PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Litter training/play bitting

Topics include: Tricks, litter, toys, aggression, personality, walks, etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Aluna

Litter training/play bitting

Postby Aluna » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:03 pm

Our red fox is two months old and we have been trying to litter box train her but she only goes in it every so often but mostly she just plays with the litter and lays in it. Is there a certain brand of cat litter I should use? I also use spray in the box to attract her. Also I know people have said to use a toy when playing with foxes to avoid her biting our hands but she goes past the toys and still bite our hands. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Litter training/play bitting

Postby Ash » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:14 am

Sorry, I've been away from the board for a few days, so haven't seen this question yet.

When they're kits they have no concept of cleanliness and will step and lay in their waste. That's something that they grow out of with age. They become a lot cleaner animals as they get older. To help with litter training, I've found limiting the fox's personal space really helps. Make their area smaller with the litter box taking up a big portion of the space (may want to get a kiddy pool for the litter box as she gets older). Having a smaller area like this really helps with the training. Also, when your fox is playing, remember to take her back to the box so that she can alleviate herself if she wants to. She'll need frequent reminders to "go" in the box. And if she goes outside the litter box, pick it up and put it in the box so she sees where it's supposed to go. Hopefully that helps. That worked for the two foxes that I raised from kits.

As for the biting. While all foxes like to play with their mouths, the painful biting is mostly a kit thing. When I raised Ifrit, I actually let her playbite with me, but if she started getting too rough I'd ignore her or sometimes snap my fingers to get her attention elsewhere. So I let her learn her limits and by the time she grew up, she knew how to be super gentle with her mouth.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Aluna

Postby Aluna » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:12 am

When we are away at work she is in a cage until we build her enclosure (hopefully soon), should I put the litter box in her cage? I just feel bad since it will take up half the cage.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:38 am

I use more than one litter pan for my foxes and raccoons. the bigger it is the better. I use the cement mixing pans for their litter box
as a kit, a large "kitty box" would help, but, definately, something bigger as they grow.

only use a thin layer of litter. I line mine with newspaper, then put a thin layer of litter in the box.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/MacCourt-Drywa ... ns/1054711

my first fox did good with the litter box. didn't take him long to figure it out.
it was so cute, in a weird way, every time he would use the littler pan, he would look at me, almost to say "see, I am using the litter pan" :lol:
when I got my other two foxes, they pretty much did what my first fox did for using the litter pan.

as for the biting, what I did was grab their canine, put my fist in his mouth so he couldn't bite down. tell him "no bite" didn't take long for him to figure it out. however, you have to be pretty quick about it.

use a large stuffed animals to bite in lieu of your hand.

hopefully, you will get her enclosure done soon. keeping a fox in a cage is not a good idea, however, I understand you have to put your kit somewhere when you are not at home.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Aluna

Postby Aluna » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:34 pm

Did any of your foxes play in it? I feel like she plays with it more than she uses it. She uses it sometimes and I put her poop in it to show her where it goes.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:30 pm

That's okay if it takes up half the cage. In the beginning, the more space it takes up the better. :)

My foxes played in the litter a lot when they were kits. Even when they got older they would dig in it or if it was fresh litter they'd roll all around in it.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Aluna

Postby Aluna » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:13 pm

Thanks for the info!! I'll start putting her litter box in the cage with her.

Return to “Training, Behavior & Enrichment”