PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

[training advice needed] socialize fox

Topics include: Tricks, litter, toys, aggression, personality, walks, etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Vata Raven

[training advice needed] socialize fox

Postby Vata Raven » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:44 pm

Okay, so no fox, but still was curious about something.

So at this point and time, the household only holds me and my mother, but we do get visitors (friends and family). Obviously someone who comes to spray the house for bugs, I would lock the fox away so it won't attack or feel threatened. But if I have a friend that comes to visit (or even my sister), I would be okay with the fox roaming it's given space.

What I imagine since it's only two people in the household, the fox should/would be become use to me and my mother, but I would like to work on something to help the fox to get used to visitors and the vet.

Any advice, or it is a lost cause?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [training advice needed] socialize fox

Postby Ash » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:28 pm

It's not a lost cause. Inviting a lot of people you trust over to see the fox when young certainly helps. When I got Ifrit, she lived with just my sister and I. She still turned out to be a social bug. I think it's because family would come and visit periodically when she was little. We also had friends come out every once in a while. She was always happy to see people, even if she ran and darted away when she was little. She grew up to be the fox she is now, and I can always count on her to be the one to interact the most with visitors.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:19 pm

I guess it helps if you have family and friends that lives closer.

When we get to Wyoming, the majority of the family will be in Pennsylvania, with my sister in New Mexico.

I foresee an anti-social fox.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:30 pm

A lot depends on the fox. You certainly have a better chance if you have visitors often while young but a fox with few or no visitors might just still like them when they do show up and one who's been intensely socialized may decide to not like anyone but it's one person. Some people have had daily contact with the owning couple and the fox decides it hates one of them(usually the male partner for some reason).

Ikigai hasn't had many visitors but loves them when they do visit if they follow his rules which mainly is sitting in his safe zone because he's still a weirdo who doesn't like to leave his little corner of the world. This is probably my fault for not taking him around to other areas more but I actually don't mind it at all.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:35 pm

As for the vet frequent visits where no procedures are done but treats given will help though you may have to pay for that or if like my vet they may be thrilled for him to stop by if not taking up exam time. Like some dogs I know love the vet because they went to the office every weekend for free training the vet hosts there. But ouchy things like the shots could still turn them off. Beaker hates the vet after his broken leg ordeal. Ikigai loved his vet visit but I've not taken him regularly like I should or would have if I lived closer. (he hasn't gotten vaccines yet for reasons I've covered elsewhere).
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:58 pm

Ah, thanks for sharing your stories

I guess it will be a luck of the draw for me. I just hope aggression won't be an issue. I am making sure my fox will have much space to roam.

Return to “Training, Behavior & Enrichment”