ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Outside training/Leash training

Topics include: Tricks, litter, toys, aggression, personality, walks, etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Aluna

Outside training/Leash training

Postby Aluna » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:21 pm

Does anyone have any tips on leash training your fox? I take ours outside and let her walk me around but when I try to go where I want she doesn't want to go. I know she needs to be trained to walk with a leash. Also, I've seen foxes being able to go outside and play without one. I'm so afraid that she will run away and wouldn't be able to be caught. Any tips on that? Thanks for any advice!!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Outside training/Leash training

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:44 pm

Aluna wrote:Also, I've seen foxes being able to go outside and play without one. I'm so afraid that she will run away and wouldn't be able to be caught. Any tips on that? Thanks for any advice!!

Yeah don't. Seriously that's not safe and foxes are getting lost all the time. Some people let them run in their yards but they can jump fences. So yeah don't.

You just let them walk you and the leash is for safety so they can't run off and you can scoop them up for safety. I carry a crate to put them in if needed. Like big dog or freak out because a motorcycle went by or something.

You can try to lure them with treats or give gentle tugs away from something but walking a fox is not like walking a dog. With the anteaters it helps to walk them on a trail. then when they go to the edge of the trail I can give a gentle tug with the leash and keep them on the trail and there's that visual barrier of a trail to help. But start walking around the yard and let them get used to it first as well as the tugs so they don't freak out. Some just wont ever take to being walked though.

So you walk where they go but best control you can hope for is a tug or two turning them away from something, not walk where ever you want them to like dogs.
Aluna

Postby Aluna » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:55 pm

I will definitely try that thanks!!
Lara

Postby Lara » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:35 pm

I trained my fox to walk on a leash, and he was better than any of the dogs I pet sit. I walked him on a harness when he was young, but as he matured, he liked the collar better. I ended up using both as a safety precaution, but mainly the collar for control. I would take one mile walks with him every other day, and either do agility or just play in the yard on other days.

I would definitely use a harness if your fox is okay with it, but it isn't a bad idea to do a short leash on their collar connected to the harness leash, in case they slip one. Make sure they are completely comfortable with the harness, and that it fits snuggly.

To start, you can get a dog run from home depot, attach the harness to the pull, and play with them. This gets them used to being restricted but still being relaxed. Do some general training, and make sure they know how to sit, lay down, come, and stay.

Once they do well on a run, find a short stretch of land that is two different materials, Such as a drive way (grass and concrete). Teach them to walk straight back and forth. To do this, gently tug them if they try to go into the grass, and redirect them with a treat. You should always use treats for positive reinforcement, but make sure it isn't something they get too excited about. I used sweet potato, but it really just depends on the fox.

Eventually, when they walk back and forth well, take them to where ever you are planning on walking them. This must be a low traffic area. Expect to have to pick them up whenever a car drives by at first. Using the same technique as you did to teach them to walk on your driveway, teach them to walk a short distance. You can continue to extend it. Once my boy figured out how to do it, it was his favorite thing in the world. He loved going to new places!

A few tips:

1. It helps to teach your fox to lay down when a car or person passes. To do this, tell them to sit each time someone passes. This is so easy for them, they should readily do it if you offer a treat as the person or car goes by. Eventually, they will be relaxed enough to learn how to lay down.

2. Try bringing a water bottle along during warm walks. A thirsty fox will just refuse to walk, and mine loved drinking from a water bottle.

3. Take it slow! It took my fox about a year to master it, and going too fast can make it even harder.

Hope that helps! Every fox is different, so make sure you pay close attention to how they feel. Also, you have to be alert at all times. One time, the neighbor's pit bull beagle mix escaped, and probably would have attacked if I wasn't quick enough. And don't let ANY strangers touch your fox. It's not worth the risk.
Aluna

Postby Aluna » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:02 am

Thank you!! The more tips the better lol. She just got fixed yesterday so I might wait a couple days before trying these out.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:21 pm

Lara, those are some great leash-training tips. Thank you.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas

Return to “Training, Behavior & Enrichment”