, hes a trouble child FOR sure
H20 Sl

Postby H20 Sl » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:58 pm

Here's the picture I want btw,, its a bit blurry, but I thought scaling it down would defiantly help
Attachments
20161007_181719_zpstjnzttib_edit_1477337886219_zpsomdveulx.jpg
H20 Sl

Postby H20 Sl » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:59 pm

and thats not even the original.. if i crop to 200X200, all ill get is his snout
H20 Sl

Postby H20 Sl » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:05 pm

WOOP, figured it out jk
H20 Sl

Postby H20 Sl » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:17 pm

So, I have moved his cage to the grass for now,, I thinking of adding just a wood slab for flooring, and to build up a "box" halfway and put some "sand" in it,, I can then maybe build some more selves, make him feel at home :),, You think that's a good idea? or is there any flaws.. I just don't want to get sand and such all in the crevasses of the patio..

Return to “Training, Behavior & Enrichment”