PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

She keeps getting more violent

Topics include: Tricks, litter, toys, aggression, personality, walks, etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Aeroz

She keeps getting more violent

Postby Aeroz » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:46 am

She isn't just biting but she's being more aggressive. She went from nipping my heels to jumping for my hands and now she's chomping down on my leg. This behavior has grown more frequent with no real sign as to why. She hadn't stolen anything and even when she attacks I remain as calm as I can without taking an aggressive stance. Though its hard to avoid screaming from the pain. The only thing I can think of is we keep her in my room at night and thats caused her to treat my room as her territory. Thats still only a guess. The situation with the neighbors has grown worse since I last posted. The husband tried to kill his wife, literally, so I don't like the idea of leaving her outside for hours on end.

Is there an option? I worry I'm going have to give her up.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: She keeps getting more violent

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:44 pm

Find a sanctuary to take her. I'm sorry but this situation is horrible for everyone involved.

You are probably right about her thinking the room is her territory. That's one reason an enclosure helps they get to have a space that is theirs. I'm guessing you don't have a garage to convert for her either? You could build a shed and then add privacy fence so she could be outside but not seen.

But if you won't/can't give her an outside enclosure of some kind I think she really needs to go to someone used to dealing with troubled foxes.
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:11 pm

Aeroz wrote:The husband tried to kill his wife, literally, so I don't like the idea of leaving her outside for hours on end.

How about moving?

You have this pet that needs an outdoor space, you can NOT keep it inside all the damn time.

If you want to keep your fox, you need to move.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:56 am

I agree with Mary and Vata.

your two choices are:
1. take your fox to a sanctuary
or
2. move (less neighbors)

sadly, the living conditions will only keep getting worse, your fox is not happy at all. icon-sad
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:36 am

pat wrote:2. move (less neighbors)

I personally don't think neighbors are an issue; not to say they can't be. You just need to find a place where people won't give you much a problem, or just not care. However, in this case, with the husband almost killing his wife, you don't even want those type of neighbors in the first place. Why stay after learning about that bit of information?

In Aeroz's previous post, about her fox stealing the garbage, she stated she could not even build an enclosure for her animal, the landlord would not let her. That statement tells me she did not prepare too well for her animal. Sounds like maybe she was expecting the fox to become an indoor pet, like small breed dogs or cats. Nonetheless, the most common advice I see given by fox owners, is to make sure they build them an outdoor enclosure.
Aeroz

Postby Aeroz » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:12 pm

I think you are vastly overestimating my income. I cant just up and move.

My concern with giving her up is, well my concern for her. I'd hate to lose her of course but her happiness takes priority. However I worry about giving her to someone thats less capable than I am. I know first hand how difficult it is to take care of a fox and that most people couldn't handle it. To put it simply I worry she wouldn't be treated well or would be abandoned.

PS for the record I was planning to build a pen, said I was going to, but told after the fact I could not. Mostly its a "size" issue on top of the issue with the neighbors.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:36 pm

Beth at Critter Camp has a lot of experience with trouble foxes but she's in IL maybe she could help arrange transport or know someone closer. https://www.facebook.com/beth.randall?fref=ts
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:32 pm

Vata Raven wrote:In Aeroz's previous post, about her fox stealing the garbage, she stated she could not even build an enclosure for her animal, the landlord would not let her.

No she said her parents wouldn't let her and early on said about her parents feeding it from the table and such. I assume her parents own rather than rent.

Aeroz, a sanctuary wont give an animal away. Keeping troubled animals for life is their purpose. They will be used to dealing with all kinds of exotics. I know Beth would be roughly 10hrs away but she would be the best I know of if she could take her. Meeting half way would cut it down to around 5hr drive or so give or take on exact location.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:48 pm

I don't understand why the neighbors would have any say so at all for what you do on your property.
even if you own or rent :shrug:

mary is right, personally, I think a sanctuary would be your best bet. it is not fair to your fox to expect him to live in a house 24/7.

I am sure it is not easy to do. but, you should do what you think is the best for your fox.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:43 pm

I know it is hard to give an animal up but sometimes it really is the best thing to do. When I got Eldorado I did not know, nor could I know since the subspecies was new, that they do not get along with the kind Pua is. After Pua got over her fear of him she was stalking him down and attacking him. He started out wanting to claw my eyes out and then I tamed him down to the point of toddling up to me on two legs and tugging my pant leg to ask to play and then I had to give him up because everyone was miserable. It was awful and I bawled my eyes out the night before he was to go when he did the pant leg thing but it was for the best and would have been selfish to try and keep him when I do not have the proper set up to keep them separated. He went to a home with one of his own kind who liked him instead of attacked him. It was so sweet to see how much he loved her and made giving him up feel better.

There's a lady on Facebook who has a couple foxes and is looking for a rescue to take in but she can't log in here for some reason. I'll Pm you her account and you can message her. I'm sure she could put any fears you have to rest.
Shelbykdl

Postby Shelbykdl » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:52 pm

I'd be happy to take her. Please message me on Facebook at Shelby Lewis. I have two red males now and would be happy to take another. I've got an enclosure built that's big enough for the three of them. Please message me so we can talk more
Aeroz

Postby Aeroz » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:22 am

I was thinking of a last attempt to build a pen for her. Is this worth doing or do you think its past the point of it helping?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:30 am

That's only a question you can answer. I do think a pen would definitely help lower the aggression levels and make her happier.

But at the same time I do think it would be good to get her into a new situation as soon as possible. I don't know if it's okay to keep her unhappy for a few weeks if you can find her a new home now. If you could get a pen tomorrow or the next day from a hardware store that's secure, then I think you could give that a try. But if it is going to be more than a couple weeks, I think giving her up would be best for her and for you.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:45 am

Yes things to consider:

How long till you can have an enclosure she can stay in? A house/nest box in it, enrichment stuff etc also.

Can you make it safe? That was your big concern with not doing it so far.

She is used to acting aggressive with you now. Do you have the time and dedication it will take to work on breaking those bad habits? Having her own enclosure will help a lot but will not be a magic bullet to fix it all soon as put in there.
Shelbykdl

Postby Shelbykdl » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:22 am

I honestly think that a new situation would be best. Not because I want her but because she's use to being that way with you and knows she can get away with it now. With me she'll be able to see how my foxes act with me and I promise I'll take the time with her to teach her what is exceptable. Also I live in Florida and am willing to come get her if that shows you how dedicated I am.

Return to “Training, Behavior & Enrichment”