PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

How to act with food aggression? And if there attacking?

Topics include: Tricks, litter, toys, aggression, personality, walks, etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

H20 Sl

How to act with food aggression? And if there attacking?

Postby H20 Sl » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:47 pm

I recently gave Bo some meat after a while, and I usually can pet him on the back no problem, but today, he actually tried to attack me. He was giving signs the moment i touched him so I kept my distance but was pretty off gaurd. But I needed to get my phone from one of the shelves. He came up to me and was geckering, trying to bite my leg. I did hit him away because i was afraid of getting attacked, I yelled, but he came back a few more time to try and get a chunk out outta me. He would have defiently bit me if i turned my back. Do you think he was just hungry sense i havent given him meat recently? It was quite alot, I usually bribe him for meat to let me pick him up to go into the garage after hes in his enclosure. Also, is there maybe a way i can get him into his enclosure without having to carry him? like a tunnel system? I don't know :lol:. But i defiently didn't know how to respond in my opinion, I probally did this all wrong, with all the wrong methods. How should I act in this situation? I do take it personally because I thought he trusted me. I wouldn't think he would try and hurt me, but I guess he would. Sigh, I guess I'll just brush it off, but I do want to know how to act when this happens. It's not like i can change him really.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to act with food aggression? And if there attacking?

Postby Ash » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:24 pm

What are you feeding Bo regularly? While they definitely can get very food aggressive (especially in the cold months) this level of aggression sounds like it could be more. He may need a few weeks where you get lots of good food into him. It could be he has some sort of deficiency in him. Sounds like Fable when he had a taurine deficiency.

In the future, just be extra cautious. He won't hold this moment against you, but next time you can try to back off quicker when you start seeing the signs. When Fable had his deficiency I could spend about 10 minutes with him before I would have to leave. He could only tolerate me so long before the aggression would burst out.

Try not taking him out of his enclosure for now. It may do you more harm than good right now. He should be spent time with, but only as long as he can tolerate you for. The moment he starts showing aggression signs, leave so you don't get bit.

All this being said, you may have just seen a very crazy moment of food aggression from him. It may not be anything more than that, but just in case it is, wanted to give suggestions.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
H20 Sl

Postby H20 Sl » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:10 am

He has Blue Buffalo Wilderness dry dog food available 24/7, I give him eggs as a treat, usually out in his pen, and i have some deer and goose meat, gizzards of those things, fat, heart, legs, ect. I give him occational bread as a treat for tricks and the like. I give him 2 gizzards at a time. I give some spine at a time. And I'll give him some goose feet, but with maybe some fat and pieces of meat. all the goose are scraps from hunters who just breast the animal and leave the rest if the meat. The parts of the deer was from a friend.

I always do worry that I don't give him enough, but you'll be the judge of that. Should I keep him outside or in the garage? I could actually get a dog pen and block off the entrance to the garage so he's inside but has air. It's defiently irritating for him for me having to pick him up all the time.

I wish I recorded it, he was screaming and just going crazy, wagging his tail. It's just that he hasnt been that aggressive as he got older. He's taken his food over to me to eat by me, just laying down and me petting his back, it hasn't been a problem sense he was a kit.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:15 pm

Well, only you know what portions you're feeding and how often. So I can't really be the one to judge. But it sounds like he's getting a varied diet. He wouldn't be getting enough taurine from the dog food alone, so it's important that he gets it regularly (even daily) from a different source. Hearts and livers and dark meats contain lots of taurine. You could get one of those buckets of chicken livers from walmart and feed him those daily and see if it makes a difference.

Outdoor enclosure vs garage with open door would be up to you, though I personally would put a fox outside given the choice.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:58 pm

There is the fox fed that Ash uses and recommends; that would be a good replacement for your current dog food.
H20 Sl

Postby H20 Sl » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:50 pm

Thank you for the suggestions Ash, I'll plan to get some today. I think you were right, he had a deficiency, because, I don't think I was feeding him enough, or as frequently as he need. I knew he needed tourine, but I wasn't too concerned..

I would love to get that food, but I don't know exactly how to obtain it. I would have to drive, because he doesn't ship right? I'm wondering if there's anyway for it to be shipped out to me. I'll pay extra.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:40 pm

So the feed is Heartland Blend in Nebraska and the farmer who makes it is John. I will PM you his contact info and you can ask if he will ship to you. Normally he ships by the ton or half ton, but he may make exceptions.

I had always known they needed lots of taurine, but I totally let it slip Fable's second winter. He got a lot of raw meat, but not enough taurine. It happens. What's important though is you recognize the problem and are ready and willing to fix it. :)
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:28 pm

Ash wrote:He got a lot of raw meat, but not enough taurine.

This is an interesting comment because I was planning to raise rabbits, rats, chickens and ducks with the mind set that my fox will be eating the whole rabbits and rats, along with fresh eggs. Is feeding raw meat not enough?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:19 pm

Sorry for the confusion. WHOLE prey is enough. I was feeding a lot of chicken legs at the time, not whole chicken.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:48 pm

H20 Sl wrote:Also, is there maybe a way i can get him into his enclosure without having to carry him? like a tunnel system?

Some use a tunnel or a enclosed bridge type walkway to go into the enclosure. But you could also tech him to go in a carrier so you just move that without having to touch him.

Not really that hard to make, though when using a stronger gauge wire you might need to clamp the pieces together instead of bending like they did here.

Return to “Training, Behavior & Enrichment”