PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Tries to attack everytime he sees my brother

Topics include: Tricks, litter, toys, aggression, personality, walks, etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

H20 Sl

Tries to attack everytime he sees my brother

Postby H20 Sl » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:12 pm

Bo Attacked my brother this morning XD. He was wagging his tail so I thought maybe this would be a good time to try and get him to be a bit friendlier with my brother. He always tries to bite him despite my brother being afraid of him and being very sweet to Bo XD. It wasn't a bad bite, but he did get him. He was attacking my brothers shoes and legs, and was going for his hands. He never geckered, just charged pretty much. He will always charge throught the enclosure too at him. What could this be? Is my brother intimidating?
TurkRoach

Re: Tries to attack everytime he sees my brother

Postby TurkRoach » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:33 pm

How does you brother show fear?
Bora Kalem
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:28 pm

Hmm.. Does he show this behavior to you or anyone else at all? Or just to your brother?

From your description about going after the feet and hands, that's what Carousel would do when she would attack. It was because she came to me with extreme vitamin deficiencies and her body felt off.

I think if Bo had some sort of deficiency though he would show this behavior toward everyone.

How old is your brother? He may be afraid of him. If your brother fed him treats through the bars of the cage, that could really help their relationship. Does Bo react this way towards other men? What about other women? (for some reason I'm assuming you're a woman, so could be totally off on that)
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
H20 Sl

Postby H20 Sl » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:14 pm

TurkRoach wrote:How does you brother show fear?

Yes he does
Ash wrote:Hmm.. Does he show this behavior to you or anyone else at all? Or just to your brother?

From your description about going after the feet and hands, that's what Carousel would do when she would attack. It was because she came to me with extreme vitamin deficiencies and her body felt off.

I think if Bo had some sort of deficiency though he would show this behavior toward everyone.

How old is your brother? He may be afraid of him. If your brother fed him treats through the bars of the cage, that could really help their relationship. Does Bo react this way towards other men? What about other women? (for some reason I'm assuming you're a woman, so could be totally off on that)

It just seems like he shows this towards him. He's just starting to like my mom when she comes over. I give Bo chicken livers, but he doesnt really like them :(. He's not show aggression towards me at all, that's why I don't think it's a deficiencey, but it could be. I doesn't like the livers, and I havent seen him eat any. My brother is 13, but looks like a full grown man lol XD, so he could be feeling threatened. He doesn't act that way around my dad from what Ive seen. Bo's not really the most friendly fox to strangers in the first place, but he doesn't attack unless provoked, which my brother wasnt doing at all. I am a woman, you're not off hah XD. I know alot of dogs are scared of my brother, but my brother is so friendly and timid with them.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:33 pm

If other animals show fear toward him, it could be his overall presence and how he carries himself. But it's still weird for a fox to attack like that unless it felt really threatened. Yeah, it doesn't sound like a deficiency if it's really only toward your brother. That's Bo being selective, so it's something about him specifically.

I hate to say that and give up guessing, but if other animals react like that toward him, seems to add up. :/
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:02 pm

I don't know if your brother was nervous the first time they met but at this point that is probably the biggest issue and Bo is also now in the habit of doing this as well. Hyzzie was a dog but this will show the animal mind: She was a feral rescue and was nippy and scared with most people but one lady she really liked and she let that lady pet her whenever they met. One day Hyzzie nipped at her but didn't make contact, like a defensive bluff. Found out the lady had been badly bitten by someone elses' little dog recently and was now scared of little dogs. I didn't see it but Hyzzie sensed it and reacted.

I'd say the best thing to do is keep them apart, as you'd need to work on the behavior and emotions of both. It can be hard to train a brother. But if your brother wants to try and befriend Bo then he can sit for long periods of time near the enclosure so that Bo gets used to his presence. I'd save offering treats till he's done this a a lot. Ideally stay till Bo calms down and ignores him then he can leave. Bo will eventually get tired of attacking and get used to him sitting there being nonthreatening. Later he can start walking around the outside and such as the new movements could trigger fear again. Once Bo is used to his being there and moving around he can offer treats.

I say save the treats, as foxes are smart and if offering when he's still scared will be seen as luring him(which it is) possibly to his doom(which it isn't but he'll fear that it is a trap.)
H20 Sl

Postby H20 Sl » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:52 pm

Yeah, its not really a big deal if bo doesnt like him, my brother doesnt really care to be honest xD. He would like to be with Bo, but hes not a big animal person in the first place xD. I was just curious why he was doing what he was doing. Ill tell my brother that he can try and sit with bo outside the enclosure and eventually try and give him treats. Ill let him read this post.

Also, totally off topic, but a few questions. Coyotes are coming up to the enclosure and taunting bo, or trying to eat him. I have no clue. Bo alarm barks and screams all night. My neighbor told me about the coyotes. How can I scare them off? I dont want to shoot them (someone recomended that).

Also, I need to give bo worm prevenitive. Whats the best brand? I was looking at heartgaurd, is this ok?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:18 pm

Revolution. It helps prevent worms and heartworms and fleas and ticks and mites and it's just the one mild chemical instead of having to give several.

You need a secondary fence to keep the coyotes from getting too close if you don't have one already. Foxes have been killed before through single fencing. Motion lights might work but they will probably learn quick that no one shows up with the light. Motion activated sprinklers might work better but a bit more work to set up.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:00 pm

I'd be worried about the coyotes. Kay Fedewa's red fox Anya was killed by a coyote through the bars of her enclosure. I agree about secondary fencing. It will keep Bo safe. Bo may think they're animals to play with, and maybe some coyotes are friendly to him, but there's a good chance they aren't all there to say hi. So secure fencing is a must, in my opinion.
H20 Sl

Postby H20 Sl » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:38 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Revolution. It helps prevent worms and heartworms and fleas and ticks and mites and it's just the one mild chemical instead of having to give several.

You need a secondary fence to keep the coyotes from getting too close if you don't have one already. Foxes have been killed before through single fencing. Motion lights might work but they will probably learn quick that no one shows up with the light. Motion activated sprinklers might work better but a bit more work to set up.

Thank you, this is good to know.

Ash wrote:I'd be worried about the coyotes. Kay Fedewa's red fox Anya was killed by a coyote through the bars of her enclosure. I agree about secondary fencing. It will keep Bo safe. Bo may think they're animals to play with, and maybe some coyotes are friendly to him, but there's a good chance they aren't all there to say hi. So secure fencing is a must, in my opinion.

Yeah, I don't think he thinks they are friends. He screams and does his alarm bark when he see's them. He doesnt even like dogs so im not too worried about him trying to become friends, just that he might charge toward the fence and theyll get a hold of his muzzle if he tries to bite. The cage is welded wire, and not big holes at all fro a coyote sized muzzle, but I will put some smaller gauge welded wire around all of it to be safe. I know the coyotes arnt hungry, the neighbors said they are huge, but they defienty wouldnt mind a foxy dinner given the chance :(.

Return to “Training, Behavior & Enrichment”