PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Odd change in behavior

Topics include: Tricks, litter, toys, aggression, personality, walks, etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ryan20

Odd change in behavior

Postby Ryan20 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:56 pm

:shrug: hopefully someone can help me with this. Was wondering if anyone could give me tips on getting trust back?
Last week me and my fox was playing with her new toys and she jumped off her ramp that she has in her outdoor cage on to a stump and slipped. Which she fractured her leg but ever since then she hasn't been her self she doesn't eat much. Doesn't take treats even when I put them in front of her. I don't know if it's because I had to hold her while the vet checked/ put the splint on her leg. I'm guessing I broke are bond because she runs when I come in her cage, she doesn't want to come inside. She runs to her dog house and yips,barks and growls. She's even tried to bite at me till I leave. Has anyone had this problem?
Before she was really lovable and sweet as can be to me most of the time.
She's 9 months old now, I got her when she was 4ishmonths I know that's passed the bonding but we hit it off since the first day we met, just a few times she's nipped me when I got to close

Would the anger be caused from having to wear the cone so she doesn't tear the splint? :wall:
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Odd change in behavior

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:37 pm

Is she not on any pain meds? Pain can make them act like that.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:36 pm

Yes, that can cause a change in behavior. Having a cone and a splint really stresses foxes out, and when a fox is stressed, it can show it through aggressive behavior. As TG mentioned, pain can cause them to act aggressively too.

I personally think that once she has recovered and is no longer uncomfortable that she will be back to normal.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Ryan20

Postby Ryan20 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:52 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Is she not on any pain meds? Pain can make them act like that.

Yes but the vet told me to just give her 1/4 of the dog pain relief meds you get from petsmart once a day. Should I give her half since on the bottle it states half a tablet for dogs 10lb or more?
Also should I just let her stay in her outdoor pin till she calms down a bit and starts to feel better? So far it's been 5 days that she won't let me near her to bring her inside.
She also just finished shedding her winter coat and it's got pretty chilly at night but she's a arctic fox, just don't want her getting sick.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:32 pm

That's odd because that's just asprin normally a vet would prescribe Meloxicam instead though now my vet and the E-vet has switched to Buprenorphine. Since a narcotic it's a little safer unless there's a reason to give an anti-infamitory instead.

I wouldn't give her any more of the asprin as it's the most risky of the three. I'm sure she's okay out there temperature wise so long as she's not moving around too much it would be okay to leave her out there. If they move around too much the splint can wear against their leg. Been there and done that with Beaker. The cast rubbed and so eventually went to splint but that kept coming off and needing redone all the time.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:35 pm

You will likely just have to wait till she's all better then work on winning her over again.

Kinda having similar issue with Jake right now as he hurt his leg and is a pain to give his meds too. The vet said the antibiotic shot wouldn't be good enough since it was infected pretty bad so were stuck giving him liquids and fighting it into him. So he tends to run when he sees me now.

They'll both get over it eventually.

Return to “Training, Behavior & Enrichment”