https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Highly Experimental Training - (Fennec) Fox and Cat

Topics include: Tricks, litter, toys, aggression, personality, walks, etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

binarynightmare

Highly Experimental Training - (Fennec) Fox and Cat

Postby binarynightmare » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:45 pm

Hey everybody,

In a few months I'll be adopting my first fennec fox kit - although I do have prior exotic animal experience.

If you've ever researched or owned a fennec, you probably know that one of the biggest downsides to these adorable little guys seems to be their ineptitude when it comes to training. The general consensus is that they can be very friendly and loving, but are just hyper balls of aloofness when it comes to any positive or negative reinforcement.

To me, having my fennec learn 'sit' or 'shake' would be kinda cool - but achieving even moderate potty training success would be REALLY cool. Facilitating a notable desire for human affection or interaction would be amazing as well.

So here is what I'm interested in trying: What if a fennec fox kit was raised side by side with a domestic kitten? We know it's safe - and even encouraged - to have monitored cross species friendships for a fennec. But this would be taking it a step further in hopes of having the fennec fox pick up and emulate a lot of the awesome behaviors it's domesticated furry friend.

I can't help but think that this could open up a lot of doors in terms of litter training, disposition molding, and socialization.

Although hardly scientific, many zoos do something very similar with their cheetahs and golden retrievers in order to reduce skittishness and increase trainability. https://www.cesarsway.com/about-dogs/do ... g-together

What do you guys think? Crazy? Worth trying? Better suited for a dog and fennec dynamic?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Highly Experimental Training - (Fennec) Fox and Cat

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:36 pm

Maybe a small dog would be better. Cats don't really look for human approval either. Cats use the box pretty much instinctually and other than that most don't really train them and if you do it would be similar to fox training where you need to make it worth their while. Dog are the ones that will do stuff just to make you happy and eager to learn how.

Return to “Training, Behavior & Enrichment”