PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Single Person / Family Fox? + Pickups

Topics include: Tricks, litter, toys, aggression, personality, walks, etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Nekiko

Single Person / Family Fox? + Pickups

Postby Nekiko » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:50 pm

About Red Foxes, I've read that they're very "single-person" oriented. So does that mean that they typically enjoy the company of only one person? I'm sure you fox owners trained your foxes to be friendly to guests and such, but do they stick to you mainly?

Also, in training, picking up a fox while he/she's still a kit, does that help for when they're adults? There were conflicting articles concerning that in which the fox will outgrow it and dislike it, or be more comfortable being picked up as an adult.

As always, thank you for any advice, especially personal experience!
Lara

Re: Single Person / Family Fox? + Pickups

Postby Lara » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:22 pm

It is really important to socialize your kit when they are young. If you do, it will likely be great with other people, but have a special bond with you. Just make sure everyone who meets your fox is educated on how to act, so they don't have any bad experiences that make them cautious about new people.

Picking up your fox as a kit will definitely make it easier when they are an adult, but if you spend enough time training, they will eventually be fine with it either way.

The easiest way to do it is to establish one way to pick them up every time and never change it. This makes them feel safer, as they know exactly what to expect. I always just put my arm/hand on my foxes stomach and lifted him up to hold him against my side. He actually liked it, and would just kind of relax and wag his tail when I picked him up.

I didn't carry my fox for a long long distance till he was around 3 months when we got stuck in a storm on a walk. He was positively terrified of walking through puddles, so I carried him around half a mile home :roll:

Hope that helps! Some foxes are just a little more skittish than others, but if you work with them, they'll usually come around (:
Nekiko

Postby Nekiko » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:38 pm

How often did you train your fox? What kind of trears work?
Lara

Postby Lara » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:02 am

For training him to be held, I just picked him up a few times a day, nothing all that difficult. On a regular basis, I rotated through a schedule of either taking him on walks, training him to do some general tricks, and doing a little agility course.

For treats, you want something that your fox enjoys, but isn't too food aggressive over. It is also good if it is healthy, as then you can give them more of it without worrying if it will make them sick or gain too much weight. My personal favorite is sweet potato since it is easy to prepare (just microwave) and they can chew and swallow it quickly. I have also made treats by mixing cooked sweet potato, a teeny bit of peanut butter, chia seeds, and fennel, and then rolling the mixture into little balls and freezing it. That works great for hot days, and he loved it.

In general, it is best to just experiment with different vegetables to see what your fox likes the most. I have heard of people having success with peas or carrots, but they never worked for me. Once my boy was really trained, I could use chicken, but he still got a little too excited about it. If you want to use any kind of meat, make sure you train your fox to know the difference between your hand and a treat (It's a very subtle difference to them :P).

Return to “Training, Behavior & Enrichment”